LR Series - lost rear drive

otherwayup

My Series lost drive to rear wheels on Tuesday; drive shaft spinning but no traction. Drove it 1/4 mile home in 4WD, put it away and will look at it at the weekend.

Hopefully it's a halfshaft, but I can't think of any way to work out which side before I start removing and looking. Is there a way?

If it turns out to be the diff., then I need some advice, as it has had a 3.54 FDR 10 spline diff. fitted:-

Haynes suggests special tools to rebuild, so I'm assuming I just get a replacement diff./case asy?

I don't use it off road other than farm tracks/boggy fields, so no need for anything special. Do I just buy a used replacement or should I get a reconditioned asy?

I read mention of imperial and metric types, but is that all internal, and I can just buy a diff. asy with 3.54 FDR, 10 splines and right number of driveshaft flange bolt holes?

Any sources/suggestions where to buy from?

Thanks.

Darren.

I broke loads of halfshafts when I had a s3 if it's broke on the outside end it's easy but if it's broke on the inside it's harder.

One time it damaged the sun and planet gears.

I even broke one I was rolling back slowly and I let the clutch in in first and pop.

Edited by defender

Turned out to be near side halfshaft at the diff. end. Broken end looks a bit worn/ground. I don't want to do work for no reason, but assuming I did manage to get the broken bit out with magnet, shouldn't I really remove diff. to really clean out the particles that must be left inside?

Can I just drain and refill?

Is there a magnet on the drain plug to capture small bits maybe?

When they break they can leave shards of metal behind so its safer to remove the diff and clean out

But if your lucky enough to get the broken end out without removing the diff then id take a chance and hope all the bits are in the bottom of the diff pan and not in the gears !

Drained the old diff oil tonight and as warned it was pretty smelly (smelt bit like gas)

Worrying thing is, the EP90 I bought off tinternet and put in the gearbox last year doesn't smell the same.

Should EP90 smell strongly when new or just when old/used?

Edited by otherwayup

I recently changed the oil in my Defender diffs and new EP80/90 does smell like new oil, not a particularly strong or unpleasant smell.

If you've no idea what was in the diff before, or for how long, I wouldn't worry about it and most people seem to forget to change diff oil so it's a good job done ✅

Drained the old diff oil tonight and as warned it was pretty smelly (smelt bit like gas)

Worrying thing is, the EP90 I bought off tinternet and put in the gearbox last year doesn't smell the same.

Should EP90 smell strongly when new or just when old/used?

'EP' oil stands for 'extreme pressure'. The EP additives are sulphur based, so after a time and as the oil degrades a bit, the sulphur additives form 'rotten egg' gas, hydrogen sulphide. No problem. Oil still works ok - just a bit whiffy!.

• 3 weeks later...