FLO Dosent Need To Inspect New Cabinet?

godzilla

I've just called my FLO to have them come out to look at a cabinet in my new house (next to old house) the nice lady at North Yorks Fire arms said that they don't need to come out and inspect and that it's up to me to make sure it's right enough.

Seems odd, and a bit slack, has anyone had this before?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just called my FLO to have them come out to look at a cabinet in my new house (next to old house) the nice lady at North Yorks Fire arms said that they don't need to come out and inspect and that it's up to me to make sure it's right enough.

Totally agree, i think its slack until the **** hits the fan, the same as interviews for renewals over the phone.

One lady at West Yorkshire told me the same. That they'd come out at renewal.

Then another completely contradicted that and said they must inspect it before I put my gun in.

Just send in a change of address and see what happens.

Never had one looked at. Always the same questions though "Is it attached to an exterior wall – did you fit with rawl bolts – is it visible to visitors" answer yes, yes, no to those three and I've been good to go. Which makes sense, they have better things to do than ensure YOU are taking the necessary precautions to protect YOUR property and security.

Exactly.

If one is deemed suitable and responsible enough to be granted a certificate, I see no reason why one should not be trusted to install a cabinet correctly.

Plenty of people have driving licence but then continue to drive untaxed and uninsured cars.FEO's are using the 'responsibility of the holder' to be complacent.

Do you also want them to come round and check that you've put the rifle or shotgun away in the cabinet every time you use it too? I'd say it's a question of priorities and sensible use of limited resources. If you lack the commonsense to fit a cabinet securely, or employ someone else to perform the task in a satisfactory way perhaps it's best not to own a firearm in the first place. You FLO assumes that you do have the necessary acumen to do this and so is happy to take your word for it. All good (and a sensible use of resources).

I'm not saying you haven't the commonsense to locate and mount a cabinet correctly, let's face it it's not the most challenging of tasks, but rather your FEO or FLO likely has better things to do than checking you, and everyone else, has done this rudimentary task correctly.

OK let's wait for the next killing/incident.Then when it's made public that we are having verbal renewals/inspections over the phone it will all go tits up AGAIN.

Isn't that a bit OTT?! In all the years I've been shooting I can't recall any FEO ever giving my cabinets a good rattle to see if they were fixed to the wall. I can recall them asking, but never physically checking.

In all the years I owned handguns I never once received a visit to ensure I even had a cabinet, let alone if it was fixed to a wall!

As others have said; if we can't be trusted to fix a cabinet to the wall then how on earth can we be trusted with firearms? It is the firearms owners responsibility to ensure the security of their own firearms.

When I moved my cabinet from one room to another West Mid's/ Staff's came around and inspected it again. Took them a couple of months to do it, and it was an officer from their Firearms unit who knew ******-all about licensed guns :rolleyes: but it still had to be inspected.

Edited by Graham M

Do you also want them to come round and check that you've put the rifle or shotgun away in the cabinet every time you use it too? I'd say it's a question of priorities and sensible use of limited resources. If you lack the commonsense to fit a cabinet securely, or employ someone else to perform the task in a satisfactory way perhaps it's best not to own a firearm in the first place. You FLO assumes that you do have the necessary acumen to do this and so is happy to take your word for it. All good (and a sensible use of resources).

I'm not saying you haven't the commonsense to locate and mount a cabinet correctly, let's face it it's not the most challenging of tasks, but rather your FEO or FLO likely has better things to do than checking you, and everyone else, has done this rudimentary task correctly.

Perfect response, my thoughts exactly Edited by Tford

Sorry but ours like to be called FEO.I think it's say 'carry out personal vists as part of the application process' I can't see where it's says 'personal phone call'

Firearms Enquiry Officer

A Firearms Enquiry Officer (FEO) is a civilianmember of most police forces in the United Kingdom, who is responsible for investigation issues related to firearms, to make sure they are in compliance with United Kingdom gun laws.

FEOs carry out personal visits to applicants' homes as part of the application process for firearms or shotgun licence, or explosives certificate, to ensure that they meet the legal requirements as to secure storage of the weapons or explosives. They also carry out background checks on applicants for firearms licenses[1] to ensure that the applicant has no previous record of firearms-related crimes or history of mental instability. They also perform similar checks when licences are renewed, to reassess licensees.

FEOs also make visits to the homes of licensed firearm owners and shooting clubs to assess the security that the firearms are kept in; if this is not up to standard the licence may be put in jeopardy. (However, other than as above, such visits are strictly ultra vires and therefore, under Law, a Certificate Holder has no need to comply with such visits.)

FEOs are full-time members of staff employed by the specific Police Force that they work for, and usually part of an enquiry team, though in smaller stations they may work on their own. They work closely with Authorised Firearms

Edited by Davyo