Length of pull confusion

Wingman

Hi guys

I went to pick up a new (old) gun from my RFD today and ended up walking out with an entirely different one a virtually mint lanber sporter deluxe. Anyway this gun has a very well fitted stock extension making the LOP bang on 15 inches. My usual clay gun (perazzi MT6) has a LOP of just over 14 inches but when I mounted this lanber it felt pretty good although longer than I am used as it also has 30 inch tubes. Anyway I just returned from a quick 50 bird round at AGL and I was hitting birds well with the new gun. So that's led me to being a little confused about how critical LOP is and whether I should have the gun shortened. I don't think it warrants having it professionally fitted as I plan to use it as a knockabout pigeon gun.

Any thoughts or advice?

post-76330-0-26442600-1502980473_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wingman

From my experience the shape, angle and radius of the grip and to a degree comb height can effect how lop "feels" in other words you may think 14 1/2" (for instance) is "your" preferred lop BUT only on that gun, other guns for reasons outlined above may require less or more for it to feel correct.

So, what happened to the sarasqueta? Best you nip back and get that one as well, methinks. :yes:

I went with cash in my pocket intending to buy the sarasqueta but the guy mentioned he was having a clear out of his cheaper guns. I asked him what else he had and he showed me a few and this lanber caught my eye. She's a beauty in good nick and multichoke! So the poor old sarasqueta remains on the rack looking for a home..

15 inches isn't actually that long anyway is it? Guerinis seem to come as standard with 14.8inch stocks so I will probably leave it for now.

Edited by Wingman

Length of pull which is measured from the center of the front trigger [single in this case] to the center of the stock end . Differences will occure as different guns will have the trigger in different places relevent to the face of the action thus affecting seeming length ,this coupled with the shape of the hand can also affect the apparent length be it straight ,semi or full pistol . As will the shape of the heel or butt end largely on how much toe .

There are many factors involved but when it comes down to it one gun will feel right even if the stock measurements do not meet your normal expectations . I have proved this time and time again in my working life .One example is giving a man whop "needed a long stock " a gun who he said when mounting that it could have been made for him , but then immediatly rejected it when I told him the stock length was shorter than "the length he needed " .

Basicaly if it feels right it is .

Edited by Gunman

length of pull will affect felt recoil, Before i sent some stuff to scrap i extended a gun to 17 inches and shot it cutting it down each time by an half inch. The test took rather longer than i was expecting because at 17 inches it was like being hit in the shoulder by a sledge hammer ( genuinely hurt me and was unwilling to shoot for a week at least ), if you look at your body position with a long stock you have to stretch your body, arms ect, this gives you less room to move when the gun recoils, the guns now recoiling into a shoulder that has nowhere to move; by the time i got to 15 1/2 inch the recoil was bearable but seemed to get to a sweet spot about 14 1/2 for me. ( all my guns are stocked to 14 3/4 ) at 13 inches the gun was far too loose in my shoulder, ended up with a gap between my shoulder and the stock which allowed the recoil to accelerate the gun into my shoulder.

Lots of other factors to gun fit in terms of getting the gun to fit properly but from this little experiment i think length of pull is important in felt recoil, a gunstock too long means your stretching your arms and body, which gives your shoulder nowhere to move with the recoil. Too short and you have a gun that's bouncing around in your shoulder. Everyone will have an ideal length but probably 3/4" either side of that measurement is bearable/usable. Why i think this matters is when you have young shots, or ladys or any novice for that sake who takes a gun off the rack, especially a novice who is fearful of or anticipating recoil there is a good chance that the gun that is fine for you will give your mrs or kids a sore shoulder.

Just thought that might be interesting. Was shooting 28 gram hull imperial game for the testing, gun was about 7.5 lbs just from memory.

Lop is very important thing that affect it vary most have been highlighted by Gunman but other facts as well including balance and weight of gun have a marked effect on the length of pull.

For example somes 12 bore OU SP1 could be 15" lop but their 28 bore OU SP1 is likely to be closer to 151/2".

This over long gun scenario is one of the biggest factors of husbands/fathers (and other) putting off women and kids as their well fitting 12 bore kick the hell out of the novice who then doesn't want to touch a gun again.

I went with cash in my pocket intending to buy the sarasqueta but the guy mentioned he was having a clear out of his cheaper guns. I asked him what else he had and he showed me a few and this lanber caught my eye. She's a beauty in good nick and multichoke! So the poor old sarasqueta remains on the rack looking for a home..

15 inches isn't actually that long anyway is it? Guerinis seem to come as standard with 14.8inch stocks so I will probably leave it for now.

hello, did you not like a sarasqueta ? although i think lanber are just that bit more refined guns having had both

Aprapo to nothing . Just a point about LOP , is , that silly as it sounds ,that some single trigger operation can be affected if the LOP is to long or too short Merkel is an exampole . Dont not why exactly but has to do with the gun being suficiantly anchored to the shoulder so the inertia has sifficiant resistance .

This only affects a few guns directly but has been a factor with novices ,Ladies and youngsters .

Aprapo to nothing . Just a point about LOP , is , that silly as it sounds ,that some single trigger operation can be affected if the LOP is to long or too short Merkel is an exampole . Dont not why exactly but has to do with the gun being suficiantly anchored to the shoulder so the inertia has sifficiant resistance .

This only affects a few guns directly but has been a factor with novices ,Ladies and youngsters .

That is surprising for Merkel - as my Merkel single trigger is mechanical (not inertia).

I spent many hours working on Merkel triggers when I uaed to do warrentee work for the importer . This was actually Merkels suggestion as to potetial problems .

I can see how an inertia trigger may be affected by LOP (altered recoil movement characteristics), but a mechanical that operates even with no recoil (i.e. snapcaps) seems strange. Fortunately my Merkel single trigger works fine (but I still prefer the double trigger which is actually on a more basic model Merkel!)