Freezing Pigeons?

Hi all,

How long can a pigeon be frozen for (in a shell decoy to keep the shape)?

Is this ever even done? Just for shooting the odd pigeon up to a week before decoying.

Thanks.

I am not really sure what you mean or what you are asking , there are a lot of wiser people on here than me , so someone will soon come up with the answer .

I have got a wire basket in my freezer and I put eight in on there backs and let the head hang down through the gaps in the mesh , so when you take them out they can be put on a cradle while still frozen .

Then in my chest freezer I have put two pigeons on the magnet arms and froze them in position in the freezer , so when you go , you can take them out and use them without thawing them out first , I stopped doing this after a while as I wasn't sure it would weaken the metal arms .

Hope you get the answer before to long .

I am not really sure what you mean or what you are asking , there are a lot of wiser people on here than me , so someone will soon come up with the answer .

I have got a wire basket in my freezer and I put eight in on there backs and let the head hang down through the gaps in the mesh , so when you take them out they can be put on a cradle while still frozen .

Then in my chest freezer I have put two pigeons on the magnet arms and froze them in position in the freezer , so when you go , you can take them out and use them without thawing them out first , I stopped doing this after a while as I wasn't sure it would weaken the metal arms .

Hope you get the answer before to long .

Thanks (I wasn't too clear), that's pretty much what I was asking about. I wanted to know if people did put pigeons in freezers for later, and if they didn't explode as they thawed or something...

Thanks (I wasn't too clear), that's pretty much what I was asking about. I wanted to know if people did put pigeons in freezers for later, and if they didn't explode as they thawed or something...

No AYA , you don't have to worry about them exploding , another way is de breasting the pigeon by just cutting the breast off for your own consumption and then freezing the carcass until you require it , use it a few times and then repeat the process .

Or freezing the whole body and take it out the night before you go , then they are nice and supple by the morning which allow you to put on cradles , spike em under the chins or put on the magnet arms .

take a far old time to defrost,allow 10 hours.......usually replace freezer/decoy ones each time as they can get rank pretty quick,especially in summer......fortnight ago used the microwave to assist in the defrost......would have worked too if I had set it to defrost......9 minutes on full power had 'em leaking from orifices I did'nt know existed...feathers went a bit 'funny' too......

I only keep @ 6 in the freezer.......enough to get going with the rotary/flapper......

I don't worry too much about defrosting mine, they sit OK in the cradles frozen and in the colder months, they don't even thaw throughout a day, so I refreeze and use again.

The decoy getting tatty with loose feathers etc., usually comes before the smell.

I often keep back a couple of fresh birds from the freezer, for the next days rotary, or flappers.

I don't worry too much about defrosting mine, they sit OK in the cradles frozen and in the colder months, they don't even thaw throughout a day, so I refreeze and use again.

The decoy getting tatty with loose feathers etc., usually comes before the smell.

I often keep back a couple of fresh birds from the freezer, for the next days rotary, or flappers.

I agree with what your saying , I don't often start with dead ones from the freezer nowadays unless I need two for the magnet , if its in the Summer I take two out first thing in the morning and they have thawed enough to use by dinner time and during the colder weather I then take two out the night before .

Dead ones have to be the number one choice as far as decoys are concerned , but I try not to waste anything that I shoot if I can help it , so I start with my spread of flexi coys and two on the magnet , and if they are from the day before, then they will end up in the freezer when I get home and lay the bag out , and these will be sold on at a later date .