Linseed

getthegat

Hi, anyone ever shot birds on linsead? I've got a couple fields near me and wondered if it ever create an interest. Perhaps when the crop blackens off or after its been cut? It's s great location and seems to have e good flight line over one end of one field. Cheers

Linseed can be good but its hit and miss pending weather conditions

If we had a drought it can be good I shot over a field one year and it regularly attracted a lot of birds but the next year the crop was useless

Can be good over stubble though and if they don't shred it makes good hides ....

My garage workshop back's onto a field of linsead, so I'll let you know if it is good or bad. At the moment it is s great flight line for birds making their way to other feeding grounds. Still working on the farmer for permission

Edited by getthegat

• 1 month later...

So a little update on pigeon activity on linseed; this morning the field beside my workshop had birds feeding on it, admitidly only a dozen or so and I can't see anything else growing in with it so presumably it is the seeds they are after. It's been sprayed off and is very brown and hard. I guess the only true test is to open the crop of a bird to see if it contains said seeds. I wonder how that might be achieved 😁 Hope this adds a small amount of intel for others that may be scratching around for a crop to shoot over. Oh and have you noticed the swallows starting to group together? Autumnal signs for sure.

Linseed is a crop I have had very little success with, regardless of its stage of growth.

The birds could be after the weeds, I have shot some this week on direct drilled stubbles, where the rape is showing and their crops have been full ,of clover and what appears to be chickweed and groundsel.

The swallows are definitely grouping up around here, they will be off soon.

Pretty much all stubble has gone near me and nothing else planted yet. Still a couple of uncut wheat fields which are spoilt now and will be ploughed in once the ground is dry enough, but mid afternoon these fields are still drawing birds in. Hoping for a day at them on Monday. Not wanting to shoot over linseed anyway really, as it looks as though once stood on, it won't spring back up, so I'd do more damage than the birds. May get the clover and pigeon tasty weeds after its cut though.

So I can confirm linseed itself has no draw for pigeons, but it seems that other weeds and old crops can and do grow in amongst it, so that when cut, the pigeons are able to access this previously shielded food. Had a pants day over a cut field, birds would not decoy to my position, instead going to another field that is frequented by dog walker's. They came over my position, a good flight line, but nearly all were high and fast. Had 3 blinding kills but far too many misses. Ended on 6 corvids and 7 or 8 woodies, the breast meat of some made a good stir-fry and the rest a stroganoff tomorrow. One birds crop had beans inside, not sure where he was from. Wondering what crops will be sewn next that may bring better decoy action.