Starting with a Cocker Pup.

lee-kinsman

Hi all,

After a few requests of people wanting to see a cocker training series I'm finally ready to start with a Cocker pup. He is 8 weeks old and is a very keen little fella, so here goes and I hope it's useful to someone. We are just starting out with what I believe is the most important task of a gundog building a strong drive for retrieving. As of yet he doesn't know his name and has no trained recall, this is the beginning of the beginning.

Hope you enjoy

Lee

What age will you start working him ?

Do you get your dogs into game early ?

I've seen dogs ready for game at 12months but then some still haven't been ready till the 24/26 months.

His mum was working at a 14months, we'll see how he goes. It bodes well that he's a keen retriever and is happy to share his retrieve, especially being a cocker. I've seen a few that like to run off with retrieves and it can take a bit of time to get them out of that habit.

My bitch was beating at 16 months.

I find it hard to believe when i hear about cockers that wont retrieve as mine always retrieved anything and everything regardless of if you want it retrieving 😁 but I have only had one so have no experience of such things 👍

• 2 weeks later...