Lurcher Training

Okay, I can train a passible retriever or pointer, and my hounds will do their job well to. I can even give you a well trained sled team. But I really am not too sure how to go about training a sight hound. I have a rough idea put together in my wee brain as to the steps I will take if I do decide to purchase one of my own this year, However how about someone who has experiance in this line of training, post up a training program that I can compare too. I am sure that I am not seeing everything that I should.

If I follow this through I will be looking to run the dog in woodland cover for snowshoe hares as well as open fields for European hare. So how about it someone willing to post up?

Hi flock train the ****er exactly as you would a spaniel or retriever..

Stop, Stay and blind stay,return call. Leave as in dont touch that means anything including food,fur or feather.

Retrieve and of course hold as in not to release.

You know the crack as most of the way i have trained my last dog was based on gundog schooling. But i forgot to add the blast of the gun ,lol.

One thing for sure is that you aint never got to learn the ****er to chase anything..

A good thing flock is getting the dog not to chase if you know what i mean. :lol:

post-13-1078168015.jpg

NTTF, despite what you may hear, lurchers are not to be trained like others. They are very SENSITIVE dogs. Please read Jackie Drayford or Brian Plummer before purchasing. Oh my god, this seems weird, me giving you advice! Lets say that the rules don't apply to lurchers. OK. If you proceed, allthe things you know about dogs will only help; slightly. Good luck NTTF.

Lurcherboy.

PS never ever lose it with a sighthound, 10 steps forward and 10 million backwards. :lol:

YP may be able to help. Seems to know a thing or two.

. Please read Jackie Drayford or Brian Plummer before purchasing.

Is there a mail order purchasing house for these and other books? This is Canada where very few people run long dogs, dig or ferret...therefore there are no books concerning these sports.

Oh my god, this seems weird, me giving you advice!

Lurcher Boy this is how we all learn....Iknow there are a lot of people I owe thanks to over the past 25 years or so.

PS never ever lose it with a sighthound, 10 steps forward and 10 million backwards. :D

Sound advice for any breed

:lol:

NTTF what ever you do DO NOT LISTEN to what brian plummer wrote the man was a brilliant writer but no dog trainer. And lurcher boy you have obviously never trained pointers.

TC:

Have kinda got that impression over the past year......dont think that I would take him too seriously,judging by what I've heard...... :lol::D

Allways watch out for the theorists,lol. Especialy the ones that write about other people doing the do..

Also watch out for the advice off young impresionable school boys that always has a mate who`s dads uncle brother`s sister "walks the walk" :lol:

Flock train the ****er like a gundog and you aint never gona go wrong..

Oh and the bird that was shot was a Mistle Thrush,lol.

post-13-1078342690.jpg

Okay I've mulled this over for for quite sometime now, and taken in what people have posted and PM'd for me and I think I have a Fairly sound plan for when I get a dog. I will be training using many of the common obediance guidelines I use on all breeds, some of the pointer training guidelines that I use on the continental breeds, and a good dash of hound training I use on the coonhounds and beagles. Couple this with a sound pup from good working stock and I think I might be able to make a dog....... :lol: .

Cheers all

and remember Keep it FUN

Couple this with a sound pup from good working stock and I think I might be able to make a dog....... :lol: .

Choice of stock or cross might be the most important thing.

I've only been out a couple of times with lurchers and loved it.

Getting them to bring to hand appears to be what most people conceive as the main problem.

The most famous local dog(I'm sure there is one in every community) was a golden retriever crossed with a greyhound. It caught 26,000 rabbits in the early 50s.

It once caught 12 foxes, 9 were cubs, that had been flushed from earths on a hunt day, much to the annoyance of the huntsmen!

It's name was Rusty and belonged to Bill Read, a local pub landlord, and ex policeman.

Hi Rimmer thats approximatly seven Rabbits a day for 10 years??

It must of been some dog as it has taken other things too to add to its tally?

Just wondering did you ever see this dog work??

Or was the tale told by the owner of the old dog??

Only i just thought i would mention that some Ex Bobbys do tend to lie a little even Rob from the unfortunate and the Old.

Quite often some have raped the inocent too so i would beware of suspect Ex Hossifier`s :lol:

To Hand

post-13-1078517053.jpg

Hi Rimmer thats approximatly seven Rabbits a day for 10 years??

It must of been some dog as it has taken other things too to add to its tally?

Just wondering did you ever see this dog work??

Or was the tale told by the owner of the old dog??

I used to see Rusty out on hunt days. There was allways a terrier in tow.

Now I remember, the terrier was called Rusty, the lurcher was called Ginger!!

I was still at school then, with Bill Read's son. Not active at the times they were out, and anyway, the rabbits had all gone by then(Myxy)

From what I remember, it was a heavier dog than you would normally think of as a lurcher.

My uncle used to do a lot or rabbitting with them and, being keen on keeping records(he was a pigeon racing man), I suspect that's where the figures came from.

He told me that 70 odd rabbits a night was quite common. They had thousands or acres to go on. Shooting policemen seem to find plenty of land to operate on, don't they?

That was before the plague of course! If they only went out 100 nights a year and averaged only 40, then think about it.

There was a dog catching 40 odd a night on Portland in the 80s. Her name was Suzy and belonged to Frank(Boxer) Hill. I went out with him the first night he had her. She caught 3 hares that night. There were more hares than rabbits about at the time.

I thought I posted this just now, but can't find it. Perhaps it's mixed up with another thread somewhere!

• 2 weeks later...

The amount of game a good dog (lurcher)can take in its lifetime is quite amazing. I have never kept a record of game taken,but,for years i used too supply a local pub with 20 rabbits a week.Rabbit pie and rabbit in cider being advertised on their menu as "lead free".I used to fulfill this order without fail(it made up part of my income)and still have rabbits left over for other orders.I should think i averaged 40 rabbits a week regularly for about five years,only fog or rock hard ground would deter me from going out .I must admit though its not as enjoyable being forced to hunt as it is doing it for pure pleasure but that particular dog must have taken over 10,000 rabbits in her 6 years of life.I,ve got a friend who did keep records of game taken by a dog which i bred i shall tap him up for some facts and figures out of interest he,s a good lad and his records will be accurate.I know it,s easy too be scornfull of certain things you hear regarding dogs abilities but this is only due to the fact that a lot of lurcherman are notorious ********ers.I don,t like braggers either but don,t disregard all you hear cos some of it might just be true.avvit.