land rover defender prices

viking

what are peoples opinions on the price of used defenders over the next few years,

i know there very expensive at the moment and people just seem to be making up what ever price they want, even a lot of private sales are pricing theres from trader prices.

im thinking of getting another on around the 2007 -2010 but prices are looking to be anywhere from £17,000-£22,000, i want a nice clean one thats been used as a run around not a working landy, not bothered if it be a hard top od csw or XS as they call them now, in the past iv always done well with the green oval and never really lost any money on the defenders, discos and freelanders iv had, even made money once on a 300tdi csw, so im just wondering what people think to them still holding decent value in 2-4 years time given there is a new one coming out, but saying that i think there 2 different beasts.

thanks.

lee

The first two are just basic commercials with added tat but that £70k one is just plain stupid but in ten years time you will wish you had bought them all.

My 45,000 miler might now be worth what i paid for it in October 2007.

Edited by Red-dot

After 54 yrs of marriage, I am more likely to go for a divorce than sell my 1989 Landy. Yes, the prices have gone a bit silly and I really do not believe they will come down much as the original Landy concept will still be attractive in many years to come. They are like a big Meccano set which can be taken apart and pieces replaced as required. The new proposed version is just another crushable box on wheels.

The same happened to the Landy that happened to the original concept for the Range Rover. Women could not or found difficulty in changing gear and a lighter version was introduced which didn't cut the mustard. Spanish company then developed the LT85 box which is much stronger..

All sorts of interiors began to be added so you couldn't hose them out like the original. My view is that there is still a place/market for a simple standard 4x4 with no frills and the Landy version pre 1990 fits that bill.

what are peoples opinions on the price of used defenders over the next few years,

i know there very expensive at the moment and people just seem to be making up what ever price they want, even a lot of private sales are pricing theres from trader prices.

im thinking of getting another on around the 2007 -2010 but prices are looking to be anywhere from £17,000-£22,000, i want a nice clean one thats been used as a run around not a working landy, not bothered if it be a hard top od csw or XS as they call them now, in the past iv always done well with the green oval and never really lost any money on the defenders, discos and freelanders iv had, even made money once on a 300tdi csw, so im just wondering what people think to them still holding decent value in 2-4 years time given there is a new one coming out, but saying that i think there 2 different beasts.

thanks.

lee

So you are selling a mint 1982 land rover that is road tax free and spending most of the money buying a used land rover that could cost you a pile of money when or if it goes wrong am I missing something here. :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I'd love a nice 90, but looking over the last 18 months the prices have gone crazy! Spotted a lovely 90 in metallic green with 30k on (2010) around 6 months ago for 18k no vat.....if you can find one the same they're another 4-5k it seems now. So much tat about that's been hammered and they're asking 10-15k, makes me wonder who buys them.

So you are selling a mint 1982 land rover that is road tax free and spending most of the money buying a used land rover that could cost you a pile of money when or if it goes wrong am I missing something here. :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

its not road tax free mate, and i couldnt do with having that as my daily drive, now and again i do like to go over 40mph, and knowing the work thats gone into it i could bring myself to be filling it with my shooting gear and dragging it around farms, it needs to be someones summer toy really, but saying that, once its sold i dont really care what happens to it,

Edited by viking

I just bought myself a TD5 Defender, a very nice example 70k miles FLRSH, 2 owners and chassis protected every year from new, not used for off roading / agriculture etc.

I paid a premium for it £12.5k however it was up for £13k, other TD5's for similar money were very often not as described and had rotten chassis, x - members etc.

I always wanted one so bit the bullet incase the prices became even more obscene, whilst I can't be certain of the way the value is heading I'm certain the new model will have zero character and therefore the purists/ enthusiasts will opt for the original defender models.

I think the styling of the new one will be like the new discovery styling and it will struggle to have a gap in the market, and fill the shoes of the current defenders. Especially with so many parts available making them cheap to fix and maintain.

I think depreciation won't be too much of an issue, but at the same time they surely can't appreciate a deal more anytime soon with the the current diesel targets etc.

Personally i'd just find a minter, bite the bullet and hold on tight. Don't think I ever want to sell mine to be honest!

Fits my lifestyle perfectly, even though I seem to be a bit too sensitive with how i treat it compared to other owners.

"wot no carpets"?

Wolf XD. Army don't go in for carpets. I put some rubber mats in that get hosed as well. Park it on the end of the drive where it slopes. Run the shampoo hose diluter over it inside and out. Rinse it off inside and out. Mop any excess water out.

Only once a year mind before it goes for MOT.

Wolf XD. Army don't go in for carpets. I put some rubber mats in that get hosed as well. Park it on the end of the drive where it slopes. Run the shampoo hose diluter over it inside and out. Rinse it off inside and out. Mop any excess water out.

Only once a year mind before it goes for MOT.

Love it, brilliant.

Way way over priced IMHO plus the chance of theft is very high both on the vehicle and for parts to be taken taken off the vehicle in situ, they get nicked every week round here and presumably everywhere else. Not sure what that does to Insurance premiums for them. Guy in our shoot sold his because he was fed up with sleeping with one eye open, having had the head lamps stolen from my Disco 2 facelift I know how he felt .

I have a 13 plate commercial 90, it is quite blinged up. It still has only 14k on the clock and cost me 30K when I brought it all most new. Before you splash out have a look at the seeker Ford pick ups on EBay. I have seen them and they are well put together, real king of the road stuff.

Chris

We are lucky round here. Low crime area. Not had a problem and the Landy is not visible from the street at night. Other Landy owners in the area all been fine as well, even when parked on front drive. Fully comp' insurance £250 with all the trimmings. Only limitation at home it can't be parked on the road overnight which it isn't anyway.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

I bought 3 brand new TR6's in the mid 1970's and the last one a Mimosa hardtop i sold for £1,500 is now valued at £20,000 with virtually no miles added since i sold it in 1990 with 25,000 miles on it. Defenders will follow this trend.

How many TR6 are they still in exsistence? Most landrovers ever made are still around and they're not exactly rare. Eventually all old cars become worth a tidy sum. More so with modern cars as they get recycled so less of them around. Early landrovers are worth a pretty penny. Still thousands of ex army defenders around, will be many years if they ever become rare for value to rocket.

I think early range rovers will become more valued in coming years. They rotted and were not as loved and landys so lot less of them.

Edited by figgy

How many TR6 are they still in exsistence? Most landrovers ever made are still around and they're not exactly rare. Eventually all old cars become worth a tidy sum. More so with modern cars as they get recycled so less of them around. Early landrovers are worth a pretty penny. Still thousands of ex army defenders around, will be many years if they ever become rare for value to rocket.

I think early range rovers will become more valued in coming years. They rotted and were not as loved and landys so lot less of them.

There is only one reason why there are so many old land rovers still on the road and that is parts name me another car/truck that you can buy everything to make a new one if you like the only one that I now of the the good old WW2 Jeep what other car can you buy a new chassis for. :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: