Shooting near houses

JRDS

I am helping out a local Poultry keeper who has had a lot of losses recently to Foxes. Been baiting up for a week or so and they are on the bait. My shooting position is around 100 yards behind a row of houses and I am shooting away from the houses into a solid back stop. Don't really want to lamp as I have a Drone on my 204, my question is would you have any issues using a Moderated 204 in those circumstances. I do own an HMR but it has a day scope on it and it is not an ideal calibre for Foxes. My thought are double glazing, telly on and shooting away it shouldn't cause alarm but I just wanted others thoughts. I am perfectly legal as I will be 120 yards or so from the nearest road.

If it was not too late i don't think it should be an issue but it's likely to be very late evening / early morning and you could easily get complaints. Especially so if people have kids and you really don't want the hassle. Swap to the hmr it's great on foxes at sensible ranges.

I'd just get on with the job you've been tasked to do. It's going to be one *crack* noise which breaks the silence of the evening and that's it.

Worst case, someone calls the police, but you've got a licence and you're doing what you're allowed to do. If you're worried, then ring ahead to the police and let them know.

Just in case you're wondering, I used to fox through the night with a .270, which isn't exactly quiet.

Edited by Billy.

I am helping out a local Poultry keeper who has had a lot of losses recently to Foxes. Been baiting up for a week or so and they are on the bait. My shooting position is around 100 yards behind a row of houses and I am shooting away from the houses into a solid back stop. Don't really want to lamp as I have a Drone on my 204, my question is would you have any issues using a Moderated 204 in those circumstances. I do own an HMR but it has a day scope on it and it is not an ideal calibre for Foxes. My thought are double glazing, telly on and shooting away it shouldn't cause alarm but I just wanted others thoughts. I am perfectly legal as I will be 120 yards or so from the nearest road.

You've answered this yourself, 'you're legal'

Shoot them, 120 yards they'll hear nothing, but even if they did, you're not blasting 10 rounds a minute.

Go and do what you need to do.

They probably will not hear it unless they are out having a barbecue. One shot job done. I shoot a couple of places which have properties in fairly close proximity. Never had a problem. I do not agree with this 'requirement' to call the police. Well, it saves us turning out an armed response crew they say. Well if they had a local copper as they used to have HE would know everyone who was shooting on his area and often if off duty would be one of them.

It isn't a requirement to call the police and it never should be. On this occasion I probably would, if nothing else it will save police turning out to nothing.

Someone is bound to see and I know how the call goes "man dressed in camo with sniper rifle is at the back of my house"

Police will still have to attend anyway. As for THE OP, CRACK on with it as others have said

It's highly unlikely that anyone would notice you shooting a Fox. They would be in watching TV or whatever they get up to. Now if you where zeroing and shooting one after the other then you would probably be raising concern for the houses. I've been in the position quite a few times and been asked days after if I was out shooting the other night, they weren't sure if they heard someone shooting.