A leap of faith.

JDog

This week we had house guests. These were friends from our old village in the Cotswolds and they have been keen to come and visit us in the Wolds for some time.

If I explain that these friends spend some of the winter in Florida, the spring in Portugal and part of the autumn cruising it would be easy to spot that I might have difficulty finding something for us to do and them to enjoy in Lincolnshire.

There was no option then but to take them to the coast. I thought Skegness just might not suit so one day it was Saltfleetby walking amongst the sea lavender on the salt marsh, the next day it was Chapel St Leonards walking in the dunes on the deserted and windswept beach.

It was on the coast that I spotted some pigeons working a rape stubble. This was a field against the sea wall. As we drove by I got quite excited even though we were miles from home, I didn't know any farmers in the area and I had three people in the car and no kit. When our guests left the following day I put the kit and Jasper in the car and drove the forty miles back more in hope than expectation. The pigeons were still there but there wasn't a farm steading in sight. Luckily I had my Landranger series map in the car and I made a beeline for what looked like farm buildings on the map. Five miles later I met a farmer in his yard. It wasn't his field! He did give me the name of the farmer who did own it and another five miles later I was in his yard explaining myself and asking if I could shoot his pigeons.

He looked at me as though I was from Mars. 'You have driven forty miles to shoot pigeons?' He asked. 'That's nothing' I replied, 'I have driven much further and shot none'. The pathos worked and half an hour later I was set up round a telegraph pole with the wind and sun both wrong for my position but that was how I had to set up due to the proximity of a road and a footpath.

I must say I enjoyed myself for the next three hours shooting some decent birds coming down wind as well as simple ones coming into the decoys. I picked exactly 50 pigeons which I thought was a fair reward for my efforts.

Edited by JDog

If anyone has met JDog they would understand why he is lucky.........a truly decent bloke with very pleasant humour....a very difficult person to refuse...(nice to see you can still operate the old pity routine.. :lol: )

really chuffed for you JD.......

we will expect pics and ripsnorting stories...from this new "field of operations"

:good::good::good:

Dedication at the highest level if you ask me , I don't think I would have driven 40 miles on the off chance that nobody was shooting it , find the farm and then gain permission to shoot the stubble, which is not the easiest thing to do if you don't know the owner .

So well done on all accounts Mr JDog and a lesson for those who presume every bit of ground is covered by other pigeon shooters , because believe you me , it isn't all covered and never will be .