Dubbin for wood stocks

cheggs1978

Will dubbin sink into the wood?..........Or lie on the surface and when the gun is used clag up your hands, face and clothing?

Just use a spot or two of walnut oil rubbed in with your hands using the heat generated by the rubbing action, on an oil finish that is!

Will dubbin sink into the wood?..........Or lie on the surface and when the gun is used clag up your hands, face and clothing?

Just use a spot or two of walnut oil rubbed in with your hands using the heat generated by the rubbing action, on an oil finish that is!

I keep a walnut oiled chamois kept in an old sweet tin.

Will dubbin sink into the wood?..........Or lie on the surface and when the gun is used clag up your hands, face and clothing? !

A lot of guns have a sort of factory (truecoat) applied polyurethane varnish finnish and nothing soaks into the wood. I have seen many guns where the owner has vigerously applied various products and ended up with a sticky claggy stock.

Not highjacking the thread but going with fortunes post.I have a Baikal s x s which came from a valued friend so it's somewhat sentimental.

It had never been touched stockwise and the gun is as new.However at some point in it's life it had a boot on the stock and that left it with a 4 inch black stain on the stock.

So I decided to strip it back using a scarscen scraper.There was no penetration whatsoever of the factory finish into the wood.So walnut wood stain was applied until a nice depth of colour was reached.i followed this up with 4 coates minimum of Danish oil.It now looks superb and it's brought some lovely figuring out.

Mods feel free to relocate this post if not appropriate.

Edited by wisdom

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of guns have a sort of factory (truecoat) applied polyurethane varnish finnish and nothing soaks into the wood. I have seen many guns where the owner has vigerously applied various products and ended up with a sticky claggy stock.

hello, i am with fortune, right or wrong and not being sure if my 525 stock has a poly finish but i just wipe over with an oily rag i use on the action and barrels