Handicap by Distance DTL (Ideal for a newbie)?

evolution380

So I'm relatively new to shooting however i've progressed a lot after having a fair number of lessons under my belt but i've only really done skeet and sporting styles of shooting.

I'm going to try and get a lesson in before the weekend to try out a B525 Sporter with intention to buy so long as it fits.

I've never done any trap shooting so was going to request if i could do some skeet to see how i fair with the gun in a discipline i have some familiarity with then do some trap to try and get a feel for it before i considered putting my name down.

Obviously if I can't hit anything I won't bother but there is a handicap by distance DTL event this weekend at my local clay grounds, seems a perfect opportunity to get to know a few people and start to get some experience. (I went to watch a DTL event last week and there was some very good shots).

I don't want to embarrass myself so am I being naive in having a go so soon? Should I spend a fair few hours practicing the discipline before entering such an event or is this exactly what this sort of opportunity is for?

I'm always up for throwing myself in the deep end but I don't want to make a mockery of myself either.

I'd really like to give it a go as it's a handicapped event so should in theory be surrounded by other relatively new shooters rather than enter an event at the local clay ground where there are mainly seasoned shooters signed up?

Any advice appreciated.

Stick to skeet to appraise the gun, dtl like all trap is marmite and having a trap gun will help but for a first time anything will do, not sure how dtl by distance will work practically mind........ don't worry if you only hit a few at dtl and others are hitting 25/25 you could always try a dtl layout but shoot from peg 3 only and see how you go.

If worries ask the organiser to put someone with you to show you the ropes. PS where will you be shooting?

Stick to skeet to appraise the gun, dtl like all trap is marmite and having a trap gun will help but for a first time anything will do, not sure how dtl by distance will work practically mind........ don't worry if you only hit a few at dtl and others are hitting 25/25 you could always try a dtl layout but shoot from peg 3 only and see how you go.

If worries ask the organiser to put someone with you to show you the ropes. PS where will you be shooting?

Thanks for the reply :)

Yes my priority is definitely to get enough of a feel as to whether or not the gun is for me on a skeet set-up, once I have a feel would like to at least try some DTL with my instructor to pick up some pointers and see if I can even hit anything for that matter.

I'll have a word with the organiser as you suggest :good:

Will be shooting at Nottingham & District Gun Club, I've been up over a few weekends to watch events and to get the gist of how things work/operate etc. for my own peace of mind :lol:

How are u classed at handicap if u have are not classified?

I'm new to all this so not entirely sure? I assumed I would be non competitive but could at least enter as a way of logging my scores to become classified? Could you advise how this works?

I was going to talk it over with the instructor when having a demo with the gun and then call the organiser.

EDIT:

Actually i'm seeing you point more now too, i'm guessing to become classified i'd need to shoot from a non handicapped scenario to accurate gauge my classification?

Edited by evolution380

All is revealed on the CPSA website under Publications, then Booklet 1, look under the DTL section. Below is a quick snapshot which may help you.

21. HANDICAP-BY-DISTANCE 21.1 For “Handicap-by-Distance” competitions, competitors will be allotted yardage handicaps according to their DTL classification, as follows: AA Class - 21.0m (23yd) behind the datum point A Class - 19.2m (21yd) behind the datum point B Class - 17.4m (19yd) behind the datum point C Class - 15.5m (17yd) behind the datum point The Datum Point is refereed to in Paras 18.41 and 18.42.

UNCLASSIFIED SHOOTERS 21.2 Unclassified competitors will shoot the first half of the competition from 21yd (19.2m). (The ‘A’ class mark.) They are then re-classified, re-squadded and will complete the competition at the appropriate distances.

SQUADDING 21.3 Squads must only be made up of competitors of the same class. No mixing of classes within a squad will be permitted on safety grounds. SCORING 21.4 Targets are shot and scored exactly as in DTL, except that the different firing points are used. 21.5 The classification of the competitor determines the firing point only, and plays no further part in the competition. Prizes are awarded in ranking order, based solely on points scored.

SQUADDING 21.3 Squads must only be made up of competitors of the same class. No mixing of classes within a squad will be permitted on safety grounds. SCORING 21.4 Targets are shot and scored exactly as in DTL, except that the different firing points are used. 21.5 The classification of the competitor determines the firing point only, and plays no further part in the competition. Prizes are awarded in ranking order, based solely on points scored.

Ok that makes sense but puts an unclassified total novice on a an A class squad.... better ask to go on the lowest squad B/C and if you shoot 300 just apologise.....

Ok that makes sense but puts an unclassified total novice on a an A class squad.... better ask to go on the lowest squad B/C and if you shoot 300 just apologise.....

The DTL rules and variations thereof have been in existence for a considerable number of years. If the CPSA or other home countries had a problem with a novice shooter attempting HBD then I'm sure the rules would've been amended to take it into consideration.

On another note personally I don't think it sensible for a total trap novice to rock up to either the English or British Open event to try out a gun.

Other competitors at national championships have a reasonable expectation that the person standing alongside them has a grasp of the discipline they're attempting to shoot.

The DTL rules and variations thereof have been in existence for a considerable number of years. If the CPSA or other home countries had a problem with a novice shooter attempting HBD then I'm sure the rules would've been amended to take it into consideration.

On another note personally I don't think it sensible for a total trap novice to rock up to either the English or British Open event to try out a gun.

Other competitors at national championships have a reasonable expectation that the person standing alongside them has a grasp of the discipline they're attempting to shoot.

Appreciate that Phil,

I think you're right, i'll try out the gun this week and get a few practice rounds, experience and general club events under my belt and then join CPSA to enter such competitions when I have a bit more experience and I can start the process of getting certified. No need to rush into such things after all.

I'll go along this weekend to spectate, I quite enjoy watching and i'll only pick up on the general jist of things as a result.

Edited by evolution380

Appreciate that Phil,

I think you're right, i'll try out the gun this week and get a few practice rounds, experience and general club events under my belt and then join CPSA to enter such competitions when I have a bit more experience and I can start the process of getting certified. No need to rush into such things after all.

I'll go along this weekend to spectate, I quite enjoy watching and i'll only pick up on the general jist of things as a result.

Join the CPSA now and get yourself insured, unless of course you have already done so with another organisation, you will then be ready to go as soon as you feel the time is right.

indeed which is why an A class squad could be unsettled by a novice on the line, and the novice unsettled by the etiquette. Never shot a handicapped round only standard DTL and ball trap lines

Probably best to stick to the Nottingham Sporting Clays side this weekend.

As PhillR has pointed out, the HBD DTL English and British championships wouldn't be a good idea to start at if you're new to competitive shooting.

There's a DTl registered and practice all disciplines on the NSC side and they're very helpfull, they'll talk you through it all.

• 2 weeks later...