Muntjac Bedfordshire sept

Tford

Hi all,

Never been stalking, but have rifle shot fox for a good few years. I'm in Bedfordshire in mid sept and would be interested in doing a morning or evening accompanied stalk on muntjac. I've had a quick search but am I out of the usual season? Does anyone know any stalking providers in that county?

Thanks from a deer novice.

Getting the little ****** to stand still for more than two seconds is the hard bit :yes: Hope you enjoy your stalk. I rate the muntie both stalking and eating. Peel the back straps out, cut at an angle into two inch steaks and thin them out with a meat mallet (gently). Sizzling butter and a little garlic in the skillet. Flip them till just brown and they will melt in your mouth.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd do the decent thing and do a little write up after you all gave me some advice/recommendations.

Went out this blustery but sunny morning and met Jason at his around 06:30, quick coffee and chat, and first muntie walked across his garden so all looked promising! With the wind blowing we then headed out in to the fields from the yard around the boundaries, not expecting much to be out in the wind. After a few fields we crossed into the woods and stalked through some more of the estate, which is a lovely plot of land. Saw perhaps the rear end of 10 or so that spotted us well in advance (plus probably another 10 that we didn't see!). Like a few people said the cover was thick enough to make it difficult, but not impossible.

After about 1h15 we caught sight of one that was around 40 yrds out and in a thick bit of brush. She stood still.... very still... and so did we, but after 10 minutes of standing waiting for a clear shot we gave up and moved on as she seemed like she could have stood there forever. After a few more sightings through the woods we stood at a long ride and watched two does walk out halfway along. A stalk a little closer, and then down on the bipod. After they moved around a little one positioned side on long enough for a quick shot (maybe 90-100 yards). Shot ended up about 1.5 inches high of the centre of the chest and done the job cleanly. I used an estate rifle for the stalk, so I'll maintain thats the reason I was a little higher than planned! :-)

Quick gralloch, and walk back to the yard. Probably out for 2 hours in total. Jason even skinned and quartered it for me as don't really have the tools in centerparcs, yet alone the usual problem of a squeamish wife!! Final coffee in the office and job done.

Overall I really rated the stalk, proved difficult enough to get close and see in the thick, which given the number about made you feel like it was a decent hunt! I event thought at one point I might not get a shot at one, although I think Jason knew he could always get me on one whatever and clearly knew where they would be found if things looked bleak.

I would therefore join the club in highly recommending Jason @ Muntjacstalker.com (also does CWD) as he clearly knows his stuff, is easy to get on with, and provided a great service. His approach of selling his stalks himself also means he doesn't oversell what he is offering, and is realistic in what to expect... which was a great bit of stalking!

I now fear I'm going to have take up stalking... and buying a new rifle for it!

I would add a photo, but can't be bothered with the photobucket thing

Edited by Tford