Beating Overtrousers

billytheghillie

hello billy, i always used those wax shorty split stud leggings as easy to take on and off, and to some extent thornproof

the shorty ones as you say are the best.....dont make your legs so tired as they ride up on your knees when you step over stuff and braqmbles

hello billy, i always used those wax shorty split stud leggings as easy to take on and off, and to some extent thornproof

Yep! These are great all rounders! Resistant to rain, mud, brambles etc....the only thing they ain't resistant to is barbed wire!

hello, it also depends on what beating you are doing, a grouse moor or partridge shoot, a large pheasant shoot or just a walked up day , wellingtons or boots, 90% of my beating was in wellies so it was the short stud on leggins, on occasional partridge shoots it was boots where longer leggins are better, the good thing about these you can pop off in between showers and store in a game pocket, looking back most of us had a wax jacket, mine a solway zipper and short stud chaps, they did make you sweat but so often on the berkshire downs it peed down all day, so much better with the modern light weight/ waterproof jackets of today.

• 1 year later...
On 30/07/2017 at 10:13, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, it also depends on what beating you are doing, a grouse moor or partridge shoot, a large pheasant shoot or just a walked up day , wellingtons or boots, 90% of my beating was in wellies so it was the short stud on leggins, on occasional partridge shoots it was boots where longer leggins are better, the good thing about these you can pop off in between showers and store in a game pocket, looking back most of us had a wax jacket, mine a solway zipper and short stud chaps, they did make you sweat but so often on the berkshire downs it peed down all day, so much better with the modern light weight/ waterproof jackets of today.

hello, i have resurrected this post because yesterday i found a shop selling a Solway Zipper in VGC and size 36 , my first Barbout coat, very tempted :rolleyes:  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

On 29/07/2017 at 10:48, Scully said:

Heavyweight waxed cotton. Brushes briers and all manner of cover aside, whereas those expensive gore-tex over trousers will have their membrane punctured in no time; unless you can get hold of ex-MOD gore-tex salopettes.

Yes cheap waxed cotton from eBay, I bought some for £10 and had them years. Bomb proof. Mine are lined so you do get hot in them, I've used them in really snowie conditions while working terriers and they are brilliant