Warning regarding sharing pics online!

DanBettin

Brand new to this forum, thought I'd add some value with a little bit of caution .

I'm a software developer (nerd) and have done some work with image manipulation lately as part of some projects I've been working on. One thing worth mentioning is the image metadata you might not be aware of. Images have what's called EXIF data embedded within them (apologies if you already knew this).

This EXIF data is as comprehensive as it can be, device details etc. but what's really interesting is that location (precise latitude and longitude) can be stored against it. If your camera app on your mobile has permission to access location, it may be embedding this data in your images. When you share these images, you share the EXIF data too. Of course, some platforms (this forum, for example), may compress the images and get rid of all of this metadata (whatsapp does), but some platforms don't.

Given the sensitivity of some of the pics you might post here (we don't want every tom, **** and harry to know we own a firearm and where exactly we live), maybe turn off your location permissions etc.

There are tons of EXIF data viewers if you google for them.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Again, this forum may be safe from all of that - but still a tip worth knowing I hope :good:

Edited by DanBettin

Hey

Thanks for this, how should a Luddite switch this off on apple devices?

Thanks

https://www.engadget.com/2013/10/03/parenting-tip-share-your-ios-photos-without-revealing-your-exif/

That should do it mate

To quote:

"Tap on Settings > Privacy > Location Services and then scroll down to the Camera app to make sure it is toggled off"

Edited by DanBettin

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Is the metadata actually removed when an image file is edited (compression, cropping, etc), or does it remain there in a form accessible by any malicious person with something a bit more sophisticated than the ordinary EXIF viewer?

All my editing is done using an old version of PaintShopPro7 (dated 2000), and the only EXIF viewer I have used is part of IrfanView.

If you post to face book don't worry their compression screws everything up and removes the metadata.

To be honest it doesn't bother me if you know where i was, because i am not there by the time you see the pic, and it is fairly obvious i have weapons , i think the slips being loaded into the vehicle and the shotgun belt over the shoulder is a giveaway :lol:

But be careful if you are slipping off work and posting pics, your employer may well see and read the data, time and place = busted

Makes me laugh seeing these threads, because ultimately everyone freaks out and disables their location services, which means theres another headache when people need to use things like google maps, or use a photo to remember where they were when they took it.

Im pretty nifty with a PC too and contrary to OP, Ill say that if you use a reputable image hosting service, like Imgur.com, they will strip your EXIF data to protect your privacy.

Panic over.

Edit. So nifty that my iPhone decided not to put any apostrophes in the right places and now wont let me edit them...

Edited by Billy.

Makes me laugh seeing these threads, because ultimately everyone freaks out and disables their location services, which means theres another headache when people need to use things like google maps, or use a photo to remember where they were when they took it.

Im pretty nifty with a PC too and contrary to OP, Ill say that if you use a reputable image hosting service, like Imgur.com, they will strip your EXIF data to protect your privacy.

Panic over.

Edit. So nifty that my iPhone decided not to put any apostrophes in the right places and now wont let me edit them...

I did acknowledge that some (granted, most) platforms will strip the exif data. But it's a fact that some don't. I don't see anyone panicking, but I think you'd agree that when it comes to anonymity and firearm ownership - probably better safe than sorry. What features are you using which you depend on geo-tagging for? Think the extra level of caution outweighs bein able to plot your pics on a map. Edited by DanBettin

I did acknowledge that some (granted, most) platforms will strip the exif data. But it's a fact that some don't. I don't see anyone panicking, but I think you'd agree that when it comes to anonymity and firearm ownership - probably better safe than sorry. What features are you using which you depend on geo-tagging for? Think the extra level of caution outweighs bein able to plot your pics on a map.

Do you not think that it is a bit late to start worrying about any data saying where you were when you have just posted up a pic of you and your gun lol,

Your personal security is your concern ,but if you are so concerned don't post pics of you shooting.

It always makes me laugh when people mention the EXIF data yet their biggest threat is they have shown their face and their weapon to anyone who can see the pic ,let's not forget the thousands of vehicles driving around with BASC stickers or other shooting parafinalia.

Do you not think that it is a bit late to start worrying about any data saying where you were when you have just posted up a pic of you and your gun lol,

Your personal security is your concern ,but if you are so concerned don't post pics of you shooting.

It always makes me laugh when people mention the EXIF data yet their biggest threat is they have shown their face and their weapon to anyone who can see the pic ,let's not forget the thousands of vehicles driving around with BASC stickers or other shooting parafinalia.

This was never meant to cause 'panic' or be portrayed as 'the biggest threat', I didn't say that anywhere, just a bit of advice that's all.

The advice is not for people who wish to post their face in the pic, that's obvious - I shouldn't need to explain that.

Still waiting to hear why you wouldn't turn geotagging off, though.

If you want to post pics of your gear, maybe to get help with something on this forum, for example, and you use a hosting service that doesn't strip exif data, this might help you a bit. That's all.