Roast Venison

bluesj

I’ve never been a massive fan of venison , yeah its ok but nothing to rave about. Ive always been told that it needs to be hung and you should do this or that with it. I usually swap any deer i get for lamb pork etc instead.

This morning I went out after a little reo that had a dodgy leg where my boy works. Any way found it and pop it was in the bag, as it was only small i boned it out for sausages but kept one leg and just roasted it and wow It was beautiful! Twelve hours from field to plate is the way forward!

Just like to hang in a cool place for a day or two to firm up the meat. Then bone most of it out and into the freezer. I believe a month or two in the freezer does the job. Never ever had a bad piece of venison other than a haunch off a Chinese which was given to me... put me off Chinese until recently when I had a whole fresh in the skin buck given me. Treated it as I always do and it was top whole.

NOW ...my favorite way of doing a haunch is to make up a marinade of brown sugar, maple syrup, white wine vinegar, Cajun spice mix and a splash of Worcestershire Sauce.

Rub the joint all over with some mustard and then sprinkle on the Cajun mix and rub it in well. Mix the liquids and then pour this over the joint, turn it over a few times and put it in the fridge for 48hrs, turning it over every time you think of it. Place in a chicken brick or similar wrapped in some good dry smoked bacon and roast as you would normally roast a leg of lamb etc. using only the liquids in the bowl as basting.

Check after about 1hr with a meat thermometer and then every 15 mins until it reads beef medium. Let it rest in a warm oven for twenty minutes before carving.

Just like to hang in a cool place for a day or two to firm up the meat. Then bone most of it out and into the freezer. I believe a month or two in the freezer does the job. Never ever had a bad piece of venison other than a haunch off a Chinese which was given to me... put me off Chinese until recently when I had a whole fresh in the skin buck given me. Treated it as I always do and it was top whole.

NOW ...my favorite way of doing a haunch is to make up a marinade of brown sugar, maple syrup, white wine vinegar, Cajun spice mix and a splash of Worcestershire Sauce.

Rub the joint all over with some mustard and then sprinkle on the Cajun mix and rub it in well. Mix the liquids and then pour this over the joint, turn it over a few times and put it in the fridge for 48hrs, turning it over every time you think of it. Place in a chicken brick or similar wrapped in some good dry smoked bacon and roast as you would normally roast a leg of lamb etc. using only the liquids in the bowl as basting.

Check after about 1hr with a meat thermometer and then every 15 mins until it reads beef medium. Let it rest in a warm oven for twenty minutes before carving.

that sounds good

Next time you roast venison put garlic and juniper berries in the haunch . They work really well with red and roe haunches.

Garlic!! :sick: :sick:

• 2 weeks later...

Probably helped that it was so young.

I'm considering if it's easier to just get a mincer and dice up and mince the next one I shoot as I'm thinking it'll be easier than having all the different cuts

Lazy!!! Ha. Nothing wrong woth a roasted haunch.. And back strap needs nothing but introducing to a frying pan... Melt in mouth...