sea fishing on the isle of Arran

2sledge

going to Arran for a few days at the end of the month fancy doing a bit of sea fishing any advice

went last year in the kyack on the west coast of arran for about 4 hrs not a thing

forgot to say i am a complete novice to this sea fishing lark so any advice would be most welcome

thanks in advance

sledge

Okidoki. I had a fair bit of success with simple bait rigs, down tiding. I picked up cod, the odd mackerel and plenty of flatties. I wasn't that successful with sand eels though; squid and mackerel strips seemed way more popular! There's a great facebook page of 'kayak fishing scotland'. sign up there and i'm sure you'll get some more specific advice!

There used to be a boat fishing comp beld at the end of May. I don't know if it's still held. From memory the main area fished was to the South East of the Island. Just beyond Holy island. Perhaps this is a good area to try.

Didn't fish it myself as I preferred to play golf. My Brother and Father did ok.

The main catch was whiting i believe. Didn't see them thougb as the put them under the car to keep them out of the sun while sorting the boat out unfortunately they forgot about them and ran them over as they backed the boat trailer down the lauchnng ramp.

I didn't laugh much..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up sledge. Fished from the rocks just past the ferry wall at Lochranza and caught several sea trout and small pollock. Only fished for a couple of hours but really has a great time but the best bit was not the fishing but seeing the otters and my first ever basking shark