difficulty in attracting pigeons

Cantrem ember

Hi all am i the only one who thinks that groups of pigeons sedn a few pigeons out infont of the rest of them to be scout pigeons??? whilst out shooting last week it seemed like id see a few pigeons come infront of a main group. might be being stupid but wondered if anyone thought the same as me.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before and that the idea was pooh poohed!

Yes, in spite of seeing this happen many times, I was ridiculed. I have even seen adult birds diving in to push young ones away to safety when they had fallen for a magnet.

Because things are often very quiet on my perms in Essex, I have to spend hours watching what is going on. I don't have a Go-Pro camera, maybe I should get one.

Yes, in spite of seeing this happen many times, I was ridiculed. I have even seen adult birds diving in to push young ones away to safety when they had fallen for a magnet.

Because things are often very quiet on my perms in Essex, I have to spend hours watching what is going on. I don't have a Go-Pro camera, maybe I should get one.

surely if you have seen this you should have shot the young bird and the adult bird?

but yes im convinced the deploy little tactics like scout birds

Scouts? I do find it hilarious. I don't believe geese or pigeons employ scouts. There are so many questions to answer. How do pigeons relay any information they have gleaned on their scouting missions? What if the scout gets shot? Do they then have to go through some kind of recruitment process to find another? Does every wood have a scout? What about urban birds - do they have a scout for every garden?

I could go on. The whole notion of scouts is truly laughable.

You would be correct with your line of thought if you were on a early morning goose flight on the stubbles or grass,

🤔😂😂😂😂😂

100% Total rubbish .

I've been shooting Inland and Foreshore Geese for over 40 year's First in may it be Morning Evening or Moon flight gets shot as does the second third etc.

Old wife's tale total Mith

Must agree with motty on this one, in 50+ years of shooting pigeons I have never seen what you call scouts, pigeon flight lines approach their chosen field in a string of birds, with more hopefully following and joining the backend of the string, this open string of birds is more obvious during the summer months.

I have also never seen adult birds diving in to push young ones away to safety.

Im not sure they are scouts as such but last week when pigeon shooting near a **** heap (thats where the birds had been feeding the day before) incoming pigeons were almost always preceded by others landing on the heap and acting as look out.

:lol::lol::lol:

Nooooooooo it may seem like that but they had just landed and were looking about. :)

Most times when a bird or two decoy then nothing is when your shooting to close to the wood their flighting from , basically you've blown it up before it's started . As for adult birds pushing or frightening juvenile birds out of the decoys I've not seen that , if you've got juvenile pigeon or even blue rocks committed to coming in they tend to drag everything else in as well .

Maybe there's a market for scout pigeon decoys I'm sure somebody somewhere would be daft enough to buy them , if you read books on pigeon shooting from 60-70 years back people like Richard Arnold wrote about this, Mottys right on this from my experience

you might have something there you know, pc always says he lets the first bird into the decoys land, so it goes off to tell the others its safe to go there that's why he does so well on them

but on a serious note if it was the case not many birds would be shot and pigeons have to be the most shot bird in the country

Edited by yickdaz

I'm always up for a bit of logical, reasoned debate. I am yet to hear anything about how the pigeon scouting system works. Anyone?

As you well know Motty the only " Scouting System " that works is done by the experienced Shooter.

As previously stated NOT by a Pigeon Goose Duck or Deer