Standing Barley

WelshAndy

Afternoon chaps :good:

I shot nearly 100 crows from this field after it was drilled. Farmer phoned last night to say that crows and pigeons are flattening areas and could I sort them out.

As the land isn't to far from home I've been for a nosey. Parked in the gateway and the sky was filled with black and grey! Had a wonder round and found a nice flat area not far from an oak tree to set up.

My question is....

Should I put the decoys in an area that's already been fed on and flattened or do I put them on poles above an area that's still standing?

Never shot a standing crop so any advice please?

Thanks in advanced

Andy

Yep, setup on a area that is laid, does not matter if they have striped the area, it will be your killing area and birds will be easier to pick, obviously you don't want the laid area to close to your hide, about 25/30 yards is a nice range, good luck you should kill a few by the sounds of it.

Yes, put your main pattern where you want to kill your birds (on laid corn) and a few on fence posts and in standing corn if you like.

I see you killed 100 black'uns when it was sown so I think you know what you are doing.

If they are hitting it as hard as you say I would get on the field sooner than later, you only need someone knocking his door willing to shoot them now, black'uns will strip an area very quickly if left undisturbed.

Edited by old'un

I told the farmer that I will be in the field tomorrow morning before day break :good: setting up in fields of cut silage or drilled I've done quite a bit but never shot a field that is still standing.

Good idea of decoys on the fence posts :good:

Unfortunately I don't own a flapper or whirly so I'll just do as advised and go from there.

Thanks again for the tips and hope this rain stops!

Don't worry about the whirly/flapper, it will help pull pigeons but not always, as for blacks it always amazes me how they spot their mates from miles away without any movement.

In your first post you say you shot 100 Crows, were they all crows or a mix?

Your keen, think sunrise is about 5:30, I will be fast asleep at that hour thank you. Good luck for tomorrow and lets hope they are still there, don't forget to come back with a report on the day.

I originally shot the field after drilling, 60 odd the first weekend and 50 odd the following weekend, a mix of crows and jackdaws and a handful of pigeons.

When I walked the field earlier there probably equal amounts of all three again.

What I've noticed from last tim is that the crows come early and the pigeons later on in the day.

dogs & Barley don't mix. if no whirly just put a few decoys on the angled flat bits/as high up as you can so they are seen.atb

Why is that?

I have cut a few bamboo poles to lift the decoys :good:

This is something that has always gone through my mind when shooting over laid corn or swathed rape, in all the years I have been shooting I have only had one farmer moan about me walking out onto the laid area but after pointing out to him that the area I was walking over had already been stripped of corn and the birds I was killing on that day would more than likely have come back and stripped other areas.

I guess that out of the two your dog will do less damage and find the birds quicker than you walking about in the standing corn, if your farmer has asked you to shoot the field it might be worth feeling the water by telling him your plan of action (where you will set your decoys) and see what his reply is.

Dogs and barley, some dogs suffer more than others, the problem with barley is the long spines can get lodged in the dogs ears and throat, I have used spaniels and labs over the years and never had to much problem, if they do get a mouth full of spines just put your hand in and scrape them out and take plenty of water for your dog.

I originally shot the field after drilling, 60 odd the first weekend and 50 odd the following weekend, a mix of crows and jackdaws and a handful of pigeons.

When I walked the field earlier there probably equal amounts of all three again.

What I've noticed from last tim is that the crows come early and the pigeons later on in the day.

Why is that?

I have cut a few bamboo poles to lift the decoys :good:

barley seed in ear £579 vet bill lesson learnt.(on a lab about 10 years ago would guess operation would be alot more today)also caused dog alot of stress....

Just a quick run down from my morning.

Alarm went off at 4.30am and it was raining pretty heavy, with a good wind too! If seen the forecast which said it was to clear...

Was set up and sat in my hide for before 5.30am which was too early for a change! First crow shot at 6.05am and the last I shot was at 10.40am. I gave up as I was soaked through...

58 shot and managed to pick 30 odd crows and pigeons. Glad I didn't take the dog but disappointed I could pick all my birds.

Will have another go on Sunday as the forecast is supposed to be better.

Thanks again for the above advise :good:

Alarm went off at 4.30am and it was raining pretty heavy, with a good wind too! If seen the forecast which said it was to clear...

Was set up and sat in my hide for before 5.30am which was too early for a change! First crow shot at 6.05am and the last I shot was at 10.40am. I gave up as I was soaked through...

58 shot and managed to pick 30 odd crows and pigeons. Glad I didn't take the dog but disappointed I could pick all my birds.

Nice one Andy. :good:

Don't forget to add your total/s to the PW tally.

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/349646-how-many-corvids-are-killed-by-pw-members-in-2017/

Well done and not a bad bag considering the weather, next time take a fishing brolly, it will not put them off.

Why did you not take the dog?

Well done and not a bad bag considering the weather, next time take a fishing brolly, it will not put them off.

Why did you not take the dog?

It's in my shopping list! Haha

I decided against the dog as I read quite a few horror stories of barley in eyes, ears and pads.

Would you take your dog?

First I presume you have your dog insured? Had to have my dog put down (cancer) so I am dog less at present but to answer your question, yes I would take my dog and have always taken my dog, its true barley can damage your dog but so can grass seeds, in-fact the very act of taking your dog out shooting puts it in all sorts of danger, do you hunt with your dog? Do you go beating with your dog?, like I said before if the dog gets a mouthful of barley spines just scrape them out and take plenty of water for your dog, barley spines can be a bit abrasive on dogs chest and ears but after a couple of days it heals.

Crows, make sure they are dead before you send your dog, especially if its a young dog.

Have a 5 year old lab who I work on our diy syndicate and pick up with him on a local estate. He comes crow shooting, but never retrieves unless I'm certain the bird is dead.

He is insured but I wouldn't want to knowingly put his health at risk, hence my question on barley. It's all new this standing crop so talking to the knowledgeable helps :good:

Thanks again.

I'm going to have another go at this field tomorrow as the weather is supposed to be better...

There weren't many 'laid' areas, will I be wasting my time using the same spot as last time?

When you get to the field , take some time watching it and watch what the pigeons do , if the wind is different from when you last went then the pigeons might approach the field from a different angle and head for another laid patch , you only want to set up once so make sure you get it right the first time . Good luck

Usually I prefer to shoot early morning, first light. Couldn't get out till nearly 11am today.

Arrived at the field and about 50 crows and maybe a dozen pigeon lifted. Set up as close to where I saw them possible, only managed 20. Nice couple of hours but definitely prefer the early morning shoot :good:

Thanks again for the advice.