Decent weekend away locations.

Bumble

Hi folks,

I'm in a bit of bother; the missus was in the process of booking up a 4-day trip to France in October on a 'gourmet tour' for my birthday, but I refused to go as I'd be missing 4 days beating....

Anyway, it's now my job to find somewhere nice for us to go next year (after 1st of Feb!) to make up for being 'a massive ****'.

Can anyone recommend any decent get-aways? Town or country, it doesn't really matter (not London though!), and we both like a bit of culture and good food.

Cheers!

hello, depending on where you are located you cannot beat some york-shire hospitality and maybe a drop of tadcaster ale, if you are going to push the boat out, not literally :rolleyes: but i would also consider that fine city of Dublin, lots to see, some good places to eat, a glass or 2 of guiness and my favourite music.

Really all depends on where you are and how far you are prepared to travel.

Given that your missus was going to do a gourmet tour and you like good food, what about doing a residential cookery masterclass type thing.

Capitalising on OPP's suggestion about Yorkshire and Tadcaster ale you could visit Hazlewood Castle. In between Leeds and York, 5 mins from Tadcaster, they do gourmet cookery lessons, lots to do on site including a spa for the missus, you can shoot clays or throw axes.

If you're looking at going abroad, try Ljubljana in Slovenia. Fly with Wizz airways from Luton (£85 odd return). Fantastic food - Boar, Venison, Bear (!) , great wines, very friendly people. Stay in Grand Union Hotel near main square.

Cornwall? Home of a good pasty and some cracking ales. Padstow and other coastal town are home to some well renowned chiefs such as Jamie Oliver and Rick Stein.

And Nathan Outlaw of course, voted best seafood restaurant in the UK on a day or two ago, in Port Issac, lovely place! And your in cornwall so its all good

The best weekend away I've ever had was in Feb this year. Stayed at Lynmouth for Valentines weekend in a little place called the Bonnicott hotel. A refurbished former rectory with beautiful rooms, sea views and exquisite food.

We've been back since and are already looking at next year for a couple of breaks.