dress etiquette

ips

Re formal driven game ..

What are peoples thoughts on wearing breeks in a solid colour contrasting with tweed coat / shooting waistcoat as opposed to matching tweed breeks and coat. Acceptable or not ??

question refers to shooting and loading

I dont think it'll be noticed. Just how formal a day is it? I've been on quite a few and it seems the norm to wear breeks and a technical jacket/ gillet rather than tweed everything now.

I have two formal days booked plus I load on a private estate which is quite formal. Last season when loading I wore olive green breeks and a green musto keepers jacket as it rained pretty much every time 😞

I was trying to get breeks to match my schoffel waistcoat but the print is now unavailable so its a case of full new suit or mix and match with my olive or oak coloured breeks. Was just interested in what folk thought as in if it was acceptable or will I look like a cheapskate 😁

I had an old beaver houndstooth tweed shooting waistcoat, must have had it over 20 years, been repaired umpteen times, wore that everywhere, over the top of my shirt, or pullover if it was warm, waterproofs if it was raining, with a multitude of different coloured tweed plus fours/breeks, just replaced it with a POW check one, will wear that everywhere again.

you worry to much

I had an old beaver houndstooth tweed shooting waistcoat, must have had it over 20 years, been repaired umpteen times, wore that everywhere, over the top of my shirt, or pullover if it was warm, waterproofs if it was raining, with a multitude of different coloured tweed plus fours/breeks, just replaced it with a POW check one, will wear that everywhere again.

you worry to much

Cheers 😉

Re formal driven game ..

What are peoples thoughts on wearing breeks in a solid colour contrasting with tweed coat / shooting waistcoat as opposed to matching tweed breeks and coat. Acceptable or not ??

question refers to shooting and loading

never worn tweeds in my life..........cream moleskins..garters (gareish)...harliquine socks...shirt and tie....yellow waistcoat...gold buttons....scofel coat...very flat teed cap...(nearly as big as J Dogs).....sovereign studded boots.....take a good pair of leather shoes/boots for end of the day, for dinner..

Edited by ditchman

Aha, I have a small case (think it was a compact camera case) fits on my belt out of sight, its my loaders kit...it has.

Notepad (for peg no etc)

Pen

Plasters (me if he gets my finger)

Parecetomol (me or gun)

Small multi tool (jammed case etc)

Cigar cutter (in case gun needs it)

Small hand cloth (dry stock etc)

Foam ear plugs (if me or gun forget)

👍

never worn tweeds in my life..........cream moleskins..garters (gareish)...harliquine socks...shirt and tie....yellow waistcoat...gold buttons....scofel coat...very flat teed cap...(nearly as big as J Dogs).....sovereign studded boots.....take a good pair of leather shoes/boots for end of the day, for dinner..

Just make sure the evening shoes are at least Loake Pangbourne Brogues... :lol:

ips, i wasn't knocking you at all. Just an observation. Apologies. :)

No need to apologise sir, I did not take it personally I can assure you. 👍

Just make sure the evening shoes are at least Loake Pangbourne Brogues... :lol:

Crocs no good then for after shoot dinner 😁

The thing is nowadays u can buy breeks or waist coats for next to nothing, so no longer exclusive tailor made expensive clothing.

I just treated myself to a new pair at 25 quid and a matching waist coat for 28 quid, my last waist coat could off been 10 plus years old and like the other poster was worn no matter wot else I wore, and often on top of my water proofs (esp if loading) as handy for the big pockets.

Like others have said not that important to have matching tweeds, esp if ur not an employed keeper