Re-Zeroed The X3 And...

ShaggyRS6

Just a bit of info.. The higher the mag the smaller the "exit pupil" of the scope, that is the smaller the hole through which light passes. What this means is at dusk you will not see anywhere near as well as you could do, at that magnification. The lower the mag the better the scope transmits the light and the better you will see.

I'd personally not go anything higher than about 6x @ 30yds but every one is different :good: I shoot rabbits past 100yds with the hmr and the scope there is set at 10x.

If your shooting at night to get the most light from a vari mag you divide the objective lens by 7 and it will give you the best mag for light gathering

Its something to do with the exit pupil of your eye.

So if you have a 56mm obj divided by 7 you get 8 hence the mighty 8X56

And if you have a 42mm obj divied by 7 you get 6 which is the 6x42

You can go lower than that mag but your eye isnt able to distinguish any more light than that or something.

My scope has a 50 mil obj and i leave it on 16x in the day for 25-150yard shots and down to 10 at dusk or if its hard to see stuf down to 7

x20 mag? do you not find it wobbles all over the place set that high?

Good clean kill mind :good:

I will trying winding back a bit :yp:

Give it a try about 8 or 10 mag you will notice the difference very little wobble then.... :oops::lol:

makes me laugh EVERY time I see someone saying this. Its not wobbling anymore than it is if you have the mag at 6x. The only reason it looks like it is wobbling more is because you are magnifying the wobble. Make sense??

oh and here is a quote out of the Total Airgun Hunting book just to prove my point above:

''Try shooting on the highest magnification you can. If you wobble on aim, you'll still be doing so just as much if you reduce the magnigication. Keep the mag' high and fix the wobble by improving your technique. This tip could transform your shooting - so take notice of it.''

I rest my case lol :mad:

yet again good shooting Cupra, I have shot a mk111 before and it is hard to miss though!! lol. Very nice shot placement however :lol:

Just me, but surely at airgun ranges full mag is a bit much I reckon. At 100 - 150 yrds from a bipod sounds a bit more realistic to me, just my opinion.

As for the 'wobble' thing, I think its generally understood that the higher the mag = the more amplified your natural movements (wobbling) becomes, I dont believe anyone thinks that they physically wobble the rifle more as a direct result of cranking up the mag :blush:

agree completely with Cyber

the only time i wouldn't use maximum mag is at dusk or dawn for the reasons as outlined by psittacosis

So, let me get this right, in Cuppramans case you and Cyber are saying he should be using 50x (his max mag) for shooting rabbits at 30yards?

the only time i wouldn't use maximum mag is at dusk or dawn for the reasons as outlined by psittacosis

So, let me get this right, in Cuppramans case you and Cyber are saying he should be using 50x (his max mag) for shooting rabbits at 30yards?

No, that isn't what I am saying atall if you re-read my post. I am simply saying that it makes me laugh when people say they wobble 'more' when they turn up the mag when it isn't true and they are wobbling exactly the same amount as they are doing with the mag turned down. I only shoot with my mag between 6x and 10x which is fine for air rifle ranges although it does state in the Total airgun book to use the highest mag you can (making sure you can still see clearly) as it will improve your overall technique in reducing wobble.

OK, so it was Vegeta saying it whilst agreeing with you - so that's 2 of us that need glasses :blush:

and also, Vegeta is saying that he uses 'his' scope on max mag which doesn't mean to say he has a 50x mag. He might have a much lower mag scope. I think at 50x mag on an air rifle at 30yards, you would be able to see the bloody flees running around on the wabbit! lol ;)

Whilst I can see the benefit in training ones self by using a higher mag, unless you have a really good scope, you are not getting as good a picture and I don't care what anyone says its true - more mag = worse picture.

If I can hit rabbits out past 100yds on 10x mag, you don't need anything more closer in :blush: