**** in gun shop

There are others like this. >> "What game cartridges have you got in at the moment"? Reply. >" The Barbour jackets are over there"! Scratch head! "No I'm after cartridges". "Oh, the wellies are over there". Perhaps the bloke had lost his hearing through not using ear defenders. But I have seen some bad customer service. It's a bit counter productive if you are trying to sell stuff

Went to The Midland Game Fair some 20 years ago with the aim of purchasing a Theoben Rapid 7. The airgun section was right at the very end of Gunmakers row and I waited until the fair was up and running before taking a walk down to look at the Theoben pitch.

Asked the rather disinterested chap behind the stall if I could take a look at one of the rifles, and he almost begrudgingly handed a Rapid 7 over to me. I had a general look over the rifle and then shouldered the gun with the muzzle pointing up into the branches of the big tree next to the stall.

Next thing I knew was the rifle being wrested from my hands, almost breaking my finger on my right hand, and a snotty remark about pointing guns.

I was a bit taken aback and said that the gun was pointing up into the branches of the bloody tree and was nowhere near to being dangerous, but this didn't seem to matter as he just stormed off into the rear of the stall.

Needless to say I never bought a Rapid 7 or any other Theoben rifle after that.

Funny how the more specific the shop the more crabby the staff are - used to go in a fishing shop but stopped as everything I bought the owner would berate you as it wasn't proper fishing (still stocked them and took my money though)

This movement to get rid of chain stores and support independents forgets self owned shops are often the domain of the crabby old ***

Which one prawn?

Recognised his voice.

He is pretty good with air rifles but as far a cartridge firing guns are concerned he is a real eejit.

Bang on Graham! I was going to get to the end of the posts and state exactly that... Going back a few years there used to be a miserable old goat who wore a filthy brown work overall, who worked there. From what i could see through his open door, he did the "Gun Smith" work. As first impressions go, it looked like he'd put a large bucket of old engine oil on the floor, dragged in a light metal work lathe in there and some old tools, went inside and closed the door, before pulling the pins on a few hand grenades! Disgusting conditions!

Having said all that, if i ever talked to the man about air guns he was polite, and really seemed to know his stuff, and was never pushy...

Edited by jam1e

As first impressions go, it looked like he'd put a large bucket of old engine oil on the floor, dragged in a light metal work lathe in there and some old tools, went inside and closed the door, before pulling the pins on a few hand grenades! Disgusting conditions! .

That's what most gunsmiths were/are like. It's the quality of the work and the knowledge of the craftsman not how clean and tidy it is.

I can't

That is a terrible attitude no excuse .

The guy walked in to give him custom and he shouted him out of the shop .

The nature of the custom is irrelevant .

A few years ago I phoned South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies and spoke to Roger about fitting a trigger kit to my CZ. He was very accommodating and offered to send me a kit and fitting instructions. I was a bit anxious as I had already planned to visit a local shop to buy the kit as I wanted to support my local gunshop. When I explained this the Roger he agreed entirely with me and told me to give him a call if I got stuck with the fitting.

I was very impressed with him, and when I wanted another kit I did send off to SYSS for it. Great service from a great gunshop.

A few years ago I phoned South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies and spoke to Roger about fitting a trigger kit to my CZ. He was very accommodating and offered to send me a kit and fitting instructions. I was a bit anxious as I had already planned to visit a local shop to buy the kit as I wanted to support my local gunshop. When I explained this the Roger he agreed entirely with me and told me to give him a call if I got stuck with the fitting.

I was very impressed with him, and when I wanted another kit I did send off to SYSS for it. Great service from a great gunshop.

+1

Old un.I am not in the habbit of telling lies that is what really happened why should i lie i live 150 miles from the shop just nipped in just to see if he had got some powder as running short.

Just wanted a tub to last me till the game fair in sep as my mate is picking up 6 tubes for me.

I have had dealings with them on several occasions and actually once drove up from London to pick up a rifle from them. I agree with you, lovely people.