2.5 [65/67.5] 20bore bismuth home loads

Hi all, does any one have a load for 20 bore bismuth in 2 1/2 in cases. I've been doing a search but no luck, i've nobel 82 ,csbo and pbs2 powder,cx50 primers and plastic wads.I normaly load 28 bore but have acquireda very nice english 20 that i would like to use on an ainland duck pond.Many thanks Dave

Guest cookoff013

dave, nice to meet you. welcome to the pigeonwatch....

i`ve been playing with some 12bore homeloads and i completed an experiment. it was to get a load running and switch it out to many nontoxics. i switched out the volume, so i tecnically can use the MEC LEAD bar to meanure the right amount of shot.

i tried alot of nontoxics, steel,copper,itx,bismuth,niceshot and lead. the lead came out at the highest pressure... all other nontoxics the pressure was lower.

i`m not saying you can do this without consequence....

but it gives you a start on what to achieve, and what loads can be made

what shotweight of lead do you use? / reload already?

Thanks for the reply cookoff013 loaded 12 bore in the past but not worth it now. Loading 28 bore at the moment lead 24grams on a mec 600, but want to load 20b bismuth ready for the season,can I duplicate the lead load for bismuth as they are similar sg.Dave

Guest cookoff013

Thanks for the reply cookoff013 loaded 12 bore in the past but not worth it now. Loading 28 bore at the moment lead 24grams on a mec 600, but want to load 20b bismuth ready for the season,can I duplicate the lead load for bismuth as they are similar sg.Dave

i personally would have to say no. thats me being safe from litigation, or being careless.

i have done exactly that in a 12gauge, and with relative-fast powder, when i switched out the 36g weight of lead to 32g of bismuth (its the same volume, so crimps as good as lead load,) the bismuth produced lower pressures.

i think your problem might be finding the right recipe to have a go at changing something. i regularly have stuff tested. if you have a 24g lead load, for a volume of bismuth would be 21grams or such,

you`d need to find a recipe for 2.5" hulls, that has mediocre pressures, and about an ounce or 32g loads. i`ll have a look around.

but i`m just re-iterating it to be clear.... get the shells tested. or find dedicated data.

i personally would, because i have a high proofed gun 1370bar or some noncence to shoot MAP 1050 bar ammo. you have way different rules for your gun.