First blood

tx4cabbie

Been a bit cagey about using the flobert garden gun in my postage stamp of an suburban garden, but it's more than 50 feet to the road, it's got a little suppressor brazed onto the end which does attenuate the sound a bit, and they're rat's, in my garden, which I can't stand.

Saw one bouncing along, quite helpfully just in front of a little bit of raised ground, only a few inches but enough to stop 6 shot from a 9mmm.

Quietly stepped to the open back door in my carpet slippers, and let him have about 7g of 6 shot from about 5 yards. Bowled over, kicked twice, dead. Bit loud for a VERY quiet Saturday afternoon, but shot from inside the door to contain some of the bang, and could have been me hitting something with a hammer, or using the co2 pistol, so not too concerned about the met bursting through my door following reports of gunfire, plus, not breaking the law so all is well.

Most importantly, my 9mm has broken it's duck, and taken first blood from rattus rattus. Wee corpse in a poo bag in the bin, and I'm off to put the gun back in the safe.

Been a bit cagey about using the flobert garden gun in my postage stamp of an suburban garden, but it's more than 50 feet to the road, it's got a little suppressor brazed onto the end which does attenuate the sound a bit, and they're rat's, in my garden, which I can't stand.

Saw one bouncing along, quite helpfully just in front of a little bit of raised ground, only a few inches but enough to stop 6 shot from a 9mmm.

Quietly stepped to the open back door in my carpet slippers, and let him have about 7g of 6 shot from about 5 yards. Bowled over, kicked twice, dead. Bit loud for a VERY quiet Saturday afternoon, but shot from inside the door to contain some of the bang, and could have been me hitting something with a hammer, or using the co2 pistol, so not too concerned about the met bursting through my door following reports of gunfire, plus, not breaking the law so all is well.

Most importantly, my 9mm has broken it's duck, and taken first blood from rattus rattus. Wee corpse in a poo bag in the bin, and I'm off to put the gun back in the safe.

I think youll find it'll be Rattus Norvegicus?

After a quick wiki check of my facts, I think I might very well find it's rattus norvegicus! Oops, black rat indeed! Idiot (me not you), if there's black rats carrying plague around my little patch of England, I'm off.

This one was brown, about 12 inches long including tail, and full of holes. The one I saw from the bathroom window as i showered was smaller, and more alive, but not for long.

Hmmmm, to borrow a sub 12 air rifle, or buy a hushpower 410/9mm suppressor ?

Edited by tx4cabbie

Crosman 781 single pump pneumatic, for when you absolutely positively have to kill every mother.....

It's a poor imitation of an air rifle that I bought 25years ago for a tenner, but poke it out the shower room window and aim carefully, and you too can be surprised and amazed when it kills a brown rat cleanly with a shot just behind the ear.

Crosman aimpells, 177. Excellent. Am currently strutting around the kitchen making a stirfry, feeling like the mighty hunter. Pathetic to you actual hunters who get out and stalk actual game, but I see hundreds of urban foxes and rats a night from my cab, and never get to shoot at live game, so this is quite big for me.

We've got hedgepigs in the garden, and a cocker spaniel that thinks "no" is an exhortation to go ahead. I've got poison in boxes, and a couple of traps, but they seem trap adverse, and can't go too ott as don't want dog or hedgehogs hurt.

Quite enjoying the shooting of them, not the death part but the challenge of making a cheap rubbish toy rifle do the job.