Disgusting way to treat our Veterans

loriusgarrulus

Shaking head here can not take in this poor young lady .fights for Queen and country and can not get the care he needs .yet others can come to this country from abroad. Nevet pay a penny into our system get looked after .given a home and fed. We must be laughed at all over the world . I hope he gets the care he needs .thank you .young man .

Don't jump down my throats guys, but Is not NHS funding for the people of Scotland devolved to the Scottish government? If this is so, should not the Scottish Government reimburse the NHS for the guys treatment? With power comes responsibility!

If I am wrong and funding is not devolved....then I agree it is unacceptable and a national disgrace, and should be corrected immediately!

Then people ask me why we need a Royal British Legion. To fight injustices like this one if for nothing else.

Give him the treatment whenever and wherever he needs it then sort the finances out later.

Absolute disgraceful way to treat a seriously disabled veteran.

America puts us to shame as they look after their veterans - always.

NHS funding is devolved but that is totally irrelevant, a wounded British soldier should be able to receive treatment in any NHS funded hospital. I know a couple of marines who were based in arbroath who had long term care in a Scottish hospital without any problems.

NHS funding is devolved but that is totally irrelevant, a wounded British soldier should be able to receive treatment in any NHS funded hospital. I know a couple of marines who were based in arbroath who had long term care in a Scottish hospital without any problems.

In your (and many others, including mine!) opinion!

But perhaps someone can explain, why did Scotland demand and receive devolved NHS funding from Westminster, for the Scottish people............shouldn't they be required to pay out of that funding, when one of their own residents need care?....

Good scheme if Scotland can get billions from the Westminster government for healthcare then send all their sick people to England for treatment.....talk about having your cake and eating it!

But perhaps someone can explain, why did Scotland demand and receive devolved NHS funding from Westminster, for the Scottish people............shouldn't they be required to pay out of that funding, when one of their own residents need care?....

Good scheme if Scotland can get billions from the Westminster government for healthcare then send all their sick people to England for treatment.....talk about having your cake and eating it!

And with that logic any person visiting Scotland from England, Wales or Ireland would also then need their respective countries NHS to pay?? Don't be daft, we are all British and as a result NHS should pay for our treatment regardless of where we visit a hospital.

I think that you will find many people from all over the UK being treated in Scottish hospitals. The `N` in NHS is National, there should be no break down between the country's. Yes Scotland does receive a devolved funding but that does not exclude others from being treated. If what has been said by a particular hospital in England about to the severely wounded ex service men and woman from Scotland is a disgrace

And with that logic any person visiting Scotland from England, Wales or Ireland would also then need their respective countries NHS to pay?? Don't be daft, we are all British and as a result NHS should pay for our treatment regardless of where we visit a hospital.

The treatment of this soldier is appalling, however we don't know the full story....my posting maybe wide of the mark, but in the absence of an official explanation I, like the rest of us, are left to speculate as to the reason for this apparently disgraceful decision.

In response to your posting, the UK NHS does "pay for our treatment regardless of where we visit a hospital" for the whole of the UK, "including their respective countries"

The UK NHS does this in Scotland by giving a devolved Scotland money to fund a Scottish health service...........If Scotland have already received the money to fund the running of a Scottish health service, then Scotland should do so, if they don't.....and a Scottish patient seeks an receives treatment in an English hospital, it means the UK NHS is effectively paying twice......at the expense of patient treatment in England!

I note you are from Scotland!........This is possibly an early insight into what devolution actually means to the people of Scotland?..........which amongst other things will include Fiscal responsibility! And It'll likely get a whole lot worse for the people of Scotland if the SNP persuade the Scottish people to vote for an independent Scotland!.....

I personally would be most interested to discover what exactly the Scottish administration choose to spend the UK NHS money on?....here's a clue........what do the people of Scotland get for free that the people of England don't?

Edited by panoma1

Don't jump down my throats guys, but Is not NHS funding for the people of Scotland devolved to the Scottish government? If this is so, should not the Scottish Government reimburse the NHS for the guys treatment? With power comes responsibility!

Bang on the money.

I'm sure the Scottish NHS will agree to funding any future treatment however.

Cross border entitlement to free care is established by place of ordinary residence, so I'm guessing this young lad is living in Scotland? It's a reciprocal agreement agreed when NHS services were devolved in 1999.

Much as I suspected........I read in the local rag that the University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust spokesperson has said that because he lives in Scotland, if this patient "needs further treatment within the trust, we would need to seek pre approved funding from NHS Scotland"

I imagine there is a reciprocal arrangement for patients throughout the UK for accident and emergency treatment.......but financing the ongoing treatment subsequent to this, would be the responsibility of the devolved administrations.

Regrettably, this is exactly what happens when parts of the UK become devolved and wish to self govern, ie have their cake and eat it.

With specialized health treatments which fall outside reciprocal arrangements, NHS, Scotland commission treatment in England and fund it, if they so chose.

Any blame for the shoddy treatment of this chap falls squarely on the shoulders of those who voted for Scotland to have devolved powers.

I couldn't give a stuff what politics are involved, that solider put his neck on the line after swearing loyalty to queen and country, I.e the United kingdom, he should get treatment anywhere in the UK he dam well feels like, he should not be used as a political pawn and that includes PW members imho

Edited by 12gauge82

I couldn't give a stuff what politics are involved, that solider put his neck on the line after swearing loyalty to queen and country, I.e the United kingdom, he should get treatment anywhere in the UK he dam well feels like, he should not be used as a political pawn and that includes PW members imho

But an emotional arguement will never trump political expedience or a financial arguement.......welcome to the real world!

But an emotional arguement will never trump political expedience or a financial arguement.......welcome to the real world!

I guess there will always be those in life who selflessly give in life and those who selfishly take all they can giving as little back as possible, it's just as well everyone is not like that or we'd never have won a war. I live well and truly in the 'real' world.

Ex servicemen have been treat by and large with indifference by politicians over the decades. Nothing will change.

The politics of this case would still apply, it would seem, even if the patient was a civilian, simply because of politics.

The media have got hold of the story and lashed it with a liberal helping of 'emotion' because the patient in this instance happens to be a former soldier.

I agree entirely; it's outrageous, but politics is an unemotional entity.