Family battle bus

arm3000gt

The Volvo XC90 is a nice car to drive and will cope well with what your wanting it for. Drives more car like than typical 4x4, I have recently bought one and enjoy driving it. Averaging 31-32 mpg got 39.2 on run back from Norfolk.

The wife has suggested this would be her preferred choice. I can certainly live with that fuel economy. Better than the current V70 and far better than the Ford Explorer I had two years ago.

Edited by arm3000gt

For this budget, I would consider the 2.2 diesel Frontera. Drove one for three years, towing a large motocross box trailer. Far superior to drive than the Discovery it replaced. Good MPG, cheap etc. Saw one last week - 65k miles, with full service history - £2.5k.

For this budget, I would consider the 2.2 diesel Frontera. Drove one for three years, towing a large motocross box trailer. Far superior to drive than the Discovery it replaced. Good MPG, cheap etc. Saw one last week - 65k miles, with full service history - £2.5k.

I was thinking about getting one of them last year as I do like the look of them but whenever I saw what I thought looked like a nice clean one I checked the gov MOT history on them and every one had chassis rust advisory on the MOT found the same with most Mitsubishi 4x4s as well that is why I got a jeep cherokee no separate chassis to rust out.

4wd, higher ground clearance, heavier towing capacity - which you want? Much higher mpg than you're after, though you may struggle to find a good one in budget...

You are right but a little more space would be good. I would like something that ticks all boxes not just most of them. I have a suspicion I would feel a little disappointed with the scout. Not because it's not capable in all the things you list, but because it would be another Skoda Estate. Fancy something different I guess.

• 5 weeks later...

Just to update this as I hate threads that you don't hear the end.

My 02 Skoda has reached the end of it's economic life for me. Needs a few things doing so I'm hoping to off load to someone who has more time than me to fix up. The V70 is now my daily driver.

As soon as the Skoda goes I'll start looking for the next vehicle.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update. The Skoda has been sent to it's final resting place in the Czech republic :( . The Volvo goes in for MoT and a few minor repairs in the next couple of weeks.

It's a toss up between Volvo XC90 and Nissan Terrano. Wife favours the Volvo, I'm leaning towards the Nissan for it's simplicity compared to the Volvo. Hopefully go view a couple soon.

Just some thoughts about the road tax thing a 2005 one could be say £270 a year but a later one could £500 so we are talking about £200 over a year if you consider a newer car/truck should have less miles less wear and less rust add to the fact that its depreciating in value is the extra £200+ a year worth worrying about in the long run.

If I had the space I would go for a nice tax free and rust free pree 1970 American four wheel drive pickup truck V8 running on LPG last for ever as long as you look after it they have proper thick steel chassis not like the tin foil they use on land rovers. :good: :good:

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I'll certainly look into the XC90. Didn't really consider them before, owner reviews seem promising.

Just something that can handle ruts, deep pot holes and wet field better than an estate. No real need for Defender levels of off road ability.

Anyone owned a XC90 and Colorado? How do they compare comfort etc.

Xc 90 is much better as a long distance drive than the Colorado. The Toyota is a superbly sorted motor tho` & capable of high mileages if looked after.

• 2 months later...

Well I ended up with a 2003 Kia Sorento. I had to cut the budget due to various reasons and the 'new' car had to have isofix because the new seat my wife bought only does isofix. This cut down my options considerably for the budget. Sorento is not the most roomy inside and doesn't have the originally desired 7 seats but for the price hard to argue. 77,000 2 owners, last for 11 years. Body and chassis in very good condition for the year. I got a base spec without auto 4x4 which should avoid transfer box issues. Mpg should be about the same or slightly better than the Volvo. I've got about 800 miles of driving over the Christmas period so fingers crossed it's a good'un.

Edited by arm3000gt

• 3 months later...

How are you getting on with the Kia I have found one local to me for sale that I’m looking at tomorrow we are looking at a 07 xt with the full leather etc 

have you tried it of road as last season I had to take the wife’s scenic to a shoot and got stuck it was not fun being pushed out on my first day at a new shoot by the guns ☺️

On 20/03/2018 at 22:55, Simonmealing001 said:

How are you getting on with the Kia I have found one local to me for sale that I’m looking at tomorrow we are looking at a 07 xt with the full leather etc 

have you tried it of road as last season I had to take the wife’s scenic to a shoot and got stuck it was not fun being pushed out on my first day at a new shoot by the guns ☺️

Sorry for delayed reply only just seen this. In case you haven't bought something already here is my experience so far.

It coped well in the recent snow only needed to engage 4wd on a few occasions. Was in a muddy inclined car park before Christmas, 2wd drive cars and vans needed to be pulled out, the Kia just chugged its way out easily. I've got road biased budget tires on at the moment, so with a set of decent tyres can't see it would struggle with anything but serious off road conditions. Happily does what I required of it and the wife likes it too.

Fuel economy is around 29mpg average at the moment. 25 in the recent cold weather but normally about 28 on my commute and driving about. Gets about 33 on a motorway run. Not very efficient compared to more modern SUV types but very good value for money when factor in purchase price.

It's certainly no sports car but happily cruise along and keep up with traffic. Not done any serious towing but can't see why it would be an issue. Quite a lot of oil required for an oil change but easy enough to do yourself. Plenty of space around the engine to access things, but oil filter is a little awkward to get at.

Any questions just ask.

• 1 month later...

Cool thank you just seen your reply 

we did get one we picked up a 07 plate xt ltd edition   Full leather all the Crome etc like new inside and out 

I’m really enjoying it fuel wise it’s not bad compared to my old n plate c class but driving style has changed  and yes not as fast