First Shooting Day Saturday!

RJD121

Good afternoon PW,

I am going on my first shooting day of this season on Saturday and am really looking forward to it, gear is in the car already!

My question is about what to shoot over.

The land that I have permission on has Peas (not yet cut) / Laid Barley (cut) / Rape (cut)

What would be best to shoot over or is it just a lottery on the day?

All 4 replies are good advice!!

You'll be keen to set up if it's your first day.

Go round the fields and see what's the busiest. Walk or clap birds off and see if after a while they start to return

If they come back then set yourself up close to where they want to feed or under a flight line if you make one out.

Cos

Key to getting yourself the best shooting possible on your ground, reconnaissance and plenty of it. Any chance you can nip over there tomorrow afternoon for a look round?

If there isn't much movement in the morning that doesn't mean you won't get some sport late on in the day.....I went out after an early finish at work today, 3-7.30 and shot 86 (rape stubble).

Thanks for the advice all!

It isn't my first day out ever, just my first day out this year!

I am going to be taking your advice and going to have a look around this evening with some binoculars, see what is around.

I know that if you turn up and there is 3.21 million pigeons in one field and none in the other, then it is pretty obvious, my point was more about do pigeons have a preference on food this time of year?

Going to be setting up at 06:00 / 06:30 ready for a full day out!

Do pigeons have a preference this time of year, NO.

Think you will be lucky to shoot pigeons from 6:00am for the whole day, pigeons tend to-be more active after midday at this time of year, if you start shooting that early you could just put them off for the rest of the day, but if you must then give it a go.