Rav4 Cam belt

Oldgun

Hi Gents,

Bought her indoors a Rav4 last year,petrol auto 0454 only done 17,000 miles,yes i know, but had full history.

After the MOT this year passed with advisory on tyres,starting to perish.So if the rubber on the tyres is starting to perish

what about the cam belt?.Does anyone out there have any experience or knowledge of this type of problem?.

The car has not done any serious work and has very few miles on the clock,so what do you think?

Expensive cam belt or will it last a few more years?

Need to spend on shooting not cars!!! :hmm: :hmm:

atb

Oldgun

A lot of cars differ on belt change duration! My Laguna is every 5 years or 70.000 iirc. I used to do mine every 3 years as a matter of course! But the Laguna was going to be a pain so I paid to have it done! £270 lighter but hey ho.

Tyres perish due to road salts, heat etc! Happens to all tyres eventually. But kerbing, low pressures etc can exacerbate the problem.

Edited by Lord Geordie

We had a rav 4 for years got it with 8 thousand on it. If I remember rightly we changed it at 25 thousand but itI had only done 2 thousand when it snapped luckily we had just started the engine when it stopped no damage done it woud have been a diffrent story if we was doing 60 to 70 For got to say it was then the old p reg look in the hand book or look on line it shoudent cost a furtune to change it

Don't be fooled! The chains still stretch, wear and snap! They still need changing! I had a few go in my time!

I know what you're saying LG, my own opinion is that if it's a chain it shouldn't be a service item and it should never need changing. Serviced properly from day one with correct spec oil every 10k miles should see it through to the end. I believe problems start when these extended service intervals like 24k between changes happen. It's just asking too much, but then again some engines are built to a budget!