Bergara seats.

JDog

There must be a secret to assembling and disassembling these seats without the discomfort of painful finger ends surely.

My seat, which I have had for four months or so, is fine when it is erected and is stable on the ground and gives good back support. However I do find it very difficult to press in the little tits to extend the legs before they are inserted into the seat. The same goes for packing them away. On cold mornings I have found the task impossible and have resorted to using my three legged seat.

Has someone out there invented a tool that could save my finger ends?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had one........(for one session).....and im sorry to say ....for me anyhow, it was the biggest waste of money ...they are supremely uncomfortable...heavy to cart around....and virtually impossible to assemble and take down at the end of the day..............i used it for one session....tried to push the "tits" in and stuff when my fingers were cold....and in a total fit of peek threw the crapstruck thing in the hedge............it stayed there for 2 months and sold it to my mate....who used it once and binned it.............

apologies to those of you who paid £80 odd quid for one and think its wonderful...............all i can say is , you must have a cast iron rear end....and back vertabrae made of titanium plates........

Edited by ditchman

What are the other options available out there?

i have a very lightweight aluminuin directors chair.....it has a flip up table and a big pocket on the left hand side for rubbish....i got it from QD's 8 years ago paid £9.00 quid for it....trouble is it is so easy to go to sleep in it....the model is "The Henley"

gooble it.....might still be available

i have a very lightweight aluminuin directors chair.....it has a flip up table and a big pocket on the left hand side for rubbish....i got it from QD's 8 years ago paid £9.00 quid for it....trouble is it is so easy to go to sleep in it....the model is "The Henley"

gooble it.....might still be available

The only one i can find is £28 and is made of steel tube?

I leave mine set up it fits in a large Jack Pyke decoy bag upside down perfectly and forms a frame to pack your other gear inside. I bought an extra cushion for mine a few quid of the Bay, I agree the buttons are a royal PITA for cold hands which is why mine stays set up.

i had one........(for one session).....and im sorry to say ....for me anyhow, it was the biggest waste of money ...they are supremely uncomfortable...heavy to cart around....and virtually impossible to assemble and take down at the end of the day..............i used it for one session....tried to push the "tits" in and stuff when my fingers were cold....and in a total fit of peek threw the crapstruck thing in the hedge............it stayed there for 2 months and sold it to my mate....who used it once and binned it.............

apologies to those of you who paid £80 odd quid for one and think its wonderful...............all i can say is , you must have a cast iron rear end....and back vertabrae made of titanium plates........

Pity you didn't ding it in a hedge near mine , I doubt it would have been there for two months as we like to recycle peoples rubbish :lol:

Pity you didn't ding it in a hedge near mine , I doubt it would have been there for two months as we like to recycle peoples rubbish :lol:

quite honestly......a car tyre with 3 wooden legs on it would have been more comfortable...................

I leave mine set up it fits in a large Jack Pyke decoy bag upside down perfectly and forms a frame to pack your other gear inside. I bought an extra cushion for mine a few quid of the Bay, I agree the buttons are a royal PITA for cold hands which is why mine stays set up.

I also leave mine set up and have a cushion tied to the seat

I find that if you push both buttons in with one hand and gently turn the leg with the other, it moves quite easily.

Its the most comfortable shooting seat I have used and is great for back support.

The biggest drawback is on seriously steep banking, I use a standard shooting stick then, but I have to get up and walk around every now and then, or my back and knees lock up.

I rarely take mine down, I carry it by a sling. I must say I have not found it uncomfortable and the fact that it swivels freely I often don't bother to stand up when on a peg and shoot from sitting. I have set it in some difficult locations, like in a ditch where the front legs are fully extended and the back legs as short as they would go.. worked fine. The extra large feet I made also stop it sinking into soft plough or recently sown ground. The 'pliers' I made solve the problem for some of us, who's old sausage shaped arthritic fingers cannot depress those buttons sufficiently to release the legs. Pretty easy to make and if anyone wants details simply pm me an e mail.

I sat in a hide with Harnser the other week and we wanted to drop the legs. Bloody impossible thing to adjust. Between us we gave it up as a bad job. I normally adjust the height / levels with a spade that is normally left permanently in the truck. Had the Bergera for three years now and find it comfy to sit on.

I couldn't agree more.

This is one of those items of kit that looks absolutely great in the shop, a novelty on the patio or in the garden but in the field I don't know? for it takes a lot of room up in the motor and is cumbersome to take more than 25yds into the field.

There are many and much better alternatives, something which will fold flat, is lightweight with a back rest is surely preferable but if you are fortunate to shoot the same large farm or arable acreage then just strategically leave out a few milk crates (you'll know the best places) and its one item less to cart about.

I couldn't agree more.

This is one of those items of kit that looks absolutely great in the shop, a novelty on the patio or in the garden but in the field I don't know? for it takes a lot of room up in the motor and is cumbersome to take more than 25yds into the field.

There are many and much better alternatives, something which will fold flat, is lightweight with a back rest is surely preferable but if you are fortunate to shoot the same large farm or arable acreage then just strategically leave out a few milk crates (you'll know the best places) and its one item less to cart about.

There is a well known pigeon shooter....think its will garfit................he went down to the dump and bought 3 secertary swivel chairs...the ones made in the 60's/70's....with 3 steel legs plastic seat and arms and back rest.....he puts them out and leaves them in his postitions.....he rekons they are the best shooting seat known to man/woman

Good Lord! what's all the fuss about? Mine just arrived and it took just a few minutes to adjust it my needs. OK, we riggers are known to have steel fingers, but it's over 30 years since I retired and I had no trouble with the buttons. Yep, the seat does seem small but I think that is because the back rest is too close to the seat bit - I took the cushion off my existing seat which sizewise is fine and it fitted perfectly. However, the material is somewhat shiney and I tended to slip forward. Extending the front legs one notch sorted that and also it appeared to make the seat seem bigger as you are leaning back a bit. I think there's more chance of me nodding off as opposed to falling off.

The important bit (as per the other thread on these) is that now with the extra height I can stand up with little or no load on my knees. In short, well pleased.

Edit: PS Walker 570's answer to the buttons looks just like a set of external calipers which can probably be picked up for pennies at a car booty, or whatever. Just tried an old pair that I don't use and they worked.

Edited by wymberley

Keep buttons and holes clean and they work very well.

problem is they get clogged with dirt, mud grit etc, then the buttons start to stick.

Time to time I jet wash mine, little squirt of WD40 and buttons are super smooth.

Excellent seats in my opinion.