In a nutshell, while I was over my friends farm today, a local smallholder to him called in to ask if he could help him with mink.

He has a large pond with an island from which all ducks have disappeared, and has seen what he thinks were mink crossing from the pond to a hedge line of grass / bramble growing up a sheep fence.

We went to see the area and could see what looked like small runs about 3 or 4 inch diameter in the hedge which is about 8 foot from the pond. Could this be mink ? Do they travel in a bramble hedge ?

Anyway, some live catch cage traps and mk 6 fenn in tunnels were set in the hedge baited with dog biscuit and tinned dog food.

Is there any chance of catching any mink, or is the setup doomed to failure ?

If you can dig a tunnel and put the live catch trap in that, what i did was to put the bait (cat food) in the tunnel end and then put the trap in so the mink had to go to the very end of the trap to try and get the food, that way they are more likely to set the trap off.

When i put traps out in the open i had mink trying to reach through and get the bait from the ends and sides of the trap, sometimes setting the trap off and then they pull the trap about until they can get to the food.