Conveyancing

Muddy Funker

Hi Guys.

I did a search but there's nothing too recent.

Very simple really. I'm selling a house in the West Sussex area (Horsham), have a buyer and they have mortgage in principle so it's on.

Who do I go with to get the job done properly at a fair price? I appreciate most will say go local but I'm now in Scotland so does it really matter where they are based? The solicitor being used for buying can't help as house is obviously over the border.

Seems like a bit of a minefield, I know the dirt cheap online ones are to be avoided but are there any that can be recommended?

As far as I know this will be about as easy as it gets. There were no issues when I bought it and nothing has changed.

Thanks in advance :good:

Edited by Muddy Funker

I used an online one and they were a nightmare... even with a complicated transaction (selling one house, putting another on buy-to-let and buying a third) they ended up cheaper than a local solicitor had charged us for just a straightforward purchase, though. I think it was outside their comfort zone but a straightforward sale like yours should be quite easy. ConveyLaw was who we used

I am trying to do my own but its looking like a bad idea as the System puts up various Roadblocks. The Searches are easy enough and only cost £1 per person.

It also looks like the cheap online guys need avoiding but there's nothing stopping you from distance Conveyancing and using someone around the House area.

My firm can act if you like. www.wards.uk.com and there's an online quote thingy on the website. My colleagues sell properties all over England & Wales.

Conveyancing depends upon regulated professionals giving each other enforceable promises called undertakings. Without those the system does not work, and that is why it is hard to do your own, even more so if there's a mortgage to pay off. Hope this helps.

I would not dream of doing anything other than use a solicitor.It is a big asset and you want to do it right.

I am v near Horsham. I used a big Guildford firm. Rawlison Butler in Horsham have a good nameI I have no connection have not personally used them). Yes it will probably cost a bit but why scimp on such a minefield/large value transaction...especially as you are far away. Personally think trying to save a few hundred quid is a false economy.

I flippin love it when people spend / receive many hundreds of thousands of pounds and want to save a few hundred by doing their own conveyancing or using some on line mob based in a factory in Wales where 1 solicitor is looking after a team of 20 kids (and Joe public gets the kid doing their work).

I could write a book on it.

Anyhoos, the best ones are where people do it themselves / go on line cheap and then proclaim it was hunky dorey, not knowing that the real test of the job done is actually when they come to move next time :lol:

The OP seems to have a sensible head on his shoulders - go for a well reviewed bricks and mortar solicitors practice that's been around for a few years and has been personally recommended to you.

My firm does conveyancing but the staff we employ are expensive (because in all honesty they are probably the best at what they do in our geographical location) and as a result we're not the cheapest - saying that there's always someone who'll do it cheaper, right?

Edited by Mungler

100% agree, Mungler.. at least these folks make work for litigation lawyers like me :)

I am always intrigued by how people sometimes seem to want a fiery Rottweiler-type conveyancing lawyer when it is meant to be a non-contentious process involving co-operation throughout the chain.

I would have thought that this attribute is more often sought after in litigation solicitors, but I have been surprised to see how much aggression can be deployed when simply moving house, usually counter-productively. I hope Muddy Funker finds someone suitable.

Cheers guys,

Appreciate the replies.

Went for a local solicitors (local to where house is) defo the right advice just needed to hear it from a few people first.

it's a transaction into the hundreds of thousands, why risk it going wrong and losing the sale for the sake of a few hundred quid.

Thanks again.

You're Quite right Mungler it should be done through qualified professionals. I was thinking it would be straightforward in my case as it was only a name change (inheritance) and I had manage all the other proceedings myself with no problems.

But theres loads of different forms to fill in and then you have prove who you are though a Solicitor, so its easier to use them and get it right first time. :good:

regards Steve.

Edited by bear-uk