Howler of an afternoon

Dr D

Unexpected half day off so I decided to scout around. Started looking about 2ish and found very little in an hour and half.

I was determined to shoot so decided to plump for a cut field of barley where I know a flight line can develop from nothing if the wind gets up. This was just such an afternoon. 40 plus mph at times according to the forecast.

There was literally nothing in the air when I arrived, but by 4 pm a few birds started to show.

The strong southerly required a quick repositioning, but it was worth it.

I picked up 47.

Just goes to show. If you know your ground then you can sometimes pull a bag out of the hat.

Well pleased.

Excellent bag in the short time you were shooting Dr D , all our barley is finished now , including the spring barley , its been dry enough for combining the last few days and we have now got 100s of acres of wheat stubble scattered all over the place , today I went on some wheat stubble that still had some bales on it , unlike where you were shooting we had very little wind and strong sunlight , although it was nice and relaxing , shooting wise only produced a bakers dozen and I had packed up by 4.45 to look over some of the other stubbles and I am afraid with what I saw I have got to be content with smallish bags for the time being .