Dsc1

I'm doing my dsc1 in September, does any one have anything I should keep in mind? I'm only doing the assessment due to time and money. Thanks

be interesting to see how you get on mate tempted to do the same as you are. not that i really need it but i think people will insist on it more frequent

be interesting to see how you get on mate tempted to do the same as you are. not that i really need it but i think people will insist on it more frequent

It's only a matter of time before you need it to have a c.f. rifle I reckon. Im doing it to learn some more through the books and I've also got something to make plod happy. Then the majority of syndicates will only accept atleast dsc1. Il let you know how I get on fella

I've seen some of your handywork on the bucks don't think you need it at all :lol:

Hmmmmm. Yes, education is great no doubt and I am not knocking it BUT I have guided a few DSC2s who I wouldn't let loose on any of my areas on their own but had a bit of paper saying they were experts. Having said all of that, go and enjoy the session, learn what you can that is worth learning.

It's only a matter of time before you need it to have a c.f. rifle I reckon. Im doing it to learn some more through the books and I've also got something to make plod happy. Then the majority of syndicates will only accept atleast dsc1. Il let you know how I get on fella

I've seen some of your handywork on the bucks don't think you need it at all :lol:

i can put them on the ground and have been for years but i doubt i can do multiple choice on them lol. i have a cd somewhere on the dsc with the questions its quite good. i will have a look for it and if i find it you can borrow it

I did the DSC1 earlier this year as I wanted too.

It worries me that people say they need it to get deer on FAC. The guidelines from the Home Office and National Police Chiefs `council state that experience is neither calibre nor species dependant.

Therefore if you have experience of shooting bunnies with a 22 then that is relevant for deer!

the law is written to ensure safety not accuracy or ability to identify game. therefore a requirement for DSC is not a legal requirement, only a wish on their part.

its like the 'requirement ' for mentors.... only needed if 'the only alternative is a refusal due to no experience ' from guidlines.

I did the DSC1 earlier this year as I wanted too.

It worries me that people say they need it to get deer on FAC. The guidelines from the Home Office and National Police Chiefs `council state that experience is neither calibre nor species dependant.

Therefore if you have experience of shooting bunnies with a 22 then that is relevant for deer!

the law is written to ensure safety not accuracy or ability to identify game. therefore a requirement for DSC is not a legal requirement, only a wish on their part.

its like the 'requirement ' for mentors.... only needed if 'the only alternative is a refusal due to no experience ' from guidlines.

I'm doing it for both, to ease the process and to learn something. Once all is said and done if they refuse they can go court and see if they can get themselves out of it. Jumped the necessary hoops for an fac in the first place, had ALL checks and blahdy blah yet they still don't trust people to only shoot said species with said rifle? Doesn't quite add up. I can only shoot fox with a 223 so if a bunny pops up and I shoot it then it's breaking my conditions. Spoke to basc and there happy to argue this one stating i, as you said, have the experience with rimfire and centre fire rifles. We will see eh 😉

Recognition, Seasons and shoot straight, you'll be fine.

Don't be like the plonker that sat next to me when I did mine, done everything shot every thing been in the army and been everywhere. Oh and he was a refrigeration expert too, and done his food hygiene level 3 ???

He failed on every section, I passed comment with regards to his superior knowledge.

Didn't go down too well lol

I was a novice to stalking, I'd been out a few times and was constantly learning as I went but the DSC 1 made me sit up and realise I had far more to learn. Recognition, deer diseases and parasites were the harder areas for me, particularly recognising deer from different angles.

The manual was very comprehensive but I also read articles in other publication and on the web. There are some good images there. I enjoyed using the old grey matter after many years too.

I treat passing the DSC1 like passing the driving test; the real learning is just beginning. I don't think I've been out and not learned something new.

I just did the assessment, though a few years back now, all the answers to the questions are in the book that goes with the course, BDS training manual I think. Hardest of the idents was sika and red females but just look for the white scent glands on the hocks of the sika, a dead give away. Safety course straight forward, look out for a shot with a wire fence in front of it, if your unsure just say you wouldn't take the shot, you can't fail for being over cautious. As said before, England and Scottish deer seasons if you don't know them. Some shake a bit on the shooting but failure is usually nerves rather than capability as its not hard. Good luck with it, its worth it, after I did mine I continued to DSC2 which opened up many stalking opportunities, I'm now an accredited witness for the DSC2.

• 1 month later...

Cheers for the support and advice all. Did it today and an 'unofficial' congrats for passing :D :D

Recognition, Seasons and shoot straight, you'll be fine.

Don't be like the plonker that sat next to me when I did mine, done everything shot every thing been in the army and been everywhere. Oh and he was a refrigeration expert too, and done his food hygiene level 3 ???

He failed on every section, I passed comment with regards to his superior knowledge.

Didn't go down too well lol

We had one of them aswell today... failed his shooting test...? :lol:

The hardest bit for me was seasons. Recognition was easy enough and got 1 wrong due too my cock up. If it's Scottish it's a funny start and end date was all it took for me to remember. Now for a new toy :D

Edited by Hendrix's rifle

Cheers for the support and advice all. Did it today and an 'unofficial' congrats for passing :D :D

We had one of them aswell today... failed his shooting test...? :lol:

The hardest bit for me was seasons. Recognition was easy enough and got 1 wrong due too my cock up. If it's Scottish it's a funny start and end date was all it took for me to remember. Now for a new toy :D

well done mate.

• 2 months later...

I have just completed my DSC1 yesterday, and passed.  I would say do your homework first or you will fail.

a couple of people on my course failed. Join the British Deer Society. pay £20 and you can try the various assesments

I did around 20 hrs of study before going on the course, and i only just passed the written assessment. Really enjoyed the course.

My boss is pleased as he payed for it!

10 hours ago, wacker said:

I have just completed my DSC1 yesterday, and passed.  I would say do your homework first or you will fail.

a couple of people on my course failed. Join the British Deer Society. pay £20 and you can try the various assesments

I did around 20 hrs of study before going on the course, and i only just passed the written assessment. Really enjoyed the course.

Good on you fella 

15 hours ago, wacker said:

How do you know you've passed if you don't mind me asking? I thought all results had to be verified? Where did you do it?