Ugly house

AVB

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thunderbird there is nothing wrong with that three Storey house. It's a design of its time and they will become vogue at some point.

I live in a self build so the design is as close to what we could get via planning to what we wanted. A dormer bungalow with white silicon base render k-tend type stuff think it was Alumasc we used and dark slate too all roofs the bricks up to render are the blue engineering bricks look slate coloured and my patio is also dark slate along with plum slate chipping to the garden and drive. Not everyone's taste but I like the clean lines of it and low maintainance, it's by no means a Cotswold stone cottage with split stone tiles and wisteria growing across the door. And easy to live in well will be when I get it completely finished. Funny how other things get in the way of doing the jobs every free moment. Like shooting and fishing and days out with wife until I get when will you finish this etc. :lol:

Let's face it we all have differing takes on ugly. A concrete bunker isn't what I'd call pleasing and dammned ugly but someone will like it. Look how many ugly people are married.

If you think your house is ugly outside look at the path when you aproach it and enjoy the beauty inside.

Some really good points in that post Figgy.

Design is such a subjective thing and I've seen some award winning houses that I think are utterly awful and other houses that I think have looked fantastic, but people knock down to build some concrete monolith in its place.

From my perspective the prize for ugly house would go to Mungler's before picture. Small boxes in a bigger box with a bit of adornment in the partial cladding, fugly indeed.

AVB's gaff has proportion between the house lines and window sizes, etc so they work together, it could certainly be a handsome house. The proportion and spacing of the glazing bars is almost like an art deco style which doesn't suit the strong angular lines of the house, if they were replaced with single large panes I think it would look so much more at ease with itself. Garages are fugly.

Thunderbird's old Bristol house is almost like an example of half hearted Modernism, very much a product of a fashion at the time, but not a classic design example of the type I fear.

The style is quite Swedish in that 60's early 70's design with the big clear pane windows. Lots of houses of that design and they weather well, rooms inside are big and square with plenty of light, usually fitted originally with forced ducted central heating as that was the modern in thing when that type of house was built. Friends of mine as a child lived in similar houses.

Munglers has been doubled in size.

We have been renovating our 4 bed chalet bungalow for 3 years now,all we have to do now is downstairs bathroom/en-suite to bedroom which is used as dogs room/office,got to cut new window into side of bedroom and move the two in bathroom to one central window.

Outside,conservatory 5m x 4 m and 40m2 of patio and planters is all done,so just have to landscape down to orchard.

Then thats it,this is the last one ever,unless we get ppm on the plot at side,then would build house for our daughter who is struggling to get on the property ladder.

To the op,windows were/are a feature given the oversize look,but as has been said,just change the windows,oh and level up the lawn to the path and flat roof garage is a negative.

Just an excuse to show off your house.

People show off their guns, cars etc, no difference showing off Ones house Wayne!

Looking at some of the photos, people obviously take much pride in their homes, it's a good thing in my books but not for everyone and I respect that also.

Some great photos and commentary on this.

For me it's windows (size, appearance and colour) and roof (lines and tiles) that make all the difference.

AVB needs to hire my Mrs (the brains of the outfit) as a design consultant.

Edit

I'd love to post a picture of my kitchen (the ground floor of the right hand side extension) to show what can be done with thought and in a budget.

The kitchen was sourced and installed by Stealthstalker and the electrics done by Miffy - proper grafters and true friends who I met off here!

Edited by Mungler

Just an excuse to show off your house.

I'm not sure, the OP was asking advice on how to make his house more pleasing.

How can we make our houses look nicer?

It's an open forum, is there a size/finance line that people mustn't cross on PW?

Kyska some are obviously jealous of what others have or have made for themselves, happens everywhere. Here on pigeonwatch won't be any different.

As others have said they may show off their guns or shooting prowess big bag days cars or whatever but don't like others having more. Not allowed to say what I think of those types due to swear filters etc but there no better than antis.

Edited by figgy

I didn't think from any of the posts that someone is 'showing off'

What would I change?

Windows to sage green ( get rid of those silly Georgian bars)

Front door dark

Render painted in light primrose or equivalent and get rid of those ugly alarm boxes - sleek Texecom one in their place.

Hanging baskets are too 'George n mildred'

If I had the cash though how about-

Re roof in terracotta type roof tiles

Windows sage green

And top half of the house in Sussex hung tiles and lower remove the render.

Edited by Jaymo

I thought you could change the tiles but thought it would be expensive, probably end up with a loft extension, hope there will be some picks next summer showing the new and improved house.

There is an American program on the home channel I think husband and wife show people a few houses having been given a budget, buy a house and completely renovate it inside and out, quite a good watch.

Found a closer picture

attachicon.gif8303_SAF140126_IMG_10_0000.jpg

Somebody suggested changing the windows would help.

No I agree with you ,that is a pretty ugly house, it's obviously been rendered to cover up the ugly red brick which is cheaper to build with than stone.The windows again butted right up to the wall ends indicate a very small section of wall otherwise these would have been set further back. My remedy would be to encase the lot in some nice honey coloured stone, and get some beautiful Yorkshire slates on the roof.. from Auntie. ;):whistling:

Some nice houses on here AVB yours looks very nice and as others have said the windows seem to be the only thing letting it down (but it's still nice) & Mungler yours is awesome, nice work.

Mine has two different types of brick (original and extension) and I'd like to do something that would cover at least one of them (I thought of rendering but seen a few naff jobs).

AVB, what stands out to me are the windows and their darker surrounds and the 'flatness' of the front - it almost has a hard appearance and I think it needs to be softened. Moving the garages will help no end. I'm not sure it would stand a porch but see if you can put one on with some software. The flatness is mirrored in the front patio so think about that. I'd also look at the clever use of planting either in the ground or in pots and I think these may have to be substantial.

I recall from some years back there was a program on TV where houses were transformed by adjusting their exteriors, not massive rebuilds, but planting, cladding, simple additions, that sort of thing so you might find some inspiration out there somewhere.

Edited by yod dropper

AVB, what stands out to me are the windows and their darker surrounds and the 'flatness' of the front - it almost has a hard appearance and I think it needs to be softened. Moving the garages will help no end. I'm not sure it would stand a porch but see if you can put one on with some software. The flatness is mirrored in the front patio so think about that. I'd also look at the clever use of planting either in the ground or in pots and I think these may have to be substantial.

I recall from some years back there was a program on TV where houses were transformed by adjusting their exteriors, not massive rebuilds, but planting, cladding, simple additions, that sort of thing so you might find some inspiration out there somewhere.

Yes the garages and patio are on the list and I have added the windows to that list. The wife wants a porch (I have tried to convince her that a Porsche would be better) and I agree that would help with the 'flatness' but I am not sure how it would work with the roof being right above it.

The shallow pitch of roof is what bugs me. It's also a pain internally as headspace in the loft is low. I think it would be a different house with a steeper pitch but I think replacing it is a step too far.

I genuinely didn't come on here to boast and didn't intend posting photos until people asked. I wanted to get some ideas of software and that has spawned into some genuine good debate and things to consider.

I still await a picture of Kyska's 'ugly' house. I think he realises it isn't as bad as mine and doesn't want to admit it.

Munglers transformation is amazing. Put the two pictures side by side and 99% of people wouldn't realise they are the same place. Good job.

I live in an ugly house. I mean real ugly. Imagine a house spawned from the loins of Corbyn and Abbot and that's my house. Anyway I was wondering whether weatherboarding it would soften the ugliness. However, the house has a relatively low pitch roof and I am worried that the weatherboarding wouldn't go well with the roof. Any ideas how I can get a an idea of how it would look like? Is there any software I can use to modify a picture to see what the effect would be like? I know there is photoshop but I have no idea if that could do such a thing.

Cheers.

It's a house of its time and you've worked yourself up into a lather that it's awful. Personally, I think it has kerb appeal and I bet it would sell quickly if you wanted to move on.

Have a look a houzz.com - lots of architects post rebuilds and the like.

Alternatively, sell it and move to a style of house you like

• 2 years later...

Remember this post from 2017? Well we just got the windows done and I must say it has transformed the place. It still isn’t a pretty house house but imo definitely less ugly than before. I have also received planning permission to demolish the brick garage and replace with an Ok cart lodge. But that will have to wait. 

I was amazed at the low cost of the windows. 21 windows (across front and back) plus front door. How much? 

8D52D329-6517-4CDF-B9B9-2FA706CDA27A.jpeg

I think that I see your problem.  Although the house looks superb imo, it has the initial appearance of being too 'symetrical' , ie, everything is square / 90 degrees, etc, if you get my drift!  There is no part of the front that 'leaps out' as a feature!  To some people ( not me), if a house is too perfect, it kinda freaks them out...they like a bit of querkyism (new word!)  Perhaps that's just me being a smart alec!  There again, I do talk ********!