'Bespoke'

winnie&bezza

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that fake cock-er-ney accent exemplified by that fat knob Mike Brewer in Wheeler Dealers and transposing pronunciations as in "Wills" instead of wheels, "Seals" instead of sills.

And don't get me started on people who use incorrect phrases like "One foul swoop." "Mute point." "Damp squid." "For all intensive purposes." "He was done for driving with undue care and attention."

Gets right on my whip. :lol:

Edited by walshie

I suppose we should be grateful that some people manage to change the meaning and/or use of certain words because it also means that we(as in The English) can create new words

instead of, like the French with 'le hamburger', for instance, having to assimilate anything new from our language. The trouble is that this means it's relatively easy to corrupt the use, spelling and meaning

of a word and (sometimes) still make a sentence make sense.

I know I've said this before ,but if you try and read manuscripts that were written in the 15th and 16th centuries, I am fairly certain that most of us would have difficulty understanding them. Yet, this was written in English!

Our language is changing, like it or not. For better or worse! It's a fact

And yes, it p's me off just as much as most on here have said!

GH

I smiled (well, grimaced) when I read that 's.u.l.f.u.r' is now the accepted spelling for sulphur. Really can't see what was so difficult about the original - especially when there's been no mention of other elements, like fosfer!

Edited by termin8r