Do any gun sales shops have somewhere where you can try guns

Weavers

I have just got my SGC and am totally confused as what gun to buy. I've been advised by some people to spend about £1000 and get a Browning or Beretta and by others to start with a gun for about £500 and try out the sport first.

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

I have noticed that there are a few Webley and Scott, Lanber and Franchi guns out there for around about £500 so not sure what to do or if any of these guns are any good or not.

dependent on location

there is west london gun room which is attached to west london shooting school

Atkins grant and Laing have a shop on site

Another will drive to a range and let you try them ( will ask for a deposit for doing so )

is this what you were thinking of ?

Firstly I would suggest a BIG cabinet rather than a small one, something that holds about 6 would be good.

That way you can buy a few cheaper variations and see what you get on with best.

Location would (as already said) be a good start.

The Fennes shooting school has a shop on site, they'll let you try out anything on the clays, but that's in Braintree Essex.

Also what are you going to be shooting?

I have just got my SGC and am totally confused as what gun to buy. I've been advised by some people to spend about £1000 and get a Browning or Beretta and by others to start with a gun for about £500 and try out the sport first.

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

I have noticed that there are a few Webley and Scott, Lanber and Franchi guns out there for around about £500 so not sure what to do or if any of these guns are any good or not.

hello weavers, it is no good asking for details unless you put more info, like location/use of/12/20guage, and you do not need to spend £1000 in fact some good ones can be bought for 100s, the main think is a proper fit so you need go to a FRD where you can be measured for stock size/ maybe a few clays/ or find out what stock size a buy off here.

If you are in the North of England - Malmo Guns, near Lancaster - you can try before you buy. You won't find a better gun shop either.

Straight people to deal with - loads of stock, great prices to suit any budget.

PS - Webber - on here - has a gun shop at St Helens - would be worth a call, as he runs his own shooting club, at Rixton.

Edited by Gordon R

Firstly I would suggest a BIG cabinet rather than a small one, something that holds about 6 would be good.

this - think about how many you need and multiply by 2

similarly take the numbers of guns a cabinet claims to support and divide by 2 - a 6 gun cabinet will take 6 guns but will comfortably take 3-4

Saddlery and gunroom in Westerham have a shoot out the back but you are better to pre arrange. You could just chance it, my mate bought a Lanber from them without pre arranging and tested it out back but he was lucky, they had enough staff on and the shop was quite empty.

forgot about them ! yes they allowed me to test my hushpower at the back

Sorry for lack of info.

I am located in South Wales. I want a 12g gun and would like to shoot sporting clays with occasionally rough shooting.

Used to be well served but not so much, Phil ash shop has a tie in to a club in ewenny and will take guns there to try, you have a few others in Somerset and I think there is a similar deal with a clay ground and a shop in Cwmbran

Where are you going to be shooting?

Edited by HDAV

Used to be well served but not so much, Phil ash shop has a tie in to a club in ewenny and will take guns there to try, you have a few others in Somerset and I think there is a similar deal with a clay ground and a shop in Cwmbran

Where are you going to be shooting?

Phil Ash in kenfig hill?

I've never been to a shop with such bad customer service skills, and I know others have had bad experiences too.

Several told they absolutely have items in stock etc only to turn up and they don't.

Taking money for items they don't have and then continually promising "they'll definitely be here next week".

I won't go again.

Phil Ash in kenfig hill?

I've never been to a shop with such bad customer service skills, and I know others have had bad experiences too.

Several told they absolutely have items in stock etc only to turn up and they don't.

Taking money for items they don't have and then continually promising "they'll definitely be here next week".

I won't go again.

Sounds like when I go there. Ordered 100 primers, told 'got them here ready for you, by Tina, who hasn't got a clue on anything firearm wise, and went I arrived there, she only 'found' 200 for me. 40 mile round trip for 200 primers!

My advice would be to go and get yourself a lesson from a decent coach. He/she will have several guns available for you to find one that fits you well. If you like the balance and the way it swings then ask their advice on which makes/models to go for. The big advantage of advice from a coach is that they will not have a vested interest in selling you something - unlike a gun shop. Most gun shops are reliable and honest but not all!

Closest ground is South Wales 2000

Gun shop in Cwmbran will let you try a gun sw2000

I haven't had any issues with Phil ash, seems its others that let people down? He has a tie in with dragon clay sports at ewenny go and see bob very helpful chap not open Sunday though.

Over the bridge in Somerset ivythorn have range and clays braces now has there own ground. Avalon used to but not sure if they still do

Mendip as well has a tie in to a shop and run open days from time to time as does ivythron, brookbank has a shop too (nice ground)

The time honoured way is to buy a Biakal and do a bit of shooting with it at a club. You can't go far wrong with a Biakal and as you start using it you will begin to get the feel of what you like and what you think could be better.

There is little point in try before you buy until you know in your own mind what feels right for you.

If the club is half decent other members will be encouraging you to try their guns. That's a much better way to form opinions than a few shots at a shop.

Edited by Vince Green