Travellers have ignored the law for too long

Flashman

Travellers - not what they use to be.

As a child I remember the local farmers preparing laybys for the influx of seasonal pickers and there associated caravan convoys.

Now they just pull up on paying fields/parks- install a few shonky drive ways, butcher a few trees then abruptly **** off.

They actually do awesome driveways round here and as much as I don't want to use them I have contacted 4 "non traveller" companies and only 3 have bothered to quote despite them all coming round, the ones who quoted don't seem to have it in them to maintain contact or give me a reliable start date for the job despite me not even trying to barter with their quotes, its been a month now! If I called our local traveller type people they would beat the others quotes, start within a week and have the job finished in 3-4 days (they did next doors last year and did a cracking job). People in this country are just to idle and disinterested to get off their backsides and earn money any longer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They actually do awesome driveways round here and as much as I don't want to use them I have contacted 4 "non traveller" companies and only 3 have bothered to quote despite them all coming round, the ones who quoted don't seem to have it in them to maintain contact or give me a reliable start date for the job despite me not even trying to barter with their quotes, its been a month now! If I called our local traveller type people they would beat the others quotes, start within a week and have the job finished in 3-4 days (they did next doors last year and did a cracking job). People in this country are just to idle and disinterested to get off their backsides and earn money any longer

I understand (I think) your point, but at the end of the day many of these 'traveller' companies are parasites.

Their prices may be 'competitive', but so they should be - most don't pay any tax and it is all cash in hand.

From my point of view I would never, ever employ any travellers. As for doing a good job - did you bother to read the press last week when one traveller family employed slave labour and kept the poor souls in squalid conditions ( to put it mildly). They were all jailed, and if it was left to me and many others they would never be released to infect our standards of civilised living.

There are lots of press releases referring to the police refusing to enter travellers camps to pursue some parasites - it is just a complete and utter waste of their time and our taxpayers cash.

In an early life I used to move them on from sites in the Black Country :unhappy: I have been threatened with all sorts including kids with a chain saw. Difficult to do much with them as often they would move over the border into another authority area and then back again a few weeks later. It was not possible to prove they were the same ones of course. Rarely enforced action other than moving as the kids would need care and the cost would be huge.

I recall two incidents one of a unit in Cradley being used as a toilet for a few weeks and costing me over £5k to have it cleaned. The second was a gypsy cremation on the site of the now Town Hall at Oldbury. Removing the burnt out caravan and clearance was another few £1000's.

My daughters a police officer she was driving past the official gypsy camp. a motorist flagged her down he said he's had his car kicked .There we're about 12 gypsys drinking cans motorist pointed one of them as the car kicker.Daughter collard the guy after a confrontation he admitted he was the culprit .All his mates were very verbal.She went back to the motorist who said he didn't want to press charges. Dipper.

The second was a gypsy cremation on the site of the now Town Hall at Oldbury. Removing the burnt out caravan and clearance was another few £1000's.

Some traditions should only be encouraged. Though adding in other traditions such as suttee should not be sneezed at either (best stick upwind) Maybe even expand the ritual so that the sons & daughters can join in.

Given the levels of idiocy they display on the tv shows they "star" in, nothing would surprise me about them, apart from a completed Income Tax form & valid road tax/insurance/

I understand (I think) your point, but at the end of the day many of these 'traveller' companies are parasites.

Their prices may be 'competitive', but so they should be - most don't pay any tax and it is all cash in hand.

From my point of view I would never, ever employ any travellers. As for doing a good job - did you bother to read the press last week when one traveller family employed slave labour and kept the poor souls in squalid conditions ( to put it mildly). They were all jailed, and if it was left to me and many others they would never be released to infect our standards of civilised living.

There are lots of press releases referring to the police refusing to enter travellers camps to pursue some parasites - it is just a complete and utter waste of their time and our taxpayers cash.

I'm trying to avoid using them for those very reasons but I'm getting desperate to get my driveway done now!

Time was when youths were not allowed to carry 'switches' ( short horse whips ) which were often used to flick at visitors and locals; now they are allowed to carry them again even when they have no pony. To you and me that's an offensive weapon.

They drive around town with no seat belts whilst on their phones in clear view of the police, who simply wave them on to keep the traffic moving, and traffic wardens are nowhere to be seen.

It would be hilarious if it weren't so annoying.

The joys of Appleby.. :)

Not so long ago there was a program on TV about them, running deer with dogs, child abuse, poaching, all on camera yet nothing done about it... :rolleyes:

Tresspass = criminal offence ,no fixed abode to pay fines =jail time simples.You want to live outside the law and not pay tax therefore you have no protection by the law imho .Stop the rascism rubbish too many councils cleaning up human droppings and tons of rubbish its not rascism its parasitical living off the backs of us the working tax payers

The family in the slavery case are something else....had dealing with them in the past. When they moved near the area alot of other families moved out, then they moved to a site in the area they kicked every other family off as the won't share a site with others. The site where alot of the "slaves" were kept is actually owned now by the family. The electric was found to be coming from a street light on the side of the road ( i actually drove past as someone was digging next to the lamp post) and they have been busted before for a cannabis farm on site (sussed out when they had a building catch fire...........caused by dodgy electrics of all things)

I used to work in a business theat dealt with travellers all the time and have met and dealt with some lovely people, ok slightly dishonest some of them, but if they gave you their word it was written in stone. Not the family in question, try to rule with a rod of iron and stamp on anyone they feel fit to do so to. I'm glad things have caught up with them and am sooooo glad i don't have to share a cell with any of them as some poor bloke will no doubt have to

The family in the slavery case are something else....had dealing with them in the past. When they moved near the area alot of other families moved out, then they moved to a site in the area they kicked every other family off as the won't share a site with others. The site where alot of the "slaves" were kept is actually owned now by the family. The electric was found to be coming from a street light on the side of the road ( i actually drove past as someone was digging next to the lamp post) and they have been busted before for a cannabis farm on site (sussed out when they had a building catch fire...........caused by dodgy electrics of all things)

I used to work in a business theat dealt with travellers all the time and have met and dealt with some lovely people, ok slightly dishonest some of them, but if they gave you their word it was written in stone. Not the family in question, try to rule with a rod of iron and stamp on anyone they feel fit to do so to. I'm glad things have caught up with them and am sooooo glad i don't have to share a cell with any of them as some poor bloke will no doubt have to

No he/they will claim a religious/racial fact that will keep them all together while in custody, seen it first hand and they will then start giving staff a hard time regarding "their rights" as to why they cannot work, go to education etc.

The reason they are here is that they can earn a living.......stop giving them money, no matter what a good deal it sounds.

No money, no travellers......simple.

No its not simple.

Can you tell a traveller just by looking at him?

Many nowadays lose the accent, or employ a front man who looks and sounds respectable.

They have new professional looking vans with 0800 numbers on the side, indeed some of them are pretty good at what they do.

A lot are outright criminals, who use their legit business as a front for casing places for theft.

I know of one family who ,up until recently did a nice sideline in extortion.

In an early life I used to move them on from sites in the Black Country :unhappy: I have been threatened with all sorts including kids with a chain saw. Difficult to do much with them as often they would move over the border into another authority area and then back again a few weeks later. It was not possible to prove they were the same ones of course. Rarely enforced action other than moving as the kids would need care and the cost would be huge.

I recall two incidents one of a unit in Cradley being used as a toilet for a few weeks and costing me over £5k to have it cleaned. The second was a gypsy cremation on the site of the now Town Hall at Oldbury. Removing the burnt out caravan and clearance was another few £1000's.

In West Yorks we used to remove /confiscate their horses in early morning raids. Horseboxes with no number plates and armed police were needed,,,but it certainly got their attention regarding moving on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully when they cannot hide behind the European Bill of Human Rights our police and courts can properly protect us!

Brexit should ultimately provide the way, but there needs to be the will as well. Unfortunately we have had twenty years of PC liberal indoctrination in our police and judiciary. Those that have risen to the top have mostly not done so on the merits of being good at their jobs, rather at ticking all the boxes politically. Brexit was but one battle won. The liberal agenda is still advancing.

Edited by TriBsa

• 2 weeks later...

Chief Constable Simon Bailey, whose force is reviewing its response to the disorder, said members of a group of 100 men, women and children had "caused anger and harm". He said: "There were a number of incidences of theft, of anti-social behaviour, of criminal damage and we misjudged our message, and I'm sorry that we got that message wrong.

"We got it wrong, we'll learn the lessons. It won't happen again. "Part of our review will look at our media messages. I'm genuinely sorry that we created the impression that this was a low-level disorder. "We had a rape which, whilst at the time we didn't connect to the group, we are now absolutely connecting." His apology was met with applause by some of those in the hall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-41179784

Chief Constable Simon Bailey, whose force is reviewing its response to the disorder, said members of a group of 100 men, women and children had "caused anger and harm". He said: "There were a number of incidences of theft, of anti-social behaviour, of criminal damage and we misjudged our message, and I'm sorry that we got that message wrong.

"We got it wrong, we'll learn the lessons. It won't happen again. "Part of our review will look at our media messages. I'm genuinely sorry that we created the impression that this was a low-level disorder. "We had a rape which, whilst at the time we didn't connect to the group, we are now absolutely connecting." His apology was met with applause by some of those in the hall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-41179784

I saw his interview.... pathetic! He should resign, after that free for all the travellers will most defiantly be going back next year.

I saw his interview.... pathetic! He should resign, after that free for all the travellers will most defiantly be going back next year.

Of course they will ,if the police and local government pussy foot around them, why should they not ?

Too worried about 'offending' them, whilst the local people, who have to live and work there, are completely sidelined.

I understand the law works in the favour of the minority, but its the majority who suffer.

Its a strange world we live in these days.

Human nature being what it is, if a person or persons with criminal tendencies wants something and it's takable, with little or no chance of getting caught......they will do so!

When the penalty, in the unlikely event of them getting caught, is a smack on the wrist, a good talking to, a suspended sentence and/or a few hours community service.....doubly so!

Until the punishment fits the crime and is a genuine deterrent to all lawbreakers, that means irrespective of whoever or whatever they are (or claim to be!) this situation will continue and worsen.......the only thing lawbreakers understand is deterant by fear, both corporal (maybe in the form of public flogging etc?) and capital punishment.

With the police unable or reluctant to protect people and property....what do the authorities expect the ordinary man in the street to do? Nothing? Let anarchy rule?