best cheap 4x4

ips

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crv they are really cheap and loads of good ones bout as they have been family cars, never seen the mud

Maybe (i have one.) but on slippy stuff better than my hilux but the wheel travel and ground clearance is not great and the gearbox / body clearance is too small. Gets jammed up with mud. Ok for gateways.

Do you really need a 4x4? A van or cheap car with off road tyres works ok.?

Maybe (i have one.) but on slippy stuff better than my hilux but the wheel travel and ground clearance is not great and the gearbox / body clearance is too small. Gets jammed up with mud. Ok for gateways.

Do you really need a 4x4? A van or cheap car with off road tyres works ok.?

Good point. I have a 65 plate Citroen berlingo multispace with all rear seats out, donuts on back springs and M&S tyres, I haven't been stuck since putting the M&S tyres on and its a great vehicle but gets mucked up with the dog and wet gear and muddy terrain. Nearly got a freelander last year petrol ones are cheap as chips but was put off by bad reviews and stuff.

It depends on wot ur after and how much u really need a 4x4.

I'd second the old van idea, its amazing how cheap some small vans are to buy and cheap to run and fix.

Unlike most 4x4's

It wasn't that long ago that farmers and keepers didn't all have 4x4's and had to use 2wd drive vans cars to get about, I'm not that old and can mind trying to feed/water pheasants wit a 2wd fiesta and maestro vans. Takes a bit more skill driving and bottle sometimes, thinking about where ur going and how u get out before u do.

Really when it comes to 2nd 4x4's the individual vehicle is more important than the make/model has it had a hard life etc, and pure blind luck.

Bought a crv, not intentionally, but did 04 plate , full service history, very tidy car , 96,000 on the clock = £1000, fitted grabber at2 tyres, for a soft roader you will be surprised where it can go, nice to drive on the road too , not a sign of rust ,flew through mot, bargain cars

I keep toying with the idea of a second vehicle purely for chucking the dog in and for shoot days.

What is a good cheap reliable 4x4 that will get me out of muddy terrain ??

My advice would be just have a good look around and see what is for sale in your area I tend to think most 4x4 or soft roaders are ok for going over fields etc just put a decent set of AT tyres on it just look for something at the rite price with little rust and drives ok if you go out looking for a certain make/model you could end up buying a pile of junk.

Just put 4x4 in to Auto trader with say 40miles max from where you live and see what comes up there is always someone wanting to get rid of there dads old car you may get a good low mile one for a good price.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

My advice would be just have a good look around and see what is for sale in your area I tend to think most 4x4 or soft roaders are ok for going over fields etc just put a decent set of AT tyres on it just look for something at the rite price with little rust and drives ok if you go out looking for a certain make/model you could end up buying a pile of junk.

Just put 4x4 in to Auto trader with say 40miles max from where you live and see what comes up there is always someone wanting to get rid of there dads old car you may get a good low mile one for a good price.

So open minded then ??

So open minded then ??

The way that I see it almost any car/truck will or can get stuck in the mud land rovers are heavy so tend to sink in the mud some soft roaders with good tyres are good simply because they are light so do not sink so much if all that you want is a something to get you out of the mud a Suzuki Jimny with good mud tyres is your best option if you can find a good rust free one.

Good point. I have a 65 plate Citroen berlingo multispace with all rear seats out, donuts on back springs and M&S tyres, I haven't been stuck since putting the M&S tyres on and its a great vehicle but gets mucked up with the dog and wet gear and muddy terrain. Nearly got a freelander last year petrol ones are cheap as chips but was put off by bad reviews and stuff.

Going back a long way ..early 70s I had a Citroen 1220 estate FWD and I took that places that would almost frighten a Land Rover ... you could raise the suspension about 5 inches. Don't know if that is still available with modern Citroens. Remember a Mini driver following me into a ford up in the Welsh hills and he obviously didn't know I had raised the suspension. I was a gentleman and stopped and towed him out :yes::lol:

I think a front drive van with some chunky tyres would do the job.

Going back a long way ..early 70s I had a Citroen 1220 estate FWD and I took that places that would almost frighten a Land Rover ... you could raise the suspension about 5 inches. Don't know if that is still available with modern Citroens. Remember a Mini driver following me into a ford up in the Welsh hills and he obviously didn't know I had raised the suspension. I was a gentleman and stopped and towed him out :yes::lol:

I think a front drive van with some chunky tyres would do the job.

Well that's what I currently have so maybe I cant really improve on it 😞

I remember those air suspension jobs 👍

I will stick with my 1999 vitara with 93/500 on the clock never let me down, cheap to buy too. mind you you would think I was leaving home with all the pigeon gear in the back.

I like the grand vitara. Aren't they proper 4x4 not one of these on demand jobs 👍