Return line

Dr D

Got home a little early today and headed straight to spot I know has a return line. I shot from 4.30 to 5.45 and ended up with a tidy bag of 20.

The behaviour of my local population has changed noticeably this year. The fields are bare till really quite late in the afternoon. In fact you would be forgiven for thinking there wasn't a bird about the place. But they are there. Hiding. Waiting for all the stubble shooters to give up and go home. Then out they come. A quick feed. Crop full and back to bed.

Tomorrow I am taking the decoys out late afternoon to shoot the field they were coming from.

Seen similar afternoon action in my kneck of the woods, nothing all day, then a quick few hours of feeding, just not had the time to get off work yet to test the theory. Are they really getting that clever? Who cares if they are, it all makes for good sport and easy is no fun, otherwise we'd all only shoot clays 😀

I must be doing something different from the above members , on a normal week ( weather permitting ) I leave mine around 1pm to travel the short distance to where I do most of my pigeon shooting , one day I will look around the area which is three miles across from one side to the other , and at this of the year I find the pigeons virtually follow the combine around so that is where I start looking on the last field cut .

The next day I leave mine at the same time with the intension to shoot , I am normally set up by 1.30 , the first 2hrs or so are not to bad , then it slow up till 4 / 4.30 , after that there is only going to be the odd shot and at 5 / 5.15pm it is time for me to call it a day and I am normally back home by 6.

One thing I don't do is to shoot the same field within a week to 10 days , and the odd day we go out shopping , I take the dog out there before I have my tea and apart from a few pigeons scattered about on the stubbles there are no amount feeding late in the afternoon .

I've also noticed pigeon activity picks up in he early evening onwards. My permission (mainly wheat and rape stubble at the moment) is virtually deserted until mid/late afternoon, not even anything flying around, then come early evening everything comes alive, pigeons everywhere!

Don't really understand why this is happening but I've changed my times to suit, and it has paid off. You have to be versatile at this game!!!

I've also noticed pigeon activity picks up in he early evening onwards. My permission (mainly wheat and rape stubble at the moment) is virtually deserted until mid/late afternoon, not even anything flying around, then come early evening everything comes alive, pigeons everywhere!

Don't really understand why this is happening but I've changed my times to suit, and it has paid off. You have to be versatile at this game!!!

It's happening because pigeons like to go to roost with full crops. If they do they don't have to get out and about so early the following day. Yesterday with Aga man pigeons only moved in good numbers from 5:30 pm.

If, as Motty says, they are feeding early morning, then more than likely they packed up feeeding the previous day early afternoon.