"Hot Hatch" as Only Car for Shooters?

neutron619

It's a slow afternoon at work, so I though I'd pose a semi-theoretical question:

What are the pros / cons of owning a "hot hatch" as a shooter?

The background is that I currently own a small car, lovingly - but disparagingly - referred to as "the rollerskate" by myself and my shooting buddies. I drive said car to work and if I set out for the office at about 7:30am on Monday, I usually hit 70mph at some point around Wednesday afternoon. It does the job, but it's extremely limiting to drive, uncomfortable for passengers and too small to fit an unbroken shotgun in the boot.

Currently, there isn't much money to replace it, but I'm hoping there will be 12-18 months down the line. I could then go for the 10 year-old Porsche, but whilst that would make the drive to work pretty fun, maintenance and insurance would be high and I do need to be able to rely on it starting properly, every morning, so a younger car - maybe 2-4 years - would be better. Enter the hot hatch.

I believe I'm not a petrolhead. I don't want to buy a car to take to a race track and whilst I'm occasionally guilty of stretching the speed limit, I'm not suddenly going to start driving everywhere at 100mph just because I have a sporty car. (I used to own an "exec" car which was quite capable of 130mph+, but never felt the need / urge.)

What I do want is something that "gets there" reasonably quickly. I detest having my life wasted by Mrs Goggins doing 35mph along straight, wide, empty 60mph roads, because she's too scared to press the accelerator pedal on the enormous Mercedes her husband left her when he died. Don't get me wrong - on windy roads with blind corners in heavy fog and rain, I'm huddled right in there behind her - appropriate braking distances notwithstanding - doing 35mph and being just as cautious as she is. The rest of the time, I want to get out, round and in again without worrying whether I'm going to run out of space before the truck I can see ½ a mile ahead makes my "rollerskate" a new feature of its radiator.

So, I've been amusing myself looking at various makes / models of "quick-accelerating but practical" cars. Seat Leon Cupra, Renaultsport Megane, etc. I read the reviews and see phrases like "impressive handling" and "amazing wet grip", "mid-range power" and "stylish spoiler" and it's all much of a muchness. Then I found a review of the Astra VXR which describe the car as "slightly beserk" and I think to myself, "that's probably the one for me". (It helps that they're cheaper than all the others and I've got a good Vauxhall garage down the road who treat my wife and her car well.)

So that's what I think I'd like. Feel free to try and talk me out of it and into something else. The question is, is it practical?

Most of my shooting land requires parking on the side of a road / in a lay-by. There's not a lot of off-road driving involved. I think I can get a shotgun in the boot of a VXR and at least two child seats in the back - if I had to. That's my Mrs' only stipulation, assuming we can afford it one day.

The only thing I'm really worried about is someone taking an interest in it whilst I'm half a mile away shooting. I suppose that's what insurance is for, but it would presumably draw attention. Is there anything else, practicalities-wise, that I'm forgetting?

If anyone can share any experiences of the VXR, owning / driving hot hatches in general and how they've worked or not worked with a shooting hobby, I'd appreciate hearing them. I don't think I can justify running two cars, one for shooting and one for work - and most of my miles are motorway miles - so I've got to give that type of driving priority. I'd also rather give up on the idea of owning one of these "hot hatches", if it isn't going to be practical, before I end up test-driving one and falling in love with it!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can offer.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2005 Subaru Forester XT Turbo.

WRX engine. Remapped on the Power Boost button.

Bought new and when I was offered £583 on trade in for a new 2017 Forester XT, I kept it as a shooting truck.

Great cars.

(Quiet at work here too...!!)

Edited by Eyefor

Hot hatch - lowered suspension - I see a problem going down some of the roads to a shoot.

Whilst I'm occasionally guilty of stretching the speed limit

Get the VXR and put a sign on top to attract extra attention - perhaps even from your FEO.

You are jumping from one extreme to another - the question is why? A 2.0 diesel Astra would probably travel far more quickly than the capabilities of 90% of drivers. If you have the urge to travel quickly - occasionally stretching the speed limit - let me know and I will stay out of your way.

I see boy racers almost every day, in quickish cars, without a clue. They amuse me with their lack of ability, but I do worry about some poor sod they run into.

You are jumping from one extreme to another - the question is why? A 2.0 diesel Astra would probably travel far more quickly than the capabilities of 90% of drivers. If you have the urge to travel quickly - occasionally stretching the speed limit - let me know and I will stay out of your way.

I see boy racers almost every day, in quickish cars, without a clue. They amuse me with their lack of ability, but I do worry about some poor sod they run into.

As it happens, the "exec" car I used to own was a 2.0 diesel Insignia, which has the same engine as the Astra you mentioned. It was very pleasant to drive, although it became impractical for various reasons related to the carriage of children.

I am also amused and, equally, regularly appalled by "boy racers", so we have that in common. What we do not have in common is an instinct to patronize before determining whether it is justified. I would be very happy for you to stay out of my way, if that is what you would like to do.

I shoot in a renaultsport megane. It's fine, may accelerate suspension wear but that's it.

Thank you - this is the kind of useful anecdote I was looking for.

2005 Subaru Forester XT Turbo.

WRX engine. Remapped on the Power Boost button.

Bought new and when I was offered £583 on trade in for a new 2017 Forester XT, I kept it as a shooting truck.

Great cars.

(Quiet at work here too...!!)

I'm going to have to look this one up. I will go and do some digging - anything to fill the time before 4pm! :)

Edited by neutron619

A friend had an Astra VXR. It needed two gearboxes in 40,000 miles. He isn't a boy racer type driver.

There seems to be an issue with higher power/torque engines damaging the gearbox.

Having said that, they don't all break and they aren't horrendously expensive to fix if you have a friendly local garage.

A friend had an Astra VXR. It needed two gearboxes in 40,000 miles. He isn't a boy racer type driver.

There seems to be an issue with higher power/torque engines damaging the gearbox.

Having said that, they don't all break and they aren't horrendously expensive to fix if you have a friendly local garage.

Thank you - I've read lots and lots about this and torque does appear to be an issue with the high-power, FWD engines generally as you say. Not least for the steering, where they can only correct un-even distribution across the axles to a certain extent. Mind you - if you pushed the Insignia hard in 3rd I could get a bit of torque steer and my more-knowledgeable friends tell me that it's a "solved problem", so as far as that goes, no worries. Do you know if the need for new gearboxes was down to construction / design fault or just pushing the car too hard, too often?

I'm prepared to look again at the Renaultsport Megane if I have to, though the language always seemed a little more genteel when I've read reviews etc. I don't want to go test driving anything until I'm in a position to actually buy something though - nothing worse than being chased by car salesman for 6 months after merely glancing carelessly at something on the way out of the garage after a service!

Edited by neutron619

Hot hatches are great fun but practical family cars for a regular commute they are not. The stiff suspension gets on your nerves after a while, the fact you have to rev the ******** off it to get decent performance means you hardly ever use the full power, your non-petrol head mates look at you and think "bit of a ****" and VXR resale values are pretty poor. Shooting practicalities it will be the same as any Astra but could attract more attention.

Dont get me wrong i love cars and driving fast, i have scratched the hot hatch itch a couple of times and almost instantly regretted it. Powerful 4 door diesel for me all the way now, current car is a 210ps mondeo which sounds boring but does 0-60 in less than 8 seconds, still pulls away hard at motorway speeds and on the country lanes still puts a big smile on my face and on occasion a nugget in my pants when i have gone in to a bend a bit quick but come out unscathed the other side.

Just remember that with more fun and bigger engine comes larger fuel bills,At the moment because i work a few miles from home i drive a suzuki swift 1.3 diesel, it accelerates pretty quick because of the torque will easily trundle along at the legal speed limit, and the rear seats fold forward for that shooting trip with me and the dog.

The + side is even driving it like i stole it i get 56mpg or on a long run a knacker under 60mpg, There is a 1.5 model, the 1.3 makes me smile,just think what the 1.5 would do. and i look just like a boy racer with the chequered decals on it lol.

Just remember that with more fun and bigger engine comes larger fuel bills

Aye - definitely a consideration. I suspect that, if I'm ever in the position to buy something "exciting", I'll probably be in the position to pay for the fuel, but if not, I'm not going to bankrupt myself trying. I could certainly, happily, fall back to something like another 2.0 diesel if the money isn't there. I always enjoyed driving my Insignia, after all.

In case it makes the tender-hearted of you feel better about whether I'm a maniac or at least reasonably-sensible with a zest for life (which I find is really quite helpful when driving a 1½ ton death machine, since it tends to preserve one and others alike), my other car - driven most by my wife, to be fair - is a Zafira 1.4, which is about as exciting as trying to push a wet flannel along the tarmac using a wooden spoon. For example, it moans at me that I should be in 6th - 6th! - gear at 43mph, and I sit there wondering whether that was what Vauxhall intended or just a fault in the engine management computer. Still - it's hardly a racing car, so you can take that as evidence that boring practicality will trump excitement every time there's £10k to spend. If there's £10-15k going spare however...

I use a VW Golf GTI MK5 5 door. Its practical and a hoot when I want it to be. Carries passangers with ease and a decent boot too. Cant complain, and the wife doesnt either and she drives it more than me!

They hold their value better too, I think. Is it this one?

http://www.parkers.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/gti-2005/owner-reviews/

Regarding the gearbox issues. I assumed it was simply that the gearbox design was an old one that hasn't been beefed-up as the power was increased. This may not be the case though

I've had a few FWD Vauxhalls and never had a gearbox problem that couldn't be solved with a gearbox oil change.

Don't do it. Save the cash and fuel for ammo and shooting.

I had a VX (220 turbo) and used to drive to wales and back on a fri night just for the thrill. After very nearly getting caught at over twice the limit, gave it up for peace of mind. I think the car you drive has a big impact on the way that we see the world and those around us. Change the car to a truck for example and it no longer matters that a slower driver is in front.

I now drive a Hilux its barely big enough for two with gear at times. Even with a Golf I wonder where you would put that tray of pigeons or those two roe deer you might shoot?

I think you have cornered the market on patronising. I found your original post rather juvenile, but let the rather silly content pass me by.

Perhaps we should take a poll? Perhaps I was setting a scene? Perhaps I just don't care? It is your right to take what I say in any way you choose. I'm easy.

Regarding the gearbox issues. I assumed it was simply that the gearbox design was an old one that hasn't been beefed-up as the power was increased. This may not be the case though

I've had a few FWD Vauxhalls and never had a gearbox problem that couldn't be solved with a gearbox oil change.

Thanks - what I've just been reading in the last few minutes suggests that these are issues with the oil not being changed enough, overheating and melting something or other. I assume that getting the car dealer-serviced will sort it. I get the impression that quite a lot of people - much to my initial surprise - neglect the basics of replacing fluids, checking tyre treads and wipers etc. Probably the same folk who laugh when you say things like "would it be worth having a driving lesson in your new car?" which, whilst most people don't, would probably be quite a good thing. Certainly the chap who taught me the advanced driving course was keen on that - though he of course had an interest in repeat business.

Agreed. People change the engine oil to the book, but totally forget gearbox oil.

Perhaps we should take a poll? Perhaps I was setting a scene? Perhaps I just don't care? It is your right to take what I say in any way you choose. I'm easy.

Perhaps you should grow up and just let it pass.

Perhaps you should grow up and just let it pass.

I think - and I'm still happy for you to disagree with me on this point if you feel you need to - that when I said "I'm easy", I was indicating the capacity to disagree with you and be OK with (i.e. not threatened by) that.

The mark of a grown up, I think.

Oh - and it's 4pm. Thanks chaps. Will be back later to see if there's anything else.

The mark of a grown up, I think.

I think not, but will let it go.

PS - I am impressed by your many examples of poor drivers. It seems to omit the one with a VXR, who thinks the law doesn't apply to him and thinks he can drive, but can't.

golf gti mk5.....been driving them 9 years..you will not find a better all rounder

Not a bad choice. :good:

I've had a few, focus st's, a fiesta st, polo and golf gti's. Always managed to do what I wanted to with them. Even had some rally tyres on one of my polo' s for the bad winter weather and gravel tracks I used to frequent :lol: I did find you can get 2 12 foot carp rods in 2 pieces, net, box, bag and Brolly in the polo and have the Mrs in aswell :lol: 😁

I've got a hot hatch if that's the right term for it. (bmw m140i) and my gun doesn't fit in the boot. It wouldn't get down any lanes (even the track to doveridge clay ground has to be taken slow.) But it's great fun, it's not ideal for most type of shooting but then neither would and exeç saloon or similar.

I think not, but will let it go.

PS - I am impressed by your many examples of poor drivers. It seems to omit the one with a VXR, who thinks the law doesn't apply to him and thinks he can drive, but can't.

All right, I'll bite. Who that you cared about got killed and gave you such a chip on your shoulder about this? It seems that every time there's a motoring thread like this, you turn up and start pontificating about driving skills, speed limits and generally try to turn it away from whatever question was asked in good faith to "let's bash the chap who wants to buy an exciting car".

I'm afraid I don't know anyone who drives a VXR, hence the original question, and I'm afraid I don't know anyone who thinks the law doesn't apply. Enlighten us? I'll warrant though, that, VXR driver or not, nobody has ever managed to observe all traffic laws, statutes and recommendations as given in the highway code, all of the time, and not have been the cause of, or otherwise involved in an accident. Real world driving requires more than slavish adherence to rules as you are, if you're any kind of driver / cyclist / pedestrian yourself, aware. There are countless examples of this, which I'll be happy to illustrate using our imaginary VXR driver or Mrs Goggins, as you choose, for your unbounded entertainment.

I'd rather we just left it though.

I've had a few, focus st's, a fiesta st, polo and golf gti's. Always managed to do what I wanted to with them. Even had some rally tyres on one of my polo' s for the bad winter weather and gravel tracks I used to frequent :lol: I did find you can get 2 12 foot carp rods in 2 pieces, net, box, bag and Brolly in the polo and have the Mrs in aswell :lol:

Several mentions of these now - even from our mate Gordon. I'll look them up properly. Thanks.

The contributions of anyone who can contribute answers to the original question, rather than waste my time with pointless arguments that satisfy nobody, remain very welcome.