• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, JDog said:

£18,500.

They were £11,500 inc. VAT.  

We avoided the big companies and got quotes from three local companies all with good recommendations. All were within £1k of one another. I am just surprised there is any profit in it at that price. Vat is 20%, cost of windows and door, team of three fitting. I was expecting £18-20K.  

1 hour ago, AVB said:

They were £11,500 inc. VAT.  

We avoided the big companies and got quotes from three local companies all with good recommendations. All were within £1k of one another. I am just surprised there is any profit in it at that price. Vat is 20%, cost of windows and door, team of three fitting. I was expecting £18-20K.  

Probably part of the reason that DG firms go out of business so regularly, it is a volume play at the price point and any lull becomes punishing.

I did diligence on a window manufacturer last year and the rate at which windows are produced is phenomenal.  There are only a handful of manufacturers so no matter who the installers are you are likely to be getting a product from one of 3 or 4 producers at most.  That helps to keep the product cost down as the high volume of manufacture supports a low price point.

Although your windows have large frames, they are very cheap to make, the glazed panels are all sensibly sized so the cost is kept low.

The door blanks are made by only a few vendors too, just the outside dimensions need to be modified to fit the frame, the door furniture differs and where the the letter box is, etc that mean a level of custom fit, but all done on a single machine and takes 10-15 mins.

After that it is about the quality of the tradesmen they use to do the job.

Definitely an improvement in the aesthetics of the house, but i liked how it looked anyway.

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 20:17, AVB said:

Here we are. I'll try to get a closer one tomorrow. As you can see it is already three quartered rendered. Ugly or what!

what it really needs,

is a couple of old sofas chucked out on the path, with a shanty shed on the side with a loosely tied tarpaulin for a roof, a dozen or so kids bikes strewn across the lawn, and a transit van or two, up on blocks preferably. then to finish it off, the entire contents of two wheelie bins tipped out right by the front door, that'd do nicely

Edited by Paddy Galore!

57 minutes ago, Paddy Galore! said:

what it really needs,

is a couple of old sofas chucked out on the path, with a shanty shed on the side with a loosely tied tarpaulin for a roof, a dozen or so kids bikes strewn across the lawn, and a transit van or two, up on blocks preferably. then to finish it off, the entire contents of two wheelie bins tipped out right by the front door, that'd do nicely

EXCELLENT...:lol: