Tell us something nice.

general grievous

I go to M&S every lunch, usually with it being busy I find myself holding the door open for some ignoranus/self important idiot who walks through with not a thanks or any acknowledgement, not that I do it for that but it's general manners in my opinion and takes no effort.

Held the door open for a little old lady a couple weeks back who was making a b-line for the door, it felt like a lifetime as she wasn't incredibly steady on her feet walking stick in one hand, bag for life in the other but I had nowhere to be but work so I was in no rush.

She passes through the door, pauses and says thank you before asking if she could take my arm to guide her down the 4 or 5 steps from the doors into the store to which i obliged.

Before letting go of my arm she asked my name and if she may repay the favour by having a drink in the cafe upstairs so she didn't have to drink alone.

I thought why not it's 15-20mins of my lunch break that i'd end up wasting staring at a computer screen anyway.

I couldn't let her buy me a drink so asked what she'd like as she sat down at the table, had a drink and couldn't get a word in edge ways as she nattered away happy as larry with a beaming smile before jokingly proclaiming to one of the staff that I was her new toyboy.

She reminded me very much of my own grandparents who I don't see anywhere near enough of. A few things she said made me click as to how lonely (my own grandmas could be losing their long term partners and dearest friends the same as this lovely woman.

It made me realise I need to see my grandparents more whilst I still have the chance, not to take them for granted and to give them company that I imagine they would very much appreciate.

Before leaving I asked if she visited often, 'every Thursday lunch' she replied. I was off work last Thursday but will be swinging by the cafe to check if she is around tomorrow and have a cuppa with her if she is :)

Good for you. :good:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go to M&S every lunch, usually with it being busy I find myself holding the door open for some ignoranus/self important idiot who walks through with not a thanks or any acknowledgement, not that I do it for that but it's general manners in my opinion and takes no effort.

Held the door open for a little old lady a couple weeks back who was making a b-line for the door, it felt like a lifetime as she wasn't incredibly steady on her feet walking stick in one hand, bag for life in the other but I had nowhere to be but work so I was in no rush.

She passes through the door, pauses and says thank you before asking if she could take my arm to guide her down the 4 or 5 steps from the doors into the store to which i obliged.

Before letting go of my arm she asked my name and if she may repay the favour by having a drink in the cafe upstairs so she didn't have to drink alone.

I thought why not it's 15-20mins of my lunch break that i'd end up wasting staring at a computer screen anyway.

I couldn't let her buy me a drink so asked what she'd like as she sat down at the table, had a drink and couldn't get a word in edge ways as she nattered away happy as larry with a beaming smile before jokingly proclaiming to one of the staff that I was her new toyboy.

She reminded me very much of my own grandparents who I don't see anywhere near enough of. A few things she said made me click as to how lonely (my own grandmas could be losing their long term partners and dearest friends the same as this lovely woman.

It made me realise I need to see my grandparents more whilst I still have the chance, not to take them for granted and to give them company that I imagine they would very much appreciate.

Before leaving I asked if she visited often, 'every Thursday lunch' she replied. I was off work last Thursday but will be swinging by the cafe to check if she is around tomorrow and have a cuppa with her if she is :)

Good man!

Its a shame that more people don't give some time for the elderly, loneliness must be terrible for some of these people when they lose a life long partner.

Some months back the wife went away for a long weekend with some work colleagues (4 days), I was amazed at how lonely I felt, especially at night and getting up in the mornings with no one to talk to.

So well done to you for taking the time to make this elderly lady feel wanted again :good:

That's very nice. Sounds a bit of a 'cougar' though.