stock finishing

just stripped s stock, and applied 3/4 coats of boiled linseed oil, although it looks good, the end product is a bit dull is there anything i can apply to give it a bit of sheen, not to much mind, atb ray

just stripped s stock, and applied 3/4 coats of boiled linseed oil, although it looks good, the end product is a bit dull is there anything i can apply to give it a bit of sheen, not to much mind, atb ray

post-929-0-89188600-1501869866_thumb.jpg

Edited by pigeonbasher1

3-4 coats at least you've started 16-17 more and you'll start to get somewhere.

yup.. :good: after a couple of weeks it will start to "bloom".................when you are rubbing in you only need 3 or 4 drops at a time...and it needs to get hot on your palm..

Guest stevo

I have just started on my DT11 , took the stock off about an hour ago I'm expecting to spend around 20 hrs in total. I use walnut oil with a touch of my own secret sauce mixed in with the oil. I will put one drop on each side and spend a good 15 - 20 mins on each side , leave over night to dry then buff and repeat. As said there is no quick and easy way , if your hands are not burning your not putting the effort in.

afaid not, is it to late now?

Try rubbing down with 0000 grade steel wool first, then try the Alkanet oil. It is a very thin oil and should soak in quickly, even after a couple of coats of Linseed. It should really make those black lines stand out and will enhance any colour that is there. If only I could get photographs on here I would post some of my Browning stock that I have done. I did not strip the stock back, just used the fine steel wool, going with the grain, then the Alkanet oil, (around 6 coats, 1 per day) then the finishing oil ( about 6 coats the same, only 1 every other day) and then rub like hell. Be careful though, with all the rubbing, I went blind in 1 eye ! :rolleyes:

Edited by Westley

Wood (walnut) can be very forgiving i have found........do as Westley says # post 10....also dip the wire wool in white spirit and rub the stock down dry it off....let the stock dry...and start again...............

if all fails and it dosnt take the prestain............warm it up with a hot air gun which will open the grain...and sweep the pre-stain in whilst that area is still hot............

I have just started on my DT11 , took the stock off about an hour ago I'm expecting to spend around 20 hrs in total. I use walnut oil with a touch of my own secret sauce mixed in with the oil. I will put one drop on each side and spend a good 15 - 20 mins on each side , leave over night to dry then buff and repeat. As said there is no quick and easy way , if your hands are not burning your not putting the effort in.

It would be very interesting to see photographs of the DT11 woodwork once it has been refinished.

Guest stevo

After its finished you will probably get another ooooooja, Very nice.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of the oooooooja , but I'm aiming for a whoooop whooooop when it's done 😂

Edited by stevo

So far this evening I reckon I have spent about 2.5 hrs just plaming a couple of drops on each side. I'm sick of the sight of it for today.

It would appear from the photograph that you having a cracking piece of wood on your DT11 and once it is refinished it is going to look even better. I am sure that the pain in your hands will be short lived once the wood is finished. Huge respect that you are taking this job yourself. It will enhance your ownership and use of the gun. I look forward to seeing the finished article.