Ammo prices

Got a price today for FMJ 223 ammo ( target use ) @ £79.50 per 100 ( Remington hollow point). What prices do you guys pay for similar and which dealers? Talking North Yorks area. Would be willing to travel into West Yorks if prices were right. Anything but Privi Partisan as the gun wont cycle these cleanly.

Any help appreciated,

Cheers. Gaz

Got a price today for FMJ 223 ammo ( target use ) @ £79.50 per 100 ( Remington hollow point). What prices do you guys pay for similar and which dealers? Talking North Yorks area. Would be willing to travel into West Yorks if prices were right. Anything but Privi Partisan as the gun wont cycle these cleanly.

Any help appreciated,

Cheers. Gaz

We are using FN 5.56mm from Ammo zone UK £38 per 100 at the moment

Cheers Vince , it throws up the old chestnut of 5.56 in 223 :unhappy:

Nearly all F Class rifles are .223

http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/

and they all burn a lot of .5.56mm surplus ammo. Who else would people like ammozone UK be selling it to in such vast quantities? Its obvious when you think about it like that. What other market is there for it?

Any help appreciated,

Cheers. Gaz

FMJ Hollow point or soft point or whatever else mentioned in this topic are not normal "TARGET" ammo.

Indeed, you would struggle quite often to get it granted or accepted for target use at a lot of ranges.

If, as also mentioned by some here, their ammo is hardly great for target, then why are they actually using it?

Have a nice day!

:hmm::):good:

When you are on Ash ranges shooting turning man snaps at 100/200 yds a 2" group is still comfortably in the zone to give a maximum score. People do shoot .223/5.56 regularly out to 600yds with good results, not military ammo admittedly. Heavy bullets and very fast twists give good target accuracy

In Australia 223/5.56 is becoming the predominant target calibre now and I predict the UK will be the same in a few years time

Edited by Vince Green

Nearly all F Class rifles are .223

http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/

and they all burn a lot of .5.56mm surplus ammo. Who else would people like ammozone UK be selling it to in such vast quantities? Its obvious when you think about it like that. What other market is there for it?

Vince

Where do you get that from? ???

I think Team GB, currently out in Canada for the World F Class Championships may give you an argument about that.

Most certainly our countries best F Class shooter would, I shoot on the range and in the field with him regularly and was actually his Deer Mentor some years back!!

F Class runs out to 1000 yards. Use a .223 with 5.56 ammo if you want, but as regards using 5.56 Surplus, I think any F Class shooter who was even slightly serious about it would chuckle at that!

Even I can confidently put his F Class .308 regularly into 4 inches at 1000 Yards, I think that may be tricky with a .223 and 5.56 Surplus.

:good:

Edited by Dekers

Vince

Where do you get that from? ???

I think Team GB, currently out in Canada for the World F Class Championships may give you an argument about that.

Most certainly our countries best F Class shooter would, I shoot on the range and in the field with him regularly and was actually his Deer Mentor some years back!!

F Class runs out to 1000 yards. Use a .223 with 5.56 ammo if you want, but as regards using 5.56 Surplus, I think any F Class shooter who was even slightly serious about it would chuckle at that!

Even I can confidently put his F Class .308 regularly into 4 inches at 1000 Yards, I think that may be tricky with a .223 and 5.56 Surplus.

Actually its practical rifle that uses the lever release rifles shooting turning targets, but the term F Class is generically used to mean scoped military style rifles as opposed to aperture sighted target rifle or hunting rifles.

Generally speaking most clubs shoot a sort of mixture of practical and F Class but the term F Class seems favoured. Perhaps because practical has unfavourable connotations still in some people's minds, idiots dressing up and things like that.

Not everybody shoots in the national competitions, or indeed want to shoot any sort of competition. What team GB does it a world apart from the club level shooters I mix with

A lot of clubs just go to the range for a day out to enjoy what they do, making holes in bits of paper.

Not many ranges around the country go out to 1000 yds. The range I shoot on in Wales when I am down there is only 100yds and they have devised their own competitions based mainly around speed and they get through a lot of surplus 5.56. When you are firing ten shots in just over a minute not many people could afford ammo costing £1+ a bang, you could easily get through 100 or more in a session.

Butt zero at Bisley, Ash ranges and the one out in Norfolk are all used to shoot snaps, I am the club treasurer and we only buy surplus 5.56 and 7.62, the people that buy their own ammo generally buy PPU.

Edited by Vince Green

Actually its practical rifle that uses the lever release rifles shooting turning targets, but the term F Class is generically used to mean scoped military style rifles as opposed to aperture sighted target rifle or hunting rifles.

Generally speaking most clubs shoot a sort of mixture of practical and F Class but the term F Class seems favoured. Perhaps because practical has unfavourable connotations still in some people's minds, idiots dressing up and things like that.

Not everybody shoots in the national competitions, or indeed want to shoot any sort of competition. What team GB does it a world apart from the club level shooters I mix with

A lot of clubs just go to the range for a day out to enjoy what they do, making holes in bits of paper.

Not many ranges around the country go out to 1000 yds. The range I shoot on in Wales when I am down there is only 100yds and they have devised their own competitions based mainly around speed and they get through a lot of surplus 5.56. When you are firing ten shots in just over a minute not many people could afford ammo costing £1+ a bang, you could easily get through 100 or more in a session.

Butt zero at Bisley, Ash ranges and the one out in Norfolk are all used to shoot snaps, I am the club treasurer and we only buy surplus 5.56 and 7.62, the people that buy their own ammo generally buy PPU.

Vince, I generally have a lot of time for your comments but you have got a bit carried away with some seriously loose terminology and claims here!

You said F Class, which has defined rules, it isn't whatever you want whenever you want, it isn't, lets call our plinking session/our club shoot/our zeroing session/our fun club meet/etc., down the range F Class (albeit some may be close). If you want to wave your arms around and suggest "Generally speaking most clubs shoot a sort of mixture of practical and F Class but the term F Class seems favoured", I don't care, you can call a **** in the woods F Class if you like, it isn't!

"F Class is generically used to mean scoped military style rifles"....do behave... only by those who don't know what F Class is!!!

And no self respecting F Class shooter buys any ammo, they reload!

If you want to use a military rifle with military ammo then fine, enjoy yourself and have fun, but don't confuse your fun with F Class, you will be annihilated by any half serious F Class shooter.

This will be a scoped military style rifle commonly used in F Class:- :yes::lol:

post-20848-0-79860000-1502373811_thumb.jpg

...and it's a .308, not a 7.62 or .223 or 5.56! Any time you want to bring out your .223 with 5.56 Surplus (or even military 5.56 with Surplus) and have a try feel free! :good:

Edited by Dekers

Vince, I generally have a lot of time for your comments but you have got a bit carried away with some seriously loose terminology and claims here!

You said F Class, which has defined rules, it isn't whatever you want whenever you want, it isn't, lets call our plinking session/our club shoot/our zeroing session/our fun club meet/etc., down the range F Class (albeit some may be close). If you want to wave your arms around and suggest "Generally speaking most clubs shoot a sort of mixture of practical and F Class but the term F Class seems favoured", I don't care, you can call a **** in the woods F Class if you like, it isn't!

"F Class is generically used to mean scoped military style rifles"....do behave... only by those who don't know what F Class is!!!

And no self respecting F Class shooter buys any ammo, they reload!

If you want to use a military rifle with military ammo then fine, enjoy yourself and have fun, but don't confuse your fun with F Class, you will be annihilated by any half serious F Class shooter.

This will be a scoped military style rifle commonly used in F Class:- :yes::lol:

attachicon.gif004b.jpg

...and it's a .308, not a 7.62 or .223 or 5.56! Any time you want to bring out your .223 with 5.56 Surplus (or even military 5.56 with Surplus) and have a try feel free! :good:

OK I will tell the F Class section of our club they got it all wrong. They obviously have been living under a misapprehension all these years, does it really matter that much? not everybody want to be an international

OK I will tell the F Class section of our club they got it all wrong. They obviously have been living under a misapprehension all these years, does it really matter that much? not everybody want to be an international

This may help, F Class has rules, it doesn't matter if you are a fun club shooter or International, the rules are the same, if you are not shooting within these rules at club/fun level you are not shooting F Class!!

http://www.icfra.co.uk/FC_Rules_2014%20Final.pdf

Edited by Dekers