Which pickup?

wildfowler.250

Going to treat my self to a dmax blade next year around 15 plate or second choice hilux around same age drove a fuw new shape rangers in manual the gearboxs feel horrible and notchey never tried them in auto but will be wanting a manual as the misses may use it now and again and won't drive a automatic

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to treat my self to a dmax blade next year around 15 plate or second choice hilux around same age drove a fuw new shape rangers in manual the gearboxs feel horrible and notchey never tried them in auto but will be wanting a manual as the misses may use it now and again and won't drive a automatic

That's interesting, mine won't drive a manual, never had one myself but the D Max does seem very well thought of by people who have them.

Edited by Vince Green

I'd say 22k is a massive amount of cash to spend on a run about shooting vehicle.

At that money any motor will be pretty good and reliable and most likely still under warranty anyway. A lot might depend on how long u intend to keep it.

Most 4x4 are rubbish on fuel no matter wot badge even suzki jimnys are only about 30ish mpg

If ur buying 2nd hand either at that price or lower i'd be looking at wot the individual pick up has done (abused towing? abused off road or heavy loads) and for the extra's the previous owner had put on it (load liners £200, canopy can be £1-2K) and possibly more important 1 that has the VAT already paid as that will save u 4K at 20k pick up price

1 thing I would ask and would help me decide is wot weight the pick up is?

Seems a random question but some off the heavier pick ups have a lower speed limit, when its over a certain weight its no longer a dual purpose vehicle and becomes a good vehicle

It really will come down to ur personal preference at that type of money and depend on the individual pick up but most of the top brands are really pretty good nowadays and pretty comfortable to drive on the road even for long distances even in the back seats

I know two families that our businesses who are both on their third Isuzus, neither of them will have anything else now. My neighbour also has the dmax blade in white with the graphite wheels and it is a really good looking truck, he is an old farmer and again he said won't but anything else except Isuzu.

You should remember that all 4x4 pick ups are basically commercial vehicles and as such you will not get micra mpg.also if you are pushing them through wet muddy fields none of them will give decent mpg.i have owned mazda.ford.nissan and hilux.i now run only hilux and this is purely down to my experience over the years.i looked at two invincible at our local main agents a few weeks ago both under a year old next to no mileage and both 16k with no vat.so with your budget you will have a massive range to choose from.

I have a 12 plate 2.5 hilux, had it 3 years, done about 35000 miles in that time and it never missed a beat, I tried a few different trucks and decided on the Hilux , it does everything I need and more, been through serious mud and boggy ground and done a couple of long European trips and it just hasn't let me down, as with all 4x4s just keep on top of the servicing. Good luck with your choice.

S

Got to be a hilux. Was teaching a mechanic to drive the other week he lived in Australia and worked as a mechanic over there. He said they had Hilux in for servicing some over 20 years old and not an oil leak to be seen anywhere and also some silly mileage on them and still original engines fitted. From an engineering point of view it's got to be the hilux for durability and reliability but I know they are not as flashy as the L200's etc but for me I need a vehicle I can trust and rely on. You pay more initially maybe but save in the long run on repairs etc. The L200s can start to have problems around the 100k miles I have heard.

Not had my 2014 Hilux (3L auto Invincible) for long (May) but can't fault it. Recently went on honeymoon to the North West of Scotland and put 1,700 miles on her. Motorways, up the sides of mountains (Bearlah na Ba) and a bit of off road (gravel and mud tracks), etc, etc.

I drive a 62 hilux 2.5. 36 mpg over 20k miles, comfortable, capable, relaxed and reliable.

Moose test :lol:. By accident, two weeks ago i did a Roe deer test at 45mph as it jumped out in front of me. Straight over the top and only minor damage to the grill.

Whenever i go to Africa we use only Hilux or Landcruiser. I cannot believe what they are capable off. Up very steep rocky outcrops, over burms and through heavy scrub. To the point where I nearly jumped off the back as we went side on up a river bed. I would never dare drive mine like that. I don't think I saw any other pick up's on the reserves.

Guest stevo

Up until last night I was a pretty much sold on the idea of a new L200 barbarian in Feb next year. My mate have just bought one , and last night the pair of us had to go pick something up and so I thought I would be a great time to give it a road test with a view of getting one myself. WELL .............. never in a million years , it has to be the worst driving position ever made. It feels like your sitting on the floor !! and the ride was shocking , we done about 85 mile round trip and I would say that was 60 mile too much . Noisy , cheap plastic everywhere , road noise was ***** above 50mph .

Was seriously not impressed for what they cost

I'll add further to my post about my Hilux and the honeymoon driving. On the way back home I did 11 hours straight from Blair Athol (House of Bruar) to Sou'fend and is was such a comfortable drive.

Up until last night I was a pretty much sold on the idea of a new L200 barbarian in Feb next year. My mate have just bought one , and last night the pair of us had to go pick something up and so I thought I would be a great time to give it a road test with a view of getting one myself. WELL .............. never in a million years , it has to be the worst driving position ever made. It feels like your sitting on the floor !! and the ride was shocking , we done about 85 mile round trip and I would say that was 60 mile too much . Noisy , cheap plastic everywhere , road noise was ***** above 50mph .

Was seriously not impressed for what they cost

Driving pickups is so different to cars, I drive mine as a daily driver and we go away a fair bit in it. 6hrs to Cornwall once a year and it just does the job. The materials inside are functional and clean up well, mine spends summer lamping and winter game shooting. As multi function it's great, but get in it after a car and the ride takes a little getting used to.

What puts me off hilux's is a the price and b the lack of a sensible engine. The 2.5 is under powered but gets decent economy, the 3l you get the power but economy isn't great. Stick on at tyres and do some off road work and you do hit it. Currently with a couple of nights lamping mine is still averaging 32.5 which as I do 15k or so a year is fine by me.

Ford are having problems with the 3.2 engines in the rangers so I would avoid one if you are planning to keep it for a good amount of time.

Hiluxs are good trucks without a doubt, but I wouldnt be without my l200 now, the ability to drive on road in 4wd when towing or going from field to field sets it apart for me. I've got a set of grabber at3's and still get over 30mpg running about. My truck is a late series 4 and without a doubt when the time comes to change I will have a series 5. I've driven all the pick ups and the l200 feels also one of the most easy to drive.

Go and drive them and pick what you like being in. Every one of them will do what you want it for and more. If your towing and abusing it the Isuzu is a proper commercial they don't really make cars. But as a shoot bus all are fine. As others have said good and bad points,for me mainly on road the amarok it may look big buts not. Toyota reliable plasticky and not as good as I thought they'd be unless in top spec. L200 not bad for the price. Ranger I don't like owned a thunder and never again. Nissan new Navarra supposed to be quie good,Mercedes wouldn't rebadge one if it were pants.

I personally don't like the drive of pick ups bouncy and harsh without any load and sluggish when loaded.