Tips for shooting in large fields

Beagle boy

Hay guys hope your all well.

I've dropped on with some new permission, shame I didn't get it when the rape was harvested but there is still the wheat he started yesterday.

I watched it last night this morning and this evening. There is one steady flight line but they seem to drop from anywhere and everywhere so to some degree it will be trail and error.

The field is about 90 acre which is one of the smaller ones oddly, I've never shot in such large fields before so have you guys got any tips for shooting in large fields and how to bring them in better. I was thinking about using two whirlys to get the movement just so my decoys will be seen, but then is it over doing it?

Cheers rob

sounds exciting having a new perm. i think plenty of movement is key when you are in a big field especailly when u cant get to where they are feeding. if u have a sitty tree put some lofters up, perhaps one whirly and if u got a flapper i find putting it upwind of the decoys work well but u will soon see if they are spooking. trial and error and plenty of recon. i have also found that if the field is cut putting hide out in the field is good because you get 360 degrees of shooting but make sure its under flightline. no matter what a day in a hide with the gun is better than a day at work. good luck

always go on/near flightline.Look to see where the pigeons are landing & then best position depends on natural cover/wind direction but flightline key. 2 whirlies.....don't see why not would keep em a fair bit apart/..personally only ever use 1 + a flapper(great bit of new kit)!.......if wheat has come off cradled/kebab sticked birds/ static decoys/shells........and crack on.don't be afraid to move...90 acre is pretty large field(in my terms it is anyhow) so lots of movement a good thing...

Even on large fields the birds can tend to have favoured areas, perhaps near to trees, shelter from the wind, etc.

Observation will help find those areas, but as has already been suggested, a layout with plenty of movement will certainly help channel the birds to you.

Good luck, new permission is always an adventure.