Bending trigger guard

supersport

Im about to purchase a new stock for my side by side 12 bore. The new stock has a semi pistol grip but currently my gun has a straight hand stock on it. My issue is that the extended trigger guard/tang on my gun is straight and will not fit on the new stock in its current state. My question is would i be able to bend the trigger guard to suit the new pistol grip stock?

Cheers!

Doubt you'll know until you try! The straight hand stock trigger guard is usually longer (and pointed?) than one required for a pistol grip? Which is usually rounded? So you would probably need to cut it to fit?

Edited to say, it also depends on the type of gun you are referring to! Your skills and what metal the trigger guard is made from....

Edited by panoma1

Doubt you'll know until you try! The straight hand stock trigger guard is usually longer (and pointed?) than one required for a pistol grip? Which is usually rounded? So you would probably need to cut it to fit?

Edited to say, it also depends on the type of gun you are referring to! Your skills and what metal the trigger guard is made from....

Thanks for your response, i would probably have to cut the trigger guard down but fortunately a close friend of mine is excellent with metal.

Edited by supersport

hello, what shotgun ? and how does the original fit to the action

The gun is a spanish boxlock, I brought it really cheap a few months ago as it was in brilliant condition and the action was immaculate. I dont know how the current stock fits to the action and i dont know how the new one will fit on, but it was a cheap gun and the new stock is cheap so im not to worried about making a few mistakes!

Cheers

The gun is a spanish boxlock, I brought it really cheap a few months ago as it was in brilliant condition and the action was immaculate. I dont know how the current stock fits to the action and i dont know how the new one will fit on, but it was a cheap gun and the new stock is cheap so im not to worried about making a few mistakes!

Cheers

hello, i presume the trigger guard you have now just screws in the action and a wood type screw into the stock ? i have just done a search on pistol grip stocks on side by side spanish guns like i think the AYA matador, maybe a trigger guard for these might be able to fit, here is a USA web site to give you an idea. Bobs Gunshop Inc, it is worth a look, failing that there are a few RFDs who have spares from many shotguns that are stripped for spares rather than destroyed, maybe rabbitbosher on here can help. cheers note you can also buy Baikal spares

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Sounds like bending the trigger guard is the least of problems. First you've got to get the stock to fit the action and that needs a precise fit given the recoil forces that go through it.

Good luck and hope it all goes well.

Thanks, It will be a bit of a project but hopefully i will be able to pull it of Edited by supersport

hello, i presume the trigger guard you have now just screws in the action and a wood type screw into the stock ? i have just done a search on pistol grip stocks on side by side spanish guns like i think the AYA matador, maybe a trigger guard for these might be able to fit, here is a USA web site to give you an idea. Bobs Gunshop Inc, it is worth a look, failing that there are a few RFDs who have spares from many shotguns that are stripped for spares rather than destroyed, maybe rabbitbosher on here can help. cheers note you can also buy Baikal spares

Thanks for you response! If i cant get the trigger gaurd to fit i might just end up turning the new stock into a straight hand stock, i know how to do this so it might be the better option.

I imagine the stock will be held on by a large screw under the top lever which screws through the head of the stock into the triggerplate...and a smaller screw that fits through the other end of the triggerplate and screws into the top strap.....to get at the latter you will need to remove the two wood screws that hold the trigger guard on and rotate the trigger guard to unscrew it.....the difficulty is if the new stock is not made for and drilled exactly to fit the particular action of your gun.....it won't fit!.....and unless you are very skilled you will have a major job (even if it's possible?) adapting it to fit!...

Fitting the trigger guard may be the least of the problems you will encounter?

I imagine the stock will be held on by a large screw under the top lever which screws through the head of the stock into the triggerplate...and a smaller screw that fits through the other end of the triggerplate and screws into the top strap.....to get at the latter you will need to remove the two wood screws that hold the trigger guard on and rotate the trigger guard to unscrew it.....the difficulty is if the new stock is not made for and drilled exactly to fit the particular action of your gun.....it won't fit!.....and unless you are very skilled you will have a major job (even if it's possible?) adapting it to fit!...

Fitting the trigger guard may be the least of the problems you will encounter?

It seems that the process may be more complicated than I first thought - I might just stick with the original stock.

It seems that the process may be more complicated than I first thought - I might just stick with the original stock.

If you have no experience (and even if you have a bit!) you may be wise to forget it? The first hurdle is getting the screws out without chewing them up! Stockers and gunsmiths use special screwdrivers that fit the screw slots properly.....using an ill fitting screwdriver is a recipe for disaster!! That is even before you start working on trying to fettle the new stock to fit the action......nowt wrong with a straight hand stock, I prefer them.......and have used them for well over 50 years!

If you have no experience (and even if you have a bit!) you may be wise to forget it? The first hurdle is getting the screws out without chewing them up! Stockers and gunsmiths use special screwdrivers that fit the screw slots properly.....using an ill fitting screwdriver is a recipe for disaster!! That is even before you start working on trying to fettle the new stock to fit the action......nowt wrong with a straight hand stock, I prefer them.......and have used them for well over 50 years!

I prefer the straight stock aswell but the one on my gun at the moment has a chip in it so I thought about sticking another one on it. I will probably leave it on though as changing it now seems like a bit of a challenge!

Is the stock you have bought -

i for the same make of gun?

ii is it new /machined and unfitted ?

iii is it second hand previously fitted ?

Which ever you will have problems in getting it to fit ,getting to fit to the cast and drop you want and getting the whole thing to work correctly . Bending the guard is the least of your problems .

Word of caution some guards were cast and do not take to being bent kindly ,heat and gentle persuasion may be required .

Is the stock you have bought -

i for the same make of gun?

ii is it new /machined and unfitted ?

iii is it second hand previously fitted ?

Which ever you will have problems in getting it to fit ,getting to fit to the cast and drop you want and getting the whole thing to work correctly . Bending the guard is the least of your problems .

Word of caution some guards were cast and do not take to being bent kindly ,heat and gentle persuasion may be required .

Cheers for you advice but i have decided I probably wont be using the new stock as it is far to complex and i dont really have the time to do all the Fiddling and things.

Has the gun got double triggers ?

If so, you may find a straight hand stock preferable to semi pistol anyway, moving back onto the rear trigger.

Just my thoughts.

OB