NO PIGEONS ABOUT

mossy835

There are plenty about here .its just that they are wising up .

Also all the shooters in the area seem to be hitting my patch that I've been diligently protecting all year .the farmer just seams to let anybody go and shoot .seen 4 different cars on the land in the last 2 weeks .

Was gonna shoot the fresh cut wheat tomorrow but there is a guy on it today .not a bird to be seen .

I think that's the problem there are too many guns hitting the fields giving the birds a little opportunity to rest up. On my patch on only one field there was a gun on it on Monday then again on Wednesday and Thursday and yet again today! Fields are too quiet for my liking so have decided to head into the woods tomorrow to have a go at what ever fly's over and some squirrels!!!

Edited by eastdevon

It seems the pigeons are so spread out at the moment, with so much to choose from. If you can find a field that the birds REALLY want, that's where some good bags can be made. I expected it to be difficult for me to find a good situation to shoot over this week. My shooting partner and I have searched several thousand acres of various crops this week, only to find small pockets of birds barely worth setting up for. In a few weeks I expect this to be different.

Was sneaking just into Lincolnshire on Thursday hoping for a few shots. Had a look at rape stubble ..zero...barley stubble....zero

went to look at some recent wheat stubble still with round bales and plenty of crows but now running out of time. Saw very few pigeons in the air but where I was there are numerous small woods, copses and they were full ..coo coo cooooooo!!! all around but not feeding.

This is an area which is shot very lightly if at all. Local to me a young lad has had three days in the last two weeks ..70 to 90 a day but again his area is closely monitored and very little if any access from other guns. They are not daft, keep hammering 'em and they'll booger off.

A lot depends on the area you shoot over as well , around our way I would say 80 / 90% of the farms and estates are well into game shooting , in most cases the young game birds have now been delivered and gone straight into the pens so the last thing the keeper want is people shooting the stubbles close to where the pens are or within a sensible distance .

Also there is new land being opened up every time the combine is cutting and if three or four combines are working in a small area then you are talking 100s of acres on a good day .

Take today for instance , like most areas we have had a lot of rain this week with very little combining being done , yesterday it started to dry out and it has been dry and warm today , dinnertime I set up on a wheat field that had one width of the combine cut all around the outside of the field and during the time I was there I had pigeons going backwards and forwards all over the place with some coming into my set up and a lot more going to the many fields they can find food on including the fields that had been pulled up.

Just as I packed at 5 o clock the combine was just pulling into the gateway getting ready to make a start and with a nice pleasant evening I would imagine that field and maybe another will be added to the list of fields available for the pigeons to dine on .

30 odd fields on 3 different permissions and nothing!! All except for 1 cut rape field next to some barley. I called in to the farm to see the if the farmer had seen anything and told him there was nothing except on the rape field adjoining his. Oh he said, you know that's now our field too!!! 😳 In the truck double quick and set up to take 46 pigeons and 8 ferals