Bergara seats.

JDog

A chap I know engineer with a knack for problem solving had this problem.

Removed the legs and got a large drill bit & slightly counter sunk the holes so that your finger performed a better push, your only talking a fraction to get it working.

Ditchman will understand and could possibly explain better.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A chap I know engineer with a knack for problem solving had this problem.

Removed the legs and got a large drill bit & slightly counter sunk the holes so that your finger performed a better push, your only talking a fraction to get it working.

Ditchman will understand and could possibly explain better.

Im not even going to try :lol:

I received my PW seat from Teal today, unpacked it and gave the legs and buttons a spray with silicon as it works well on plastic plus its cleaner than WD40, assembled it with no problems, I then tried to dissemble the legs, I found that if you squeezed the buttons and then lever the leg towards the centre of the seat they came out easy, pulling was more difficult, adjusting the height was also easy, just squeezed the buttons and twisted the leg, again pulling was more difficult.

Just a couple of niggles, the seat padding is thin, I would imagine it would give you bum ache in a very short time, the back of the seat is to upright but I can see a way to adjust this, and finally the weight, its quite heavy, just under 3 kilo which is about the same as 3 boxes of 12 gauge cartridges so unless its a short walk on the winter rape I will keep it for the stubbles.

Overall the seat is well made if a little expensive, time will tell how it performs in the field.

I found that, as has previously been mentioned, to countersink the holes makes it easier to adjust. Then a squirt of lubricant.

Also I use the top off a bucket seat (the revolving type) which fits perfectly and is far more comfortable.

Keeping it assembled when able to drive to the hide position safes time setting up.

I have found it good for the back when out for long periods.

OB

I found that, as has previously been mentioned, to countersink the holes makes it easier to adjust. Then a squirt of lubricant.

Also I use the top off a bucket seat (the revolving type) which fits perfectly and is far more comfortable.

Keeping it assembled when able to drive to the hide position safes time setting up.

I have found it good for the back when out for long periods.

OB

if you rekon that is good for the back....all i can say is "you must be on strong prescription drugs".....MMmmm yummy... :lol:

You`re probably right Ditchy, `Good for the back` is not the right terminology. Perhaps `a little better than backless seats` would be more appropriate.

However, my ageing bones cannot take to sitting for long periods so maybe some strong prescription drugs are the answer.

Any suggestions Ditchy ?

OB

well i would not waist my money on them.they have not had a good report.

Nothing like making your own mind up :)

Don't listen to the softies with fake manicured finger nails, the seats are excellent.

Yes a fishing chair would be more comfortable, but have you tried standing up from one with an 8lb sotgun and in a hurry?

I do remember Denny Essex shooting from a "comfy" type chair without standing, went over backwards into the ditch, it was rather funny :)

You`re probably right Ditchy, `Good for the back` is not the right terminology. Perhaps `a little better than backless seats` would be more appropriate.

However, my ageing bones cannot take to sitting for long periods so maybe some strong prescription drugs are the answer.

Any suggestions Ditchy ?

OB

when i was young i used to stand all the time.....as i matured i used a shooting stick...then i got older and sat on a nice chair............nowww im on a bloody sun lounger.... :lol:

• 1 year later...

No need to countersink the holes, change the pins or anything else that drastic.... A simple squirt of WD40 up the inside of the legs every once in a while and the legs pins glide in and out like silk.  Just repeat after a few trips when they start to stiffen up again. 

And Google 'bistro stool cushions' for a neat round little pad to make them more comfortable over long periods.. Two cushions in one outer cover is perfect.... And I'm 18 stone. 

Nearly 18 months since this thread got going and still moaning about adjusting the legs. I made these 'pliers' when I first got mine. I even e mailed the Bergara Company about them and never got a reply ... very rude.  Solves the problem.  The 'noses' are slightly indented to engage the studs.  I made a leather pouch which hangs on the chair ready for use.

001.JPG

Edited by Walker570

On 02/11/2018 at 21:07, Walker570 said:

Nearly 18 months since this thread got going and still moaning about adjusting the legs. I made these 'pliers' when I first got mine. I even e mailed the Bergara Company about them and never got a reply ... very rude.  Solves the problem.  The 'noses' are slightly indented to engage the studs.  I made a leather pouch which hangs on the chair ready for use.

001.JPG

Very neat tool! If you wanted someone to see it you could email to Ruag who have always been very good and they are the UK importer, and might be able to show it to Bergara? Appreciate you may not wish to having been blanked by Bergara previously. 

23 hours ago, Teal said:

Very neat tool! If you wanted someone to see it you could email to Ruag who have always been very good and they are the UK importer, and might be able to show it to Bergara? Appreciate you may not wish to having been blanked by Bergara previously. 

I have been insulted by pros Teal.  AA ignored my approach re a loader for their TX200 for arthritic old codgers like me but I still think their rifles are the bees Knees.  I still think the Bergara Stag seat is very useful and a good bit of kit..... just thought they could have developed a few useful add ons ...like the enlarge feet I made for mine for soft ground and the rifle rest I made for it to slide into the holes which normally store the legs....excellent out of a pop up blind or simply zeroing.  Their loss not mine.

I quite like mine but do agree with the problem with the leg adjustment problem. I have however now overcome that by using a tapered countersink tool and opening the hole slightly with the countersink. I can now get my podgy fingers to push it in far enough to allow adjustment. Be careful though don’t be too heavy handed with the countersink tool as you could knacker the leg. I know a few people that have now done this and are much happier with their seats.

I have one and used to hate stripping it at the end on the day especially with cold hands.  Now I just leave it assembled and it fits perfectly in my large Jack Pyke rucksack seat to the bottom and it makes a useful frame for it.  Bought an additional cushion for it that makes it a lot comfier.

This must be the most overpriced and uncomfortable shooting seat ever produced ,,unless you are a hobbit or smaller this will remove the most sensitive part of your tail, ,,seat very rickety no mater what setting interconnections between legs and seat base very suspect ,lean to the left it creaks and grunts lean to the to the right the same thing happens,  if you have the courage to place your posterior on  the said seat , comfort nil, stability nil , spent most of my time worrying about the security of the seat rather than concentrating on the job in hand IE shooting some pigeon.  Have tried it for nighttime duck flighting impossible to reset in the dark, all day pigeon flighting whoever designed this piece of kit it was not for shooters..